2012 Cruise to Alaska-in jeopardy from Hurricane Irene

JerseyGirl1959

I think itinerary is important. Glacier Bay and Hubbard are far superior to Tracy Arm. Carnival now goes to Endicot Arm which is the least desirable. I also do not like the itineraries out of Seattle.

If it were me I would wait to do the cruise I want to do. Excursions (and everything else) are pricy and I don't think you should skimp in this area.

I'm doing Carnival's first sailing out of Vancouver next year, which is an inside passage that cruises Glacier Bay. The other sailings (out of seattle) list Tracy Arm on the itinerary. I was under the impression Endicot Arm was used only when they could not navigate Tracy Arm.

To the OP - you could get round trip Seattle tickets (the cruise ends in Seattle) and just take the train up to Vancouver for embarkation. The train is reliable and pretty cheap.

I usually use a booking site other than Carnival's to keep track of prices. It lists the itinerary of the cruise originating in Seattle too. I thought perhaps being a general travel company they had not updated the itinerary, but checked Carnival's site & it still says Tracy Arm too. Hmmm. Could be though, I've seen the changes take time to be noted on the websites. Interesting.

I usually use a booking site other than Carnival's to keep track of prices. It lists the itinerary of the cruise originating in Seattle too. I thought perhaps being a general travel company they had not updated the itinerary, but checked Carnival's site & it still says Tracy Arm too. Hmmm. Could be though, I've seen the changes take time to be noted on the websites. Interesting.

Perhaps the poster was mistaken?

• 5 months later...
VB Mom, just as an FYI, we booked AK almost 3 weeks ago. Volendam out of Vancouver in August. CC posts were encouraging and my desire overwhelming. I am passing on your link re: lower/low cost excursions to another CC poster. THANKS AGAIN.

LOVE CC/TA~!

I am so happy to hear you booked this cruise. It is my favorite itinerary for a round trip. Thank you so much for keeping me updated. I love when posters come back and inform us of their plans. I will be looking forward to hearing how it went. My first cruise to AK was on the Volendam; what a great cruise it was!!! I went back to AK this past August. I hope you luck out with the weather like we did. What glorious days we had!!! Enjoy Alaska!!!

Also glad to know the link helped you out. Your itinerary is so good, that I have to say, if you can't afford expensive excursions in ports, you are still going to have an amazing vacation in AK. Planning ahead for your port visits is essential to getting the most out of the ports. Sounds like you are on the right track. It really bothers me when I meet people on the ship and they have planned nothing in the ports and just get off the ship and walk around, without even knowing what is available to see and therefore missing out. To spend all that money to get there and then they miss so much. :confused:

Be aware the ferry cost to take your car on board with you is quite high...and the cost of food and lodging also ....

I find that a cruise is always my cheapest holiday .... however I am a good shopper and always find my cruises on sale...

Surf the web to find a good deal on your alaskan cruise and fly in and out of Seattle to save money.... Check out the bargains here on Cruise Critic as well as other sites....

Take the cheapest cabin you can get ... you are still on the ship and the cheapest cruise ship cabin will be a million times better than the ferry system (believe me I have used it) :):)

Sorry about your Irene stealing your roof.

I have to agree - we used our airliine miles to get to & from Seattle. (We are taking Amtrak to Vancouver & we are taking a round trip cruise. Look around, some cruiselines have reduced rates for the 3rd person...)

VB Mom, just as an FYI, we booked AK almost 3 weeks ago. Volendam out of Vancouver in August. CC posts were encouraging and my desire overwhelming. I am passing on your link re: lower/low cost excursions to another CC poster. THANKS AGAIN.

LOVE CC/TA~!

This si our choice too - only we are goin in June. (August was more expensive & bad time for our schdules.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived