Best Cruise Line for special Ocassion

nckvilledudes

Nckvilledudes,

The various suggestions that have been proffered have been excellent. There have been a broad range of tastes and pocketbooks exhibited. Now, I'm going to add my two cents worth.

Have you considered celebrating your special occasion on a ship that will be celebrating a special occasion during her life too? The QM2 will head 'round the Horn of South America for the first time early next year. On an inaugural cruise like this there is generally a large turn out of dignitaries, media, politicos, and ordinary folk interested in seeing a ship when she makes a maiden visit. And of course this Cunarder is no ordinary ship, and she draws a lot of attention where ever she sails.

My partner, 58, works at the University of Cincinnati, and I'm, 45, and an RN. It would be nice having another RN onboard. Also we have found both the crew and passengers on QE2 and QM2 to be very gay friendly. During the six night Tandem Crossing on the QM2 last year there were two F.O.D. parties held.

In order of preference we have been on the following cruise lines together:

The Delta Queen Steamboat Co.

Cunard

Holland America Line

Carnival

NCL

We were also on American Hawaii Cruises together, but they are now unfortunately defunct.

Never have we run into any problem with any of the staffs giving us a hard time about being gay. Cunard and NCL regularly holds F.O.D. parties during their cruises.

Home is Covington, Kentucky, right across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, Ohio, but when the other half retires in 4 years the plan is to move to Charleston, SC.

nckvilledudes,

We certainly did enjoy our Celebrity trip to Bermuda as much as we enjoyed our Crystal cruises. The Bermuda trip was a bit different than many other cruises because we were at the same island for five nights...two nights at St. George and three nights at Hamilton. It was very easy to come and go from the ship throughout the day and night. Bermuda is absolutely beautiful, with some of the friendliest people on Earth, and it is a very easy island to travel around. There are many, many things to do and of course, there are awesome beaches that are perfect for doing nothing.

Crystal is a bit more 'higher end' than Celebrity and generally more expensive, but we feel that it's worth it. I guess that I don't remember our accomodations being smaller on Crystal than on Radisson. We usually don't spend very much time in the room anyway...as long as we have a balcony, we're happy! We used to stay in suites all of the time, but we came to realize that it was just a waste of space. The more casual, free style dining is a wonderful way to cruise, but we've never felt restricted by the traditional dining styles (specific seating times, tables and manner of dress) of Crystal and Celebrity, and I love seeing my partner in a tuxedo...very handsome! We usually sit at a table for two because, even after all of these years, we really enjoy spending time alone together. There are more than enough opportunities to meet people and make new friends during the rest of the cruise. By the way, we usually meet more gay couples on Celebrity than on just about any other cruise line, but I can't recall any cruise on which we've not seen at least a few other gay couples/singles.

Rereading this thread, it seems that you've been given tons of information and opinions. I hope that it helps you to make your decision. Have fun!

backes,

Do you normally arrange your own air transportation to the port you are leaving from??

Have you had a room with a balcony on Celebrity??? If so how did you enjoy it??? I think having a balcony would be a really cool way to vaction on a crusie line.

Dan and Miguel

nckvilledudes,

When we fly to a port, we usually arrange our own air transportation. When we sail from Port Canaveral or Jacksonville, we usually drive since we live so close. We're cruising around Hawaii in September, and we made our own airline arrangements because we had some frequent flyer miles to use, plus we wanted to spend a few days in Honolulu before the cruise. We did have Celebrity make our flight arrangements when we went to Bermuda because we sailed out of Norfolk and we didn't want to drive that far. We were very happy with their service and the arrangements that they made. We're driving down to Canaveral in two weeks for RCCL's Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise. We just booked this last week because we were both able to arrange for the time away from work (coordinating our schedules is never an easy task). We 'shopped' on line for what cruises were available at that time, and we found this one. We usually don't care for the mega-sized ships as much as the smaller ones, but I'm sure that we're going to have a terrific time!

We have had a balcony on all of our cruises except Celebrity Horizon and Zenith because they don't have balconies (they're sister ships). We were on Horizon to Bermuda, and Zenith to the Panama Canal, and we thoroughly enjoyed those cruises, even though there were no balconies; however, we LOVE having them when they are available. Coffee in the morning, reading in the afternoon and watching the moon reflect off of the waves at night on your own private balcony are all experiences that I highly recommend! If you can afford a balcony, go for it, but if you can't, or if one is not available, don't let that stop you from going.

I hope that you're having fun planning your trip. It's exciting, isn't it? Let us know what you decide upon, and good luck!

backes,

Have you ever used the Princess Cruise Line???? A friend recommended that line to us. She said it was wonderful. She left Ft. Lauderdale on a western sail to Mexico with several stops on the way. Alot of the threads say they are very gay friendly. Just wondered if you 2 had sailed with Princess?????

Dan and Miguel

nckvilledudes,

We have sailed on Princess and we did find them to be 'gay friendly.' Having said that, though, I should add that we've never been on any cruise line that we considered to be 'gay unfriendly.' I've read of other couples feeling uncomfortable on certain cruises and even of gay people who have felt unsafe on certain cruises, but we've never experienced this. Perhaps we've been lucky or perhaps it's because we tend to keep to ourselves a bit, but we've always enjoyed professional service from the staff and friendly conversation from fellow passengers. Please don't think that I'm wearing rose colored glasses...we have experienced poor service and obnoxious fellow passengers, but it had nothing to do with our being an openly gay couple. There are rude people everywhere, and every now and then, you'll run into some on a cruise, but my time is too valuable to waste on such people.

Have you thought about where you would like to cruise? If you pick a certain part of the world, like the Caribbean, Alaska, the South Pacific, Europe, etc., it may help you to decide upon a certain cruise line. Not all cruise lines sail everywhere, so your choice will be limited by your destination. The time of year that you'll be sailing will also affect your choice of cruise lines...many lines move their ships all around the world during different seasons, offering different ports of call.

There are dozens and dozens of cruises from which to choose. I hope that you're having fun planning and that you're not getting overwhelmed. I've learned a great deal on several of the other Cruise Critic Boards in addition to the Gay/Lesbian board. You might want to check out the Celebrity board, the Princess board, etc., as well as some of the boards about certain ports. The more information that you can gather, the easier that it will be for you to plan a magical cruise for your anniversary!

backes. I have started looking at the various boards of differents cruise lines other than the gay boards. Both have alot of good info and alot of questions from 1st time cruisers. Seems like alot of good interaction between the people of the cruise line boards, both gay and straight. I have not seen any negative comments from anyone when a gay couple has joined in on the cruise line boards they are sailing. Been very surprised. So still gathering info. Good luck on your next cruise. I have noticed alot of people post their email address on the boards.!! Is that safe or wise???

Dan and Miguel

nckvilledudes,

I've always found Cruise Critic to be a very friendly, informative place. I don't think that posting an email address is unsafe or unwise...a simple push of a button will eliminate any unwanted messages. Of course, I never open a message if I don't recognize the sender. Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't see any harm in corresponding with others via email.

We're leaving in a couple of hours for a week on RCCL Mariner of the Seas. If you'd like to continue our 'conversation' via email, please feel free to contact me at HHICruisers@aol.com Of course, I probably won't reply until next week, but I do sometimes check email while cruising. I'd be more than happy to chat with another 'Caroliner' about cruising, traveling, etc.

Take care!

Try Oceania Cruise Line. We took our first cruise on their ship ,Insignia, and loved the entire experience. Resort casual is the rule every day which I like. Food and service was top of the line. We booked another cruise on one of their other ships.

I am in the process of booking a cruise on the Oceania Regatta leaving Fort Lauderdale for the Caribbean on Jan.3. My partner and I were attracted to the line in part because of the no formal night attire, and it seems to be less "glitzy" than some of the other lines.

• 2 weeks later...

backes,

Let me know when you are back from your RCCL cruise and I will email you. Hope you two have had a wonderful time. Interested in hearing your review of the cruise. Hope to hear from you soon. BTW, your names?????

Dan and Miguel

nckvilledudes,

We're back, and we had a great time. The ship (Mariner of the Seas) is awesome, and the service, food and ports were what we expected. The weather was pretty great for the most part with just a little rain in the Caymans. We power-snorkled in Cozumel and loved it! If you have the chance, you should try it.

Have you made any decisions regarding your cruise yet? Email us when you get the chance.

Rick and Gordon

nckvilledudes,

The best cruise line I would recommend would be Princess. Based on my straight cruise experiences with them, I would say that they have fabulous ships, great service and they go out of their way to mark a special occassion. My sister's b-day was celebrated on a cruise they had. I asked the MaitreD if he could do it nicely and we got table side violinist and everything! Just be nice and you'll be in for a good time. Outside of that, most other b-day celebrations consist of the dining room staff coming over and singing happy b-day with a cake. If you want affordable with a touch of luxury, Princess is your line for this trip.

Now, I've sailed on Celebrity, but only for Atlantis gay cruises. With that said, I would say their ships are very pleasing to the eye, luxurious and contemporary in decor. The service was impeccable. How they do for a special occassion though is beyond me because to them, our presence on the charter is one huge special occassion that generally leaves them exhausted when we leave! :) I also know when trying to book straight cruises with Celebrity that their past passenger promotions stink and their prices are astronomically high. For a person like me on a budget, they're too expensive!

Just my two cents on cruise lines. I've sailed on RCI Splendour of the Seas and was not impressed with their service, food or the ship itself for that matter. I sailed on the Norwegian Dawn, which is now based on of NYC and rogue wave surfing, and that ship is very contemporary with lots of dining choices. My recommedation would be stick with Princess, or if you can afford more elegance... Celebrity.

~Jake

"A Healthy Obsession with Cruisin"

nckvilledudes,

We're back, and we had a great time. The ship (Mariner of the Seas) is awesome, and the service, food and ports were what we expected. The weather was pretty great for the most part with just a little rain in the Caymans. We power-snorkled in Cozumel and loved it! If you have the chance, you should try it.

Have you made any decisions regarding your cruise yet? Email us when you get the chance.

Rick and Gordon

backes, Been very busy at work the last couple of weeks. Your info has been very helpful. Thanks alot. Still want me to email you??? Had to deal with a couple of setbacks here.

Dan and Miguel

nckvilledudes,

Hello! We understand being busy. Sometimes an entire week will go by and we realize that we've barely even seen each other...that's why we take vacations as often as we can!

I hope that you're still able to plan something special for your anniversary. If the timing isn't right for a cruise, then something else that's meaningful for the two of you.

Please email us if you'd like...you know, Hilton Head Island is a great weekend get-away spot, and it's not too far from home for you!!!

Take care,

Rick and Gordon

If you can afford it, go with a balcony for your first cruise.

I would recommend getting a cruise travel agent to do your first cruise and get travel insurance. Book your own air in the USA. Transfers are easy to arrange. Be wary of shore excursions.

There is small book I urge you to read and it's called something

like "The Best Littel Essential Cruise Book" written by a cruise director(WEST)

Congratulations on your 20th!

Dan

Bones,

Thanks for the cruise advice. Never heard of the book you suggest. Will have to check it out. Good luck on your next cruise. RN here also. Thanks for the congrats also. How long you 2 been together???

Dan and Miguel

backes and Bones,

You both gave some kind advice to the the Sea Teacher couple who were having trouble deciding on dinner arrangements. You both sent some reassuring advice after they were getting some rather bad comments from a couple other posts. backes I will email you soon, hopefully with some good news. Thanks for all your sound advice. I know I have asked you alot of questions. You have always answered in a kind and thoughtful manner. You will hear from me via email hopefully within week.

Dan and Miguel

Your welcome on the advice. I have learned a lot from the other cruisers here.

I really recommend that little book written by a cruise director who went on 800+ cruises. You can get it online from amazon. My partner and I have been together 15 years. We took our first cruise on Celebrity Infinity in December 2001, a 7 day southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan.

Our next cruise is this September to Alaska, on a RSVP cruise from Seattle.

Have fun planning your cruise!

Dan and Ken

Bones.

Think I have narrowed it down to Celebrity or Princess. Good luck on the Alaska cruise.!!

Congrats on your 15 yrs together. Looked at your posts, we built a house together 5yrs ago. RN here for 21 yrs. How long an RN? I will check out the book you suggested. What cruise line do you like?? Again thanks for the advice.

Dan and Miguel

Dan and Miguel,

It sounds like you're narrowing in on a decision. I'm sure that you'll be happy with either Celebrity or Princess...we've always had wonderful trips with both of those cruise lines.

I love to answer questions about cruising and traveling in general. It's a way for me to remember fun times and also a way to help others in the way that I've been helped so often. Please don't ever hesitate to ask all the questions that you'd like!

I look forward to your email. Take your time in writing...I understand all too well how hectic a medical professional's schedule can be! We're headed up to New York for a few days, but will be back over the weekend.

Take care,

Rick and Gordon

Bones.

Think I have narrowed it down to Celebrity or Princess. Good luck on the Alaska cruise.!!

Congrats on your 15 yrs together. Looked at your posts, we built a house together 5yrs ago. RN here for 21 yrs. How long an RN? I will check out the book you suggested. What cruise line do you like?? Again thanks for the advice.

Dan and Miguel

Our new home took 30 months to build: quite a story for us to tell! It increased my commute by 20 miles but love living in the country now.

I started my nursing career in 1991.

I loved Celebrity Galaxy and our stateroom all the way forward #9006 on the Vista Deck. I could live in that room full time.

Dan

• 1 month later...

The book Bones referred to is:

"The Essential Little Cruise Book" subtitle - Secrets from a Cruise Director for a Perfect Vacation. The Author is Jim West. ISBN number is: 0-7627-0508-6 Published by the Globe Pequot Press. Price of the second edition that we have was $7.95

The book contains lots of tid-bits of information that really helped guide us on our cruise vacations.

Good luck,

Archived