Independance of the Seas - August 2012

scareyness

Looking for advice on this ship please?

We are hoping to cruise from Southampton late July early August 2012 to the Med. We want to go to Vigo and Lisbon in particular and on searching I of S seems to be the only ship doing this??

My main question is how many children are likely to be aboard at this time? I realise it is a large ship and has many facilities for families, but just trying to get an idea.

We are travelling without children and wanting to have a 'chill time' am I expecting too much from this ship at this time of year? No disrespect to children or families! lol :D

Just want to be prepared!

The ship will most probably have nearly 1000 children on board. Looking at your previous cruises RCI may not be for you. They are very family and children orientated whilst couples can still have an excellent time. Be warned.

Not trying to hijack the thread but we are also thinking of cruising the IOS next summer around the same dates.

We did the Eastern Caribbean on her a couple of years ago (Hi Linda, thanks for the DVD, we still watch it,lol) and were wondering how a European cruise would differ to a Caribbean one.

For example, is the currency in uk pounds now or is it still $US?

Are there many Americans aboard or is it mainly the British?

What are the drinks prices like?, I heard they are a bit cheaper around the Med. We paid between $9 & $14 for a glass of wine.

Also, does anyone have the quiz answers??? (joke).

Will have lots more questions soon, but this will do for now.

After three years of Vegas, it's good to be back on this forum and nice to have a cruise to look forward to!

Cheers

Davy !!! :D

The Independence is a magnificent ship.

We were on the August 6th Italian med cruise, with 1800 children on board.

The busy days are sea days. around the pool area very noisy with lots of children jumping, screaming etc.. getting loungers aound the pool can be difficult if you are a late riser.

There is a solarium area which is adult only. Again get up early for a lounger.

This area is a lot quieter.

Any time you travel within the school holidays will be busy.

Do not forget July/August is very very warm around the Med, excursions can be very tiring.

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

We have not sailed with the same cruiseline twice as yet, not for any other reason other the cruises we have done have been the right dates and itinaries at the time.

I have seen IOS many times in various ports and she is certainly a maginifcent ship.

We are looking at this purely for itinary from Southampton with Vigo and Lisbon amongst ports of call. We have never had any amount of children to cope with and that is a slight worry. The whole point of the cruise at this time is due to needing to get away from a situation at home :eek:

Are there any areas on the ship that are for adults only? and is this 'policed'? We have children and grandchildren ourselves so are not against them in anyway, but find it increasingly that parents do not even try to control their kids and do not worry in any way that they can upset others.

We are really keen to do this trip as the date and itinary are perfect, will certainly be doing some more research. thanks again for the replies

We have not sailed with the same cruiseline twice as yet, not for any other reason other the cruises we have done have been the right dates and itinaries at the time.

I have seen IOS many times in various ports and she is certainly a maginifcent ship.

We are looking at this purely for itinary from Southampton with Vigo and Lisbon amongst ports of call. We have never had any amount of children to cope with and that is a slight worry. The whole point of the cruise at this time is due to needing to get away from a situation at home :eek:

Are there any areas on the ship that are for adults only? and is this 'policed'? We have children and grandchildren ourselves so are not against them in anyway, but find it increasingly that parents do not even try to control their kids and do not worry in any way that they can upset others.

We are really keen to do this trip as the date and itinary are perfect, will certainly be doing some more research. thanks again for the replies

Normally, I would say: Are you crazy?! of course the ship will be packed with screaming kids!

HOWEVER, one big difference next summer is that the London 2012 Olympics are running from July 27th-August 12th, so even if families aren't going to any events, many of them will be watching at home - so you could be lucky and find the number down on normal summer holiday sailings.

More likely, you will find that the ship is packed with more adults wanting to get away from the madness of the Olympics, so that ups your chances of a quieter and more relaxed cruise.

As I have tickets for the Olympic football, I can't go away until mid August, but that's fine by me :)

The Solarium is for adults only but children will be walking through it as it is part of the main route through on that deck. You get nicer loungers their compared to the main pool area so that is definitely a plus point. Also the Spa area provides a tranquil location and has it's own adults only hot tub but is under cover.

The Solarium is for adults only but children will be walking through it as it is part of the main route through on that deck. You get nicer loungers their compared to the main pool area so that is definitely a plus point. Also the Spa area provides a tranquil location and has it's own adults only hot tub but is under cover.

the Indie does not have that lovely spa hot tub but a boxing ring in its place:rolleyes:

were wondering how a European cruise would differ to a Caribbean one.

For example, is the currency in uk pounds now or is it still $US?

Are there many Americans aboard or is it mainly the British?

Cheers

Davy !!! :D

Currency on board is $$$. There will probably be a high percentage of British and other non American cruisers. The Trivia questions do tend to be more UK oriented. There is little difference in the food except British bacon is offered (as well as American) at breakfast.

We were on the 6th August IOS sailing this year and will be on the 11th August one next year. The cruise was VERY child busy, it's almost impossible to avoid them I'm afraid, I believe there were over 1500 children on our cruise this year.

If you'd like a relaxing cruise then I dont think that the IOS during the school holidays is the right one for you. I loved it, it was fabulous for myself and my daughter but from what I could see the only "older" passengers were there as part of extended family groups. The IOS cruises that go to Vigo and Lisbon also sail during June and September so my recommendation would be to go on those dates instead if it's at all possible, you'll get far less children and it may also not be quite as hot as it is during August which would be a blessing.

Regarding nationalities, it seemed to me to be almost completely British, I think a few French but that's it, I never heard any American accents. Even though the ship sails in Europe and comes out of Southampton, all prices on board are in $s. I drank the (very nice) rose on board, it was $8 a glass or $31 a bottle. Cocktails were around $8-$10.

Starting with the Naming ceremony we have been on the Independence five times. There are children on especially in the summer, some of whom can be noisy. We are silver surfers and enjoy the ship and the ports of call. We like going from Southampton as we can take three cases as well as pour hand luggage.

The ports are good. We usually get off and have a walk round the town as we have done most of the tours to Rome Pisa etc.

Book it and have a good trip

I am from the US and taking this trip on Oct. 20. Hopefully that isn't a school holiday. Can anyone tell me what the temperature will be around that time? I'm also hoping for fewer children.

I think most schools break up on the 21st October for a week's half term break (at least they do where I live) but unless people are taking their kids out of school a couple of days early you shouldn't have it too bad.

Archived