2 Year old on Gem?

JMaryland

My husband and I considering taking our daughter (who will be almost 2) on a cruise on the Norwegian Gem in late March. Is there a lot of stuff to do for a child this age? I know non potty trained kids can not swim in the pools so I'm worried we'll have limited activities for her to do? Also is it hard sleeping in a room with small children? We are considering getting a mini suite for more room. Any advice would be welcome! Thanks :)

Your right at that age thats difficult (2) . Next year at 3 she will love the kids club more plus the pool ect.

You can bring one of those little blow up pools that take 5 minutes to inflate. I usually see them one deck up from the pool deck . Theres water spigits everywhere to fill it up just ask a crew member.

Plus you can go hang out at the kids club area with her for a little tumblin around. You will find plenty to do .;)

P.S. the CC family boards are very helpful too .

P.S.S. the mini-suites have a tub . thats a plus.

have fun

We took our kids on the Pearl last year (sister ship to the Gem).... my son had just turned 3 the day before our trip, and my daughter was 4. They had a great time, and so did we.

My advice is to book a suite if you can swing it.... if you are already considering a mini-suite, it's not that much of an increase in price, but the butler/conceirge services are WELL WORTH IT (you do not get these with a mini-suite). The butler can serve meals in your room from any restaurant on the ship... this was great as many evenings we would feed the kids in the buffet, then go back to the room and put them to bed and enjoy dinner served on our balcony or in the small dining area ( we had the 2 bedroom family suite).

Also, there is priority checkin, so no lines, and priority debarkation.... great perk when you have small kids. Also priority tendering (no waiting in long lines, and get pick of times) if you have a tender port- and priority seating at shows, so you don't have to go early and still have a great seat that you can easily leave early from. All these things are a good thing when you have antsy little kids. The butler was great- he kept a pitcher of milk in our fridge for us, and brought lots of little extras for the kids (including a pack of paper for them when he saw how they were enjoying drawing pictures of the glaciers!)

My husband and I considering taking our daughter (who will be almost 2) on a cruise on the Norwegian Gem in late March. Is there a lot of stuff to do for a child this age? I know non potty trained kids can not swim in the pools so I'm worried we'll have limited activities for her to do? Also is it hard sleeping in a room with small children? We are considering getting a mini suite for more room. Any advice would be welcome! Thanks :)

One of our granddaughters was just about 2 when she went on her first cruise. Her parents brought an inflatable pool type thing.. it was actually something that was made to use in a bathtub - as it was easier to blow up and was able to fit on the balcony. Just something for her to slash in. They also had an "under 2 zoo" one of the conference rooms set up with some toys. My daughter said the hardest part was trying to get some adult time with her husband... and that the next time she would pack "Gma_Pat":D. If you are going to use a pack and play or porta crib I would think that a mini would be the best as the regular balcony rooms are tight to begin with. Just try to stay close to her regular sleep schedule and you will all have a great time....

My husband and I considering taking our daughter (who will be almost 2) on a cruise on the Norwegian Gem in late March. Also is it hard sleeping in a room with small children? We are considering getting a mini suite for more room. Any advice would be welcome! Thanks :)

If you are unsure how well your child will do in those confined places, why not try some mock scenarios at home before you book. If possible make noises above, and beside the room your child is sleeping in and while she goes to sleep. Sleep her in a small room with you at home. Confine yourself to the room while she is napping (provided she still naps). A sheet tacked to the wall, makes a nice makeshift temp curtain like she would experience in a mini-suite. Try taking her in a stroller to a busy mall with lots going on to see if she will sleep if you have her out in the stroller at nap or bedtime. As well has your child had the opportunity of sleeping away from home lots, in different surroundings, different beds.

My initial thought to this question would have been, sure why not. But my children (and grandchildren) would/will sleep through anything short of a house falling on their ears :D. You would pretty well have to know the character of your own child to answer this question. If any of the above is not possible, I would say spend some time practicing these things and wait until she can. Otherwise you are in for a not so relaxing vacation.

My Daughter and her Husband took my then 3 year old Granddaughter and 8 month old Grandson on a Med cruise on the Gem last July. They booked an OV since my Granddaughter is very active and they didn't want to worry about her going into the sea if they had a balcony.

There was a lot to do for kids on the Gem, but my Daughter and her Husband looking back felt that having an active three year old was just too much to handle on a cruise.

It may depend on the child?

Archived