Parental Consent form

Baileygirls

Thanks for the info fishbait - we are in the UK (should've mentioned this before!) - didn't have a problem flying from UK to USA on holiday for the last 3 yrs.

My son has a 'small' Birth Certificate - in the UK there are 2 types, the small one doesn't have parents details on it - but to complicate things further even if we got a big one with my details on that wouldn't help...When my son was born I still had my maiden name, and now I have a married name, but the married name is not the surname my son has. Long story....might have to try and track his dad down then..wouldn't know where to start!

Thanks for the info fishbait - we are in the UK (should've mentioned this before!) - didn't have a problem flying from UK to USA on holiday for the last 3 yrs.

My son has a 'small' Birth Certificate - in the UK there are 2 types, the small one doesn't have parents details on it - but to complicate things further even if we got a big one with my details on that wouldn't help...When my son was born I still had my maiden name, and now I have a married name, but the married name is not the surname my son has. Long story....might have to try and track his dad down then..wouldn't know where to start!

Ahhh, that makes more sense. Good luck!

Robin

Have been looking at the small print in a travel brochure of Thomas Cooks (agents in the UK)

If you hold a British passport then you do not need a visa to enter Mexico as a tourist. A tourist card, known as an 'FMT', can be obtained by completing an immigration card which is available at border control and also on your inbound flight, or also these are available from Mexican Consulates prior to travelling.

Your passport should be valid for at least six months from the date of entry into Mexico.

If you are travelling with children then please note that since January 2005 it is no longer an entry requirement that minors travelling alone or with one parent need a notarised letter from both parents. Minors only need a valid passport to enter Mexico as tourists.

Hopefully this means We'll be OK - but I'll keep searching

If you are travelling with children then please note that since January 2005 it is no longer an entry requirement that minors travelling alone or with one parent need a notarised letter from both parents. Minors only need a valid passport to enter Mexico as tourists.

now if every country stated everything this simple

Have been looking at the small print in a travel brochure of Thomas Cooks (agents in the UK)

If you hold a British passport then you do not need a visa to enter Mexico as a tourist. A tourist card, known as an 'FMT', can be obtained by completing an immigration card which is available at border control and also on your inbound flight, or also these are available from Mexican Consulates prior to travelling.

Your passport should be valid for at least six months from the date of entry into Mexico.

Hopefully this means We'll be OK - but I'll keep searching

now if every country stated everything this simple

The US State Department disagrees with the Thomas Cook brochure:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

Minors: Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The State Department recommends that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or the nearest Mexican consulate for current information.

njhorseman - thanks for that info, it prompted me to go on the UK Foreign and Commonwealth website. Under travelling with children to Mexico it gives exactly the same info as the Thomas Cook travel brochure does.

Think it might be worth a phonecall to double check and print the UK Foreign Office travel to Mexico page off to take with us.

makes the work day go quicker...

last year i had just myself and my kids going a cruise on NCL,all with passports, no questions asked at all

if NCL is going to make the PCF manditory for divorced parents to have, or one parent vacation with the kids, then why not inform all of your employees of this and/or rephrase the form to handle the debate of need or dont need.

obviously the employee sees myself, with my kids, all same name, with passports going on a closed loop cruise.

i think they are assuming i am coming back to port.

as much as i love vacations on the beach/ship, i still have my job and every other responsibilty in the world to come home to.

but i still read the form as i am giving permission for another person take my children out of the country, not that i am giving myself permission to take my kids.

It's not so much NCL or any cruise line making it mandatory. It's that the countries they visit have the requirement. The cruise lines tend to cover themselves by including clauses about passengers being responsible for having all documentation that might be required.

Keep in mind that you could have the same scenario you had last time, but you could also have the scenario where a port or immigration agent insists on you providing proof that you have legal authority to travel to/from another country with your children. That could be a notarized letter from a spouse/ex-spouse or a custody decree granting sole physical and legal custody with the other parent having no say in the matter or a death certificate if the other parent has died or a court order (used in cases where a parent cannot be found or is intentionally "punishing" the other). A minor having a passport does not grant a parent this authority. It only means that both parents approved the passport itself, not any specific travel. You know you have a job and responsibility to come home to, but port and immigration agents don't and they don't--and shouldn't--take any adult's word for it. Legal documents are required to prevent problems and tragedies.

beachchick

I think there should be a simpler process for those that travel separately with their children (still married) and also for those that are parted but have no issue with the other parent vacationing with the children alone. One form legalized to travel with the said children with say a 5 or 10 year expiration, so you don't have to go through this hassle or have this expense everytime you travel outside of the country with the kids.

As I read the PCF, I still read it as if I am letting someone else take my minors and having my information as needed if anything goes wrong or they cause trouble.

I understand the extra requirement that Canada and Mexico want notarized letters.

Maybe since our first cruise was a closed loop to Bermuda; NCL nor Bermuda asked for special letters since entry/exit requirements are not so strict.

And with looking at the Bahamas information it seems less strict as well.

I am not trying to get out of having the PCF signed, but it is not as easy for some parents to get the other parent to do.

I am going to call NCL and get further clarification on the PCF. So if I have to get it, I can start the long process of getting it completed before Nov 27.

As I read the PCF, I still read it as if I am letting someone else take my minors and having my information as needed if anything goes wrong or they cause trouble.

I understand the extra requirement that Canada and Mexico want notarized letters.

Maybe since our first cruise was a closed loop to Bermuda; NCL nor Bermuda asked for special letters since entry/exit requirements are not so strict.

And with looking at the Bahamas information it seems less strict as well.

I am not trying to get out of having the PCF signed, but it is not as easy for some parents to get the other parent to do.

I am going to call NCL and get further clarification on the PCF. So if I have to get it, I can start the long process of getting it completed before Nov 27.

I thought there were 2 different forms, one for single parent travelling alone and one for others taking a minor child that was not theirs.

NCL's site is very clear that you do not require the Parental Consent Form. It is for travel with a child that is not yours.

I believe consulting NCL will give you an answer as to what is required, if anything, for your trip. If you get information from NCL, get it in writing or at minimum, get the name, phone number and date/time of your conversation. Hopefully that would cover any last minute mix ups at the pier.

And, enjoy your trip.:D

NCL's site is very clear that you do not require the Parental Consent Form. It is for travel with a child that is not yours.

I believe consulting NCL will give you an answer as to what is required, if anything, for your trip. If you get information from NCL, get it in writing or at minimum, get the name, phone number and date/time of your conversation. Hopefully that would cover any last minute mix ups at the pier.

NCL's site is NOT very clear about individual country requirements. Just be aware that certain countries do require written evidence of accompanying adult's right to enter the country with the child. Canada is a prime example(and you would not pick this up just by reading the NCL FAQs...you have to actually read the Parental Consent Form to find it) Here's what the government of Canada has to say:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html#s1x2

Bringing children into Canada

Border services officers are on alert for children who need protection. Children under the age of 18 seeking to enter Canada are classified as minors and are subject to the entry requirements set out under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

A more detailed examination will be conducted for minors entering Canada without proper identification or those travelling in the company of adults other than their parents or legal guardian(s). This additional scrutiny helps ensure the safety of the children.

Minor children travelling alone must have proof of citizenship. We also strongly recommend that the children carry a letter from both parents (if applicable) that authorizes the person meeting them to take care of them while they are in Canada. The letter should include the length of the stay and the address and telephone numbers of the parents.

If you are travelling with minors, you must carry proper identification for each child such as a birth certificate, passport, citizenship card, permanent resident card or Certificate of Indian Status. If you are not the parent or guardian of the children, you should also have written permission from the parent/guardian authorizing the trip. The letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or guardian can be reached.

Divorced or separated parents should carry custody or legal separation documents and/or a letter of authorization to facilitate their entry into Canada.

If you are travelling with a group of vehicles, make sure you arrive at the border in the same vehicle as your children, to avoid any confusion.

see this is exactly what i believe,

but then you have many other parents saying you need the form, stories of families being denied boarding cause they do not have it...

eta:

Divorced or separated parents should carry custody or legal separation documents and/or a letter of authorization to facilitate their entry into Canada.

should carry, yet not required

You guys can continue to argue, counter-argue, copy, paste, highlight, etc, etc until the cows come home on this.

Is this about PROVING that you are right, or about helping the OP make a decision so that the OP can enjoy THEIR cruise?

To the OP:

Take what everyone has said so far. Notice that there is ONE single fact that CANNOT be disputed:

If you have the properly signed form, you can board the ship and go on your cruise without a problem. Nobody, I repeat, Nobody has shown where somebody was denied boarding because they had the form.

The simplest thing for YOU to do is to get the form (make sure it is the current version), fill it out, and bring it with you. With any other "advice" you run the risk of some person at the pier saying "Sorry, you can't board today". And trust me, the argument "but the people on Cruise Critic said..." isn't going to change their minds.

In the end, this is YOUR vacation. Not mine, nor anyone else's on this board. We have nothing to lose here...you do. Do the smart, simple thing...get the form and please...ENJOY YOUR VACATION.

NCL's site is NOT very clear about individual country requirements. Just be aware that certain countries do require written evidence of accompanying adult's right to enter the country with the child. Canada is a prime example(and you would not pick this up just by reading the NCL FAQs...you have to actually read the Parental Consent Form to find it) Here's what the government of Canada has to say:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html#s1x2

Bringing children into Canada

Minor children travelling alone must have proof of citizenship. We also strongly recommend that the children carry a letter from both parents (if applicable) that authorizes the person meeting them to take care of them while they are in Canada. The letter should include the length of the stay and the address and telephone numbers of the parents.

As you will notice that this states recommends to come into Canada. This is to prevent unnecesary detainment to verify there is permission. This letter does not have to be notarized or even signed. Which means an emailed or fax letter would suffice. I would recommend that the parent that is not with the child place their phone number for verification purposes, in case CBSA wishes to look further into it.

In the end, this is YOUR vacation. Not mine, nor anyone else's on this board. We have nothing to lose here...you do. Do the smart, simple thing...get the form and please...ENJOY YOUR VACATION.

Actually this back and forth is just conversation since the OP already stated that they were going to get the form signed. (post #13)

The only thing I'm still confused about is: the last time I checked the NCL website, it said that they only time you needed a letter was if you were not a parent or guardian. I can only find where Canada requires that you need documentation if you are the one of two parent's traveling with a minor. Here's the website's documentation:

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT RELEASE FORM (PDF) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

I am unable to get anything signed by my sons dad - he has been in Australia since 2004. I have no contact details for him whatsoever. There are no court documents to say I have sole custody.

If I knew where he was I would get a form wether I needed one or not after all this confusion - but I haven't heard from or seen him in 7yrs - neither has my son.

I'm struggling to find any info on the UK NCL website - but picked up the advice about asking them for an email/fax to clarify their take on things. I have emailed the United Kingdom Foreign Office for any information they can give me.

It won't because NCL doesn't have the final say and a phone representative's word (even written) will not mean a thing at the port or onboard. It will not matter if someone has a written note from NCL saying, "This is what we said," expect perhaps to go after them for a refund if boarding is denied. The laws are by country and the Immigration officers are the ones who can deny boarding or entry.

NCL doesn't require a Parental Consent Form. Okay, but they're not the one making the laws that affect this. NCL doesn't make decisions about Immigration status. And again, NCL and the other cruise lines make it the passenger's responsibility to ensure they have any and all legal documents that can be required by legal authorities. If someone doesn't have them, NCL cannot override that.

beachchick

It won't because NCL doesn't have the final say and a phone representative's word (even written) will not mean a thing at the port or onboard. It will not matter if someone has a written note from NCL saying, "This is what we said," expect perhaps to go after them for a refund if boarding is denied. The laws are by country and the Immigration officers are the ones who can deny boarding or entry.

NCL doesn't require a Parental Consent Form. Okay, but they're not the one making the laws that affect this. NCL doesn't make decisions about Immigration status. And again, NCL and the other cruise lines make it the passenger's responsibility to ensure they have any and all legal documents that can be required by legal authorities. If someone doesn't have them, NCL cannot override that.

beachchick

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived