Master Mixologist contest entry?

jnky

I've searched but can't come up with the answer and can't remember.

Have a friend interested in signing up for this contest...when and where do we do it? Sailing on Liberty this weekend ~

Thanks guys

Jim

I had planned on entering too and this is the information that I have: The day you embark on the ship, look at the FunTimes, it will list a place to meet and sign up for the contest. They only have a certain number of enteries so be early. It is somewhere around 4-5pm and they will give you a locatioin. If you do not sign up, you will not get to enter. This is also the time they will give you a few minutes to work with a bartender to get some advice and practice.

Here is a list of the liquor that you can choose from. The list is from Oct of last year.

You choose one from each catagory and cannot use any soda pop as a mixer.

Group#1) Rum, Tequila or Vodka

Group #2) Melon liquor, peach schnapps, blackberry brandy, apricot brandy, rasberry liqueur, creme de banana, creme de cacao, creme de menthe, butterscotch schnapps, blue curacao, triple sec.

Group #3) Cranberry juice, pineapple juice, OJ, sweet & sour mix, pina Colada mix, strawberry daquari mix, banana daquari mix.

NO Soft Drink Mixers.

**** Here are a few tips that were given by the judges: Give your drink a catchy-name,

***** Frozen drinks seem to be more popular

****** ...... and personality counts, get up there on stage and shake-it-baby, No monotone frumpiness. For a guy, wear a loud print shirt, make yourself stand out to the crowd. ----

Good luck and have a great time.

I had planned on entering too and this is the information that I have: The day you embark on the ship, look at the FunTimes, it will list a place to meet and sign up for the contest. They only have a certain number of enteries so be early. It is somewhere around 4-5pm and they will give you a locatioin. If you do not sign up, you will not get to enter. This is also the time they will give you a few minutes to work with a bartender to get some advice and practice.

Here is a list of the liquor that you can choose from. The list is from Oct of last year.

Group #2) Melon liquor, peach schnapps, blackberry brandy, apricot brandy, rasberry liqueur, creme de banana, creme de cacao, creme de menthe, butterscotch schnapps, blue curacao, triple sec.

Group #3) Cranberry juice, pineapple juice, OJ, sweet & sour mix, pina Colada mix, strawberry daquari mix, banana daquari mix.

NO Soft Drink Mixers.

Can you choose more than one from each category? Especially category 3?

thanks

NO Soft Drink Mixers.

**** Here are a few tips that were given by the judges: Give your drink a catchy-name,

****** ...... and personality counts, get up there on stage and shake-it-baby, No monotone frumpiness. For a guy, wear a loud print shirt, make yourself stand out to the crowd. ----

Great info...thanks so much.

Glad someone from our group wants to do this ~ it's a blast!

Jim

• 5 months later...

NO Soft Drink Mixers.

The items in group #1 - Rum, Tequila and Vodka ... let's say I choose Vodka, can it be a flavored vodka (like Whipped, pineapple or cherry), do they have that available as the choice?

The items in group #1 - Rum, Tequila and Vodka ... let's say I choose Vodka, can it be a flavored vodka (like Whipped, pineapple or cherry), do they have that available as the choice?

No flavored alcohols. I was just on Triumph and I had winning drink. Was cool too have my drink be the DOD.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

NO Soft Drink Mixers.

Information you gave for alcohol and mixers is correct (as I can remember). Personality doesn't really matter as the crowd doesn't vote, it's more on taste based on 3 judges. I don't know if name matters, Carnival will censor some selection for names in the name of "family friendly". One of the drinks when I was in the contest was "Blue Virgin" and Carnival didn't like that. My winning name/drink was "Funkee Monkee" (it wasn't frozen drink).

Sign-up on Triumph was first day, and after you sign-up you still have to make the cut (not everyone who signs-up may get selected). You'll get a call to confirm if you are in the contest. You have to show up next day early in the morning for an "orientation" session as well.

Edited by bobandsherry

Information you gave for alcohol and mixers is correct (as I can remember). Personality doesn't really matter as the crowd doesn't vote, it's more on taste based on 3 judges. I don't know if name matters, Carnival will censor some selection for names in the name of "family friendly". One of the drinks when I was in the contest was "Blue Virgin" and Carnival didn't like that. My winning name/drink was "Funkee Monkee" (it wasn't frozen drink).

If one chooses to do a frozen drink - is there a frozen mix that Carnival allows you to use?

• 4 weeks later...
Ok this might sound like a stupid question, but here it goes? Do you get to try your drinks as you work on them?? I would think so, but also might end up being too drunk to know if your drink is any good??? lol:D

Yes, you get to make a drink a couple of hours before & the bar manager & all the contestants get to try it. Then you can make adjustments at the contest.

I have won half the times I entered! Well, OK, I did only enter twice, but I did win once.

I entered on the Triumph out of NOLA in March 2010 and 2011. Both times, the rules were WAYYY different, so you might have different experiences on different ships based on the crew.

Entry #1 - Only 3 people showed up to sign up. I was automatically in. They picked 2 more out of the audience just before the contest the next day. I made a "Caribbean Sea" - 1 rum, .5 Blue Curacao, and Sprite. You CAN have sprite, but not COKE because it can't have caffein in it due to allegies. At least that's what the guy told me. After we made our drink, we had to dance around to mix the drink. I almost won, but I learned a valuable lesson - the more alcohol, the higher your chance to win. The guy that won put DOUBLE everything in, even though we were told not to.

Enttry#2 - Same ship, 1 year later. 11 people signed up. 3 were disqualified because you can't use RedBull. They randomly pulled 5 signup sheets out of the 8, and I made the cut. The next day, we made our drinks. Exact same drink as last year, but this time, as I poured the shots into the mixing glass, I continued to pour extra in from the bottle. I heard the head bartender exclaim "oh, that one's gonna hurt.". I knew this was a good sign. We didn't dance this time, instead we explained why we liked our drink. The taste testers said my drink was really strong. Then they picked it as the winner. I got to keep my drink, and they gave me 2 drink coupons plus a Carnival bartender book. At the end of the cruise, the bartenders said they sold a lot of my drink. Where's my commission?:cool:

I have won half the times I entered! Well, OK, I did only enter twice, but I did win once.

I entered on the Triumph out of NOLA in March 2010 and 2011. Both times, the rules were WAYYY different, so you might have different experiences on different ships based on the crew.

Entry #1 - Only 3 people showed up to sign up. I was automatically in. They picked 2 more out of the audience just before the contest the next day. I made a "Caribbean Sea" - 1 rum, .5 Blue Curacao, and Sprite. You CAN have sprite, but not COKE because it can't have caffein in it due to allegies. At least that's what the guy told me. After we made our drink, we had to dance around to mix the drink. I almost won, but I learned a valuable lesson - the more alcohol, the higher your chance to win. The guy that won put DOUBLE everything in, even though we were told not to.

Enttry#2 - Same ship, 1 year later. 11 people signed up. 3 were disqualified because you can't use RedBull. They randomly pulled 5 signup sheets out of the 8, and I made the cut. The next day, we made our drinks. Exact same drink as last year, but this time, as I poured the shots into the mixing glass, I continued to pour extra in from the bottle. I heard the head bartender exclaim "oh, that one's gonna hurt.". I knew this was a good sign. We didn't dance this time, instead we explained why we liked our drink. The taste testers said my drink was really strong. Then they picked it as the winner. I got to keep my drink, and they gave me 2 drink coupons plus a Carnival bartender book. At the end of the cruise, the bartenders said they sold a lot of my drink. Where's my commission?:cool:

Great to know about the sprite, because I have a drink made up but it has 7 up in it, but with sprite its just as good!!! I am so hoping to win this !! Any other tips please fill me in!

Edited by jolyroger