Parental Consent form

Baileygirls

My kids have different surnames to me. I am aware that I need a paper trail to connect me to them whilst we cruise, do I really need the parental consent form?

Seeing as they are travelling with me, it seems silly for me to fill in a form giving ME permission to go away!?

The children live equally between both sets of parents and there is no issue about them going away.

The main issue is with some of the countries you may be going to.. In order for a child to leave Mexico (for example), either they must be accompanied by both parents or have written, notarized permission from any non-present parents.

http://travel.state.gov/abduction/country/country_508.html

http://www.aaatravelviews.com/post/2009/05/07/Sample-Permission-Letter-for-Traveling-Child.aspx This second link explains different situations in clearer language.

There are restrictions in place for many countries, so it's always better to be safe than sorry.. Wouldn't it be awful if you were denied permission to board or to go into a port because you didn't have the form!

Robin

i have a post it note from my ex in my kids passports

stating i can take them anywhere i choose.

when we cruised last yr with ncl i had no note and no consent

we were just fine

this year i have the note, but i feel that the consent is more for if i were letting my kids go with their grams or someone other than me or their dad...

My kids have different surnames to me. I am aware that I need a paper trail to connect me to them whilst we cruise, do I really need the parental consent form?

Seeing as they are travelling with me, it seems silly for me to fill in a form giving ME permission to go away!?

The children live equally between both sets of parents and there is no issue about them going away.

You would not need to fill out the parental consent form, but the parent that is NOT cruising with you would need to fill it out giving their permission for the children to go.

I do understand that in many cases there are disagreements between families and I suppose a threat of abduction but I find that quite insulting as we have already formed a verbal agreement in that I said "I've just booked a hol with the kids for april, will you have the dog" and he said "Sure"! If we had the same surname it would be irrelevant and nobody would need to give permission!!

I've looked at the form and it doesn't even seem relevant! Though I do accept that I wouldn't want to turn up without anything and be turned away. It is only Europe (Where we have been several times without written permission from the non-travelling parent) so I can't imagine any serious issues?

I quite like the post it note idea though, perhaps something more formal placed in the passport?

Last cruise out of New Orleans a family was denied boarding because the wife did not have written consent from ex to allow the kids to go. Lots of last minute effort to get forms faxed, but ex did not do it, so no trip. Why take a chance, just get the other parent to fill out and notarize the form?

NCL's website seems to be pretty clear on what is required I think?

Last cruise out of New Orleans a family was denied boarding because the wife did not have written consent from ex to allow the kids to go. Lots of last minute effort to get forms faxed, but ex did not do it, so no trip. Why take a chance, just get the other parent to fill out and notarize the form?

NCL's website seems to be pretty clear on what is required I think?

It's the principle really, but I get that one form fits all in terms of practicality! Thanks.

I do understand that in many cases there are disagreements between families and I suppose a threat of abduction but I find that quite insulting as we have already formed a verbal agreement in that I said "I've just booked a hol with the kids for april, will you have the dog" and he said "Sure"! If we had the same surname it would be irrelevant and nobody would need to give permission!!

I've looked at the form and it doesn't even seem relevant! Though I do accept that I wouldn't want to turn up without anything and be turned away. It is only Europe (Where we have been several times without written permission from the non-travelling parent) so I can't imagine any serious issues?

I quite like the post it note idea though, perhaps something more formal placed in the passport?

i didn't have the note when just my daughter and i drove to canada a few weeks ago.

it was almost 1130pm and the guard asked why were we travelling so late and if i had permission to be there. (that pissed me off, i am a grown adult, i give myself permission)

they pulled us into immigration, scared my 8yo DD, and asked the question again.

i stated when we got here at 930, and there was a bit of a line. they asked where her dad was, i said i guess sleeping.

they went into the you should have a note blah blah blah i stated he signed off on the passport, otherwise she wouldn't have one.

he gave the info about child abductions, and i said i understand, but why would i leave the country and and leave my other child at home, and my husband and my job, my house

seemed a little silly to me.

he wasn't to happy with many of my smart a$$ answers.

what do you expect i had been up since 5 am, drove from my house after working a 9hr day to sit in a line for 2 hrs. i was not a very happy person.

after that, and a wonderful weekend with my best friend and shopping we drove home. no issues getting back into the states :rolleyes:

at home i looked at the Canada site for entering the country

the note is only recommened...not required

:p

It's the principle really, but I get that one form fits all in terms of practicality! Thanks.

I understand the matter of principle, but laws are laws.. I specifically mentioned Mexico because several years ago I took my daughters to Mexico on vacation, along with a notarized note from my hubby allowing permission. I was never asked for it on the way to Mexico, but upon checking in for our return flight, I was asked for the form. Luckily, I was able to present it with no issues. And that was with my daughters, same last name, still married to hubby. I was also asked by NCL a few years ago when traveling alone with my daughter and her friend.. A sticky in your passport will not suffice if a notarized note is required, why take the chance? It's not hard to deal with the form, heck I have done it for numerous friends of my kids, even with parents who were 3000 miles away and hard to track down - a bit of a hassle, but I understand the reasoning.. Maybe the reasoning for the laws does not apply in your case, but the laws themselves do. If you have researched the laws for all the countries and feel content that no form is needed, then it is up to you whether you want to argue this fact with NCL employees if they decide to pursue the issue.

Robin

NCL's rules are quite clear. You need the form, signed and notarized by the other parent. It's not a paper trail to connect you to your kids, it's a paper trail that proves that you have your ex's permission to take the kids out of the country.

To all those that find the paperwork burdensome, insulting, or otherwise not needed, how about a little perspective on the issue: How would you feel if one of your children was taken from you, without your permission, whether by an ex or otherwise, and could simply be taken on board a ship to sail out of the country with nothing to stop it from happening? I think you'd be pretty angry with any cruise line that permitted something like that to happen.

I say stand by your principles and don't fill out the form - screw the man! You're a big girl. Stand up for your rights!

He can just take your word that you have a verbal agreement with your ex. Doesn't matter that he wasn't present to hear it! That's his problem, not yours.

Check back and let us know how the cruise went.

I clearly understand the concern Videotech. I am extrememly thankful that I am not in that position.

For the record, when we booked the cruise, the term "connect you to the kids" was used by the NCL representative, not "get permission from their other parent".

I know about the PCF simply through researching. I will do whatever I need to do, and I don't find the paperwork burdensome, I simply don't like to have someone's written consent to do anything with my children. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

What I don't understand though, is why this is essential on a cruise ship and not for a "beach holiday"?

Oviedo.. The form will be signed or letter to the same effect. Not about standing my ground, more about venting frustrations.

I find 'debating' a common issue on CC. :rolleyes:

makes the work day go quicker...

last year i had just myself and my kids going a cruise on NCL,all with passports, no questions asked at all

if NCL is going to make the PCF manditory for divorced parents to have, or one parent vacation with the kids, then why not inform all of your employees of this and/or rephrase the form to handle the debate of need or dont need.

obviously the employee sees myself, with my kids, all same name, with passports going on a closed loop cruise.

i think they are assuming i am coming back to port.

as much as i love vacations on the beach/ship, i still have my job and every other responsibilty in the world to come home to.

but i still read the form as i am giving permission for another person take my children out of the country, not that i am giving myself permission to take my kids.

I say stand by your principles and don't fill out the form - screw the man! You're a big girl. Stand up for your rights!

He can just take your word that you have a verbal agreement with your ex. Doesn't matter that he wasn't present to hear it! That's his problem, not yours.

Sure sounds like good advice as you sit on the pier waving by to your cruise and your $$$. Sure hope that is tounge in cheek.

Also you should have a notorized letter from the other party for the border in case they ask. It can smooth out the whole process.

i didn't have the note when just my daughter and i drove to canada a few weeks ago.

it was almost 1130pm and the guard asked why were we travelling so late and if i had permission to be there. (that pissed me off, i am a grown adult, i give myself permission)

they pulled us into immigration, scared my 8yo DD, and asked the question again.

i stated when we got here at 930, and there was a bit of a line. they asked where her dad was, i said i guess sleeping.

they went into the you should have a note blah blah blah i stated he signed off on the passport, otherwise she wouldn't have one.

he gave the info about child abductions, and i said i understand, but why would i leave the country and and leave my other child at home, and my husband and my job, my house

seemed a little silly to me.

he wasn't to happy with many of my smart a$$ answers.

what do you expect i had been up since 5 am, drove from my house after working a 9hr day to sit in a line for 2 hrs. i was not a very happy person.

after that, and a wonderful weekend with my best friend and shopping we drove home. no issues getting back into the states :rolleyes:

at home i looked at the Canada site for entering the country

the note is only recommened...not required

:p

If it's any consolation my daughter has the same hassle when travelling to the U.S. with her son (same last name as my daughter). She always carries her full custody papers with her.

Cute. A little over the top but still cute. :)

Sure sounds like good advice as you sit on the pier waving by to your cruise and your $$$. Sure hope that is tounge in cheek.

Also you should have a notorized letter from the other party for the border in case they ask. It can smooth out the whole process.

maybe i should just invite my ex to cruise with my new hubby and the kids :eek:

If it's any consolation my daughter has the same hassle when travelling to the U.S. with her son (same last name as my daughter). She always carries her full custody papers with her.

see i have never carried anyting other than her passport

i think it was the time of night that they were more worried about

maybe i should just invite my ex to just cruise with my new hubby and the kids :eek:

:D LOL

see i have never carried anyting other than her passport i think it was the time of night that they were more worried about

We live very close to upper NY state so cross at least once a week and refer to the border crossings as the shell game. You never know which one has the "nut" in it.

My son is 16 (will be 17 when we cruise) we will be flying into Orlando for a carribean cruise that takes in Cozumel. My son has his dads surname, I don't. Sons dad lives in Australia (we don't have any contact details) - will we have a problem in Cozumel if we don't have a note from his dad? We've been to Florida before, just the 2 of us, and been asked what relationship we are and why we don't have the same surname, but nothing more than a couple of questions at the airport.

That's the thing...I don't have anything official, no court documents or anything. As a 17year old would Immigration still cause problems?

Does he have a US passport? Didn't you need to provide this information to obtain it? If not, you could have a problem, as Mexico is one of the countries that requires documentation of parental permission (to leave the country, not enter it). Is his father's name on his birth certificate? If only your name is on the birth certificate, you might be able to use it to prove that you are the only parent. Since he is 17, you might not be asked for the documentation as much as if he was younger, but that doesn't mean that it won't happen. The laws differ from country to country, for the prevention of parental abduction out of their home country, this is why you had no problem with a domestic trip. You might want to ask a lawyer (or a reliable expert travel site) just in case.

Robin

Archived