Snorkeling from shore - in Freeport and/or Nassau

Gma&Gpa

I know this has to be in here somewhere - but I just can't find it with the search. I'm getting ready for my own trip in 9 days but also trying to help my niece with some research for their cruise to the Bahamas. They would like to try some snorkeling but prefer to do it from shore. She's only snorkeled one time and her hubby has not at all. Can you give me some suggestions on what beaches they can go to that has some decent snorkeling? They really can't spend a lot of money on expensive excursions so or hoping for some suggestions. They'll be in Freeport and Nassau.

You may already have it but if you have a Wings or Eagles type store in your area that sells snorkel gear you can take that with you and snorkel in both ports without having to pay to rent them. Then you would have them for cruises in the future as well.

By the way: We will be on the Dream with you in 9 days.

They have snorkel gear - so at least they don't have to put $$ out for that. When we went to Nassau, we snorkeled from a catamaran. I was just hoping to find some particular that has decent snorkeling.

And..... can't wait for these 9 days to pass. I am SO ready for this trip.

Paradise cove- dead mans reef in Freeport... Is an excelent place to snorkel. We saw some amazing things out there including a group of about 5 spotted rays gliding through the water just feet away. It was one of the most amazing sights I'd seen. Plus Barry smith... Owner n operator is so friendly and informative. The beach alone is specatular...

Paradise cove- dead mans reef in Freeport... Is an excelent place to snorkel. We saw some amazing things out there including a group of about 5 spotted rays gliding through the water just feet away. It was one of the most amazing sights I'd seen. Plus Barry smith... Owner n operator is so friendly and informative. The beach alone is specatular...

in 100% agreement! Great snorkelling here, right off the beach! It is a little bit out, but no need to get in a boat, plus Barry 'teaches' everyone before they head off to the reef. And it was pretty cheap too...someone can correct me, but it was around the $40 mark, including transportation

I know this has to be in here somewhere - but I just can't find it with the search. I'm getting ready for my own trip in 9 days but also trying to help my niece with some research for their cruise to the Bahamas. They would like to try some snorkeling but prefer to do it from shore. She's only snorkeled one time and her hubby has not at all. Can you give me some suggestions on what beaches they can go to that has some decent snorkeling? They really can't spend a lot of money on expensive excursions so or hoping for some suggestions. They'll be in Freeport and Nassau.

You may want to check out your roll call....We are going to Dead Man's Reef in December. They are offering a group discount for our CC group. Price is very reasonable - transportation and snorkeling are included. Have fun!

I'm not a strong swimmer, but Deadman's Reef was some of the easiest snorkeling I've done. Yes, it is a distance out - but it's about four feet deep for a lot of it. I never even made it out to the reef and had a lot to see. I don't have underwater photos (left the underwater camera in the cabin:mad:), but here are a couple of my photos:

2512725970094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

This is the beach area. The reef is the land mass out from shore. Beyond the reef it's about 15 feet deep.

2424629010094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

This is me and the boys with the gear they provide. Snorkels, fins, safety belts. We were carrying our fins because the area near the shore is rocky and you need to get to the sandy area before you put on the fins.

2205012360094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Here's the beach area with the gift shop and food. The only items we got were Kalik beer for DH and me and sodas for the boys - but the food looked good.

This is really a great spot. The snorkeling is one of the best in the Caribbean I have experienced.

You can see from the picture that the reef is a ways out there.

The owner / operator is excellent as well, and is a great value.

IMG_6224.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

Yes, it's very shallow all the way out to the reef.

Interesting story....we were snorkeling there in 2005 and it started storming down the beach. We were about to work our way back to the shore when I looked up and literally right overhead me was a waterspout forming in the sky. It was pretty scary until I realized it was moving away. Once I realized it was moving OUT to sea I just laid back on my snorkel vest and watched it. It touched down and moved out to sea. I took some pics with a cheap disposable camera but it wasn't nearly impressive in the pics as it was in person. Will never forget that.

• 2 months later...

I'm a beginner snorkler also....went once in Cozumel from a beach......loved it. Went in Grand Cayman...supposed to be walk in from the beach. It wasn't......had to climb down a ladder into deep water. Not a good experience and the water was very rough the day we went.

So at Paradise Cove you can snorkel out to the reef and it is still only about 4 feet deep? That would be great to try again. Is it a private excursion?

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add this:

DeadmansReef009.jpg

This is the beach at Deadman's Reef. The reef is where the tiny rock islands are at. Even though it may appear a bit of the way out, most of it is waist deep. Note the people about 1/2 way out still in waist deep water. The yellow flotation devices around everyones waist is what they supply you with. And they are great! Also. in the foreground you will notice that they have showers for knocking the salt off at the end of your swim.

DeadmansReef008.jpg

Here is where you will find the small gift store, the grill, and outdoor picnic area. Also to the left is a picnic area that is in the shade ( just in case you have had enough).

DeadmansReef005.jpg

Hopefully this will be large enough so that you can see the menu.

Archived