Who loves a good reuben?

kevinandrenay

Well, that answers TWO questions. 1.). What is a rueben? and 2.) why don't I know what a rueben is?

The classic Reuben is made with corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut and russian dressing on rye bread; toasted in griddle like grilled cheese. Sometimes pastrami is substituted for corned beef.

The Reuben and the Monte Cristo are two entirely different sandwiches, both very good if prepared properly. They have them both on Princess, however, they are nowhere near prepared as well as a good deli version of each. A good monte cristo should fall apart in your hands as you pull it toward your mouth.icon10.gif A good reuben should be stacked high with corned beef and seved on swirled rye bread and also fall apart. I have tried both on Princess and I do not consider them good sandwiches.

Thanks for all of your posts. I agree that a reuben on the ship will not be as good as one at a great deli but I am sure it will still be good. I figure a good reuben is better then no reuben at all.

We did 1 Carnival cruise and they had them every day in the buffet. I have to say I only had one. It was not very good. I figure Princess may do better.

I will ask in the dining room and see what they say.

I often visited the sandwich "window" during lunch on Conquest. Good selections. That is a well designed buffet room. Two lines that meet in the middle. They are manned by servers. There's also a self serve island. It's a large room with open spaces.

HAL has a sandwich section in their buffet line.

That's not practical with Princess's islands, but a cook told me if asked for a sandwich he'd make one.

HAL's Reubens are pretty good with either pastrami or corned beef, and not the processed version.

A good monte cristo should fall apart in your hands as you pull it toward your mouth.

Isn't a monte cristo that kind of battered on the outside ham & cheese sandwich? I haven't had one in years, but remember them as extremely good.

Archived