Naturalist Commentary - Princess Alaska Cruise?

Smokeyham

If you've been on an Alaska cruise with Princess, could you tell me about the running commentary from the onboard Naturalist? A couple of specific questions:

Could you hear/understand her/him while on deck?

Is the commentary broadcast on the ship's TV, so you can listen in your cabin?

Finally, I assume it is NOT broadcast over the speakers in your cabin, so you don't have to listen while in your cabin if you don't wish to?

Thanks...

Edited by Smokeyham

If you've been on an Alaska cruise with Princess, could you tell me about the running commentary from the onboard Naturalist? A couple of specific questions:

Could you hear/understand her/him while on deck?

Is the commentary broadcast on the ship's TV, so you can listen in your cabin?

Finally, I assume it is NOT broadcast over the speakers in your cabin, so you don't have to listen while in your cabin if you don't wish to?

Thanks...

I was on 8/20 Diamond Princess.

If the ship is moving, the sound out of on-deck speakers will be a little muffled for the open-air decks (14-15), though deck 7 I hear alright. If the ship if still, you hear the naturalists pretty good.

The commentary are broadcast on TV, ad not on cabin speakers.

I was on 8/20 Diamond Princess.

If the ship is moving, the sound out of on-deck speakers will be a little muffled for the open-air decks (14-15), though deck 7 I hear alright. If the ship if still, you hear the naturalists pretty good.

The commentary are broadcast on TV, ad not on cabin speakers.

Great .... Thanks!

Did you find the Naturalist's commentary to be helpful/interesting?

Our experience on the Diamond last year was that the naturalist was good...maybe just a tad to theatrical....but then again it is his/her job to keep you entrained. :)

Yes we could hear him out on deck and in your cabin it can only be pick up on your TV.

I've also had a range of naturalists. :)

Not sure if this poster is expecting a lot of narration, like during the whole trip??? But, is very unlikely and I've never experienced even "daily" naturalist loudspeaker comments. They will have scheduled programs, in the show lounge, and they do narrate Tracy Arm, College Fjords and Hubbard. Glaicer Bay is by Park Service rangers. These are the only places where there is "narration" during the trip.

Edited by Budget Queen

I've also had a range of naturalists. :)

Not sure if this poster is expecting a lot of narration, like during the whole trip??? But, is very unlikely and I've never experienced even "daily" naturalist loudspeaker comments. They will have scheduled programs, in the show lounge, and they do narrate Tracy Arm, College Fjords and Hubbard. Glaicer Bay is by Park Service rangers. These are the only places where there is "narration" during the trip.

Thanks.... No, I'm not expecting a full time narration, but I understand that some areas where there are highlights are narrated. It sounds like they have a nice balance between this service being available, but also being able to get away from it if you want to.

We'll have a balcony, so it will be nice to be able to hear them if we want to (via the ship's TV), or to turn it off if we just want to watch the scenery in peace.

Thanks.... No, I'm not expecting a full time narration, but I understand that some areas where there are highlights are narrated. It sounds like they have a nice balance between this service being available, but also being able to get away from it if you want to.

We'll have a balcony, so it will be nice to be able to hear them if we want to (via the ship's TV), or to turn it off if we just want to watch the scenery in peace.

For the narration to match up in Glacier Bay you need a port side cabin. Otherwise, for the best views, you are going to want to be out on deck, where the narration is broadcast. Same with College Fjords- naration is going to match up for the port side. With Hubbard, the views are forward.

It will depend, what you want to do. For me, I want the max viewing, so I move with the ship and get the total viewing out on deck. :) You'll enjoy it!

• 4 years later...

On the Coral in 2013 we had a naturalist that was great. He was easy to hear and he even started narrating when animals were seen in other places other than when he was scheduled. On the Star in 2015, our naturalist was almost completely unintelligible when you were on deck, so it was almost as if she wasn't there. I enjoy them when I can hear them and the wind was the worst in glacier bay the first trip not the second. Still enjoy their talks on board. Very knowledgable.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Since I started this, I'll circle back to provide feedback on our experience.

We found the naturalist on board to be OK, but not great. Her voice was a bit annoying and she seemed to go on after awhile. We were glad of our balcony cabins, so we could enjoy the scenery without having to hear her.

The National Park Service Rangers were much better, and seemed more knowledgeable and also had a better sense of when to stay silent to let people enjoy the experience.