TV on Caribbean Princess New England/Canada cruise

bernnj

Hello,

My Mother will most likely be in cabin more often than myself or my Dad due to age and health. Wondering what will be available on the cabin TV for her to watch??

Any recent travelers on this ship and sailing comments would be greatly appreciated.

My Mother will most likely be in cabin more often than myself or my Dad due to age and health. Wondering what will be available on the cabin TV for her to watch??

Any recent travelers on this ship and sailing comments would be greatly appreciated.

CNN International, BBC, ESPN, ESPN International, movies, Discovery (a selection of Discovery shows), Nickelodeon, etc. There are a couple of movie channels.

CNN International, BBC, ESPN, ESPN International, movies, Discovery (a selection of Discovery shows), Nickelodeon, etc. There are a couple of movie channels.

Thank you. Guess my parents will be recording some of their favorite shows while away.

Lets just say "not much". Cruise ships don't make money having guests staying in their cabins watching TV. Lots of repeats and foreign based news and sports updates. TV is not a strongsuit for cruising.
It has more to do with the cost of satellite TV and an international clientele. The satellites have several different broadcast options and not all stations are available. In addition, some satellites have some stations, other satellites have others. Sometimes it depends on the location of the ship. Plus, they have to pay to be on the satellite. I've been on many cruises when Americans were in the minority and the other passengers couldn't care less about US sports or TV programming.

Thank you. Guess my parents will be recording some of their favorite shows while away.

They have some old shows (2 1/2 Men repeats, etc.) on a couple of the channels, but your Mom won't be seeing Dr. Phil, the soaps, or The View. I was on the CB August 20-27 and the reception was spotty for a lot of channels, and went in and out. As Pam said, they are on satellite and a lot depends on atmospheric conditions and position of the ship.

There's a lot to watch, sometimes, but I think Mom would be much happier sitting in the Piazza, watching the people and meeting new folks than sitting in the cabin watching TV. When you sit down at one of the tables, the cast changes every few minutes and you meet people from all over the world. Plus, there's entertainment there! Or, she can go out and watch the Movies under the Stars. Even during the day there is a concert or something out there. Or, go up to Skywalkers and just watch the wake of the ship.

Have a great time! I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise. The ports are amazing, the staff fantastic and you can do as much or little as you want. I highly recommend joining the Princess Pop Choir, or at least going to hear them the last formal night. It was the most fun I've had in a long time, and I met tons of people. Tell Sam, the choir director (woman) that Maureen said hi!

Maureen

Thank you all for your valued input. My mother will enjoy the people watching during the day on the ship and does like to rest in bed (health reasons) for a few hours in the morning and afternoon. I'm sure she will be happy as my dad is such a wonderful spouse and he will have time to explore the ship when my mother rests.

They have very small DVD players which are pretty reasonable. Maybe you can one and bring some movies for her. Or if you have a laptop she can watch DVD's on it.

Thank you. Are these DVR players available to rent on the ship?

Archived