Back from Legend "Italian Idyll"

glenr

We were on the 9/2 sailing from Rome-Rome on the Legend. This was our third Seabourn cruise. I thought the Legend looked great and every area of the ship was spotless. The crew, other than one surly waiter who we spoke with after, was fabulous. Overall the food quality was wonderful, and my only complaint, which seems frivolous, is the wafer they serve caviar on at sail away. It really kills the caviar IMO. A slice of cucumber or even potato chip would be much better. I also think this itinerary could use some changes. The last stop, Gaeta, was really a waste. Seabourn had shuttle buses into "town", which in reality was a few commercial blocks. People were walking around wondering if we missed the streets. After returning quickly to the port, there was nothing really there but a few restaurants. We did manage a nice lunch. In Sorrento we hired a car on our own which was about half the price of Seabourns. The drive to Portofino and Ravello was beautiful, and Malta was my favorite port. If anyone wants any particulars on the other ports, let me know. I left a separate post regarding the house wines, which I started just before leaving.

I'm SO excited to see your post! My husband surprised me with this itinerary about a week ago and we are set for the late October sailing. This will be our first Seabourn and Med cruise, and I can't even begin to tell you how excited we are.

I'd be particularly interested to hear about your experience in Malta. I'm currently looking at a tour with Touring Malta and am trying to decide between a half day and a full day tour. If we do half day we would then finish in Valletta. Is access from Valletta to the ship fairly easy? I'd love to hear about your day there.

I'm also excited about Lipari Island. What was your experience there? I've had another comment that this port turned out to be a favorite.

I'm happy to read any and all reminisces from your trip!! Thanks so much!

I'm SO excited to see your post! My husband surprised me with this itinerary about a week ago and we are set for the late October sailing. This will be our first Seabourn and Med cruise, and I can't even begin to tell you how excited we are.

I'd be particularly interested to hear about your experience in Malta. I'm currently looking at a tour with Touring Malta and am trying to decide between a half day and a full day tour. If we do half day we would then finish in Valletta. Is access from Valletta to the ship fairly easy? I'd love to hear about your day there.

I'm also excited about Lipari Island. What was your experience there? I've had another comment that this port turned out to be a favorite.

I'm happy to read any and all reminisces from your trip!! Thanks so much!

Valletta is the actual port city where the ship anchors. You can walk to town (uphill about 20 minutes) or take a taxi which we did. It was cheap and worth it since the temp was 90 degrees. The town is beautiful, clean and lots to see. St. Johns Cathedral was worthwhile, and the local restaurants are good. We spent most of the day in Valletta so unfortunately I can't comment on the other areas of the island. In Lipari we took the Seabourn Pizza demonstration and Island Tour package. We had a nice group and had a lot of fun. I forgot the port where we took the Olive Oil tour, but definitely check that out. As I mentioned, Gaeta was dead but perhaps you might be interested in the Montecassino sp? or Mt. Etna tours. In retrospect I wish we had done that, or just stayed on the ship and relaxed with a book as there was no sea day on this itinerary. If I can help with anything else let me know. You will love the ship, I am sure.

glenr, thanks! I think I've made up my mind to do the 1/2 day Malta tour and then Valletta on my own. Any particular restaurant that stands out to you?

And thanks for the Montecassino suggestion. I hadn't really gotten that far yet, but after doing a bit of research I think I might like to do that excursion. (Haven't told my husband yet though!).

The pizza demo had caught my eye in the past and I will keep that one in mind. Sounds like you enjoyed that one!

If you don't mind, I'd love to hear about your Trapani and Taormina days too? Looks like your Olive Oil Tour might have been Trapani.

Thanks so much for your comments! I think I'm getting even more excited by the day!

glenr, thanks! I think I've made up my mind to do the 1/2 day Malta tour and then Valletta on my own. Any particular restaurant that stands out to you?

Has to be Ambrosia, middle of town, corner Archbishop Street and Merchants Street. We discovered by chance on a one day visit on Odyssey last October. Owner/chef Chris Ferrugia is a delight and a great cook. English wife Jayne a lovely welcoming hostess. Go for local dishes such as rabbit with prunes and garlic, or whatever seafood Chris has got in that day from the market.

Both times we have been it's been exclusively local business men and women eating there - not tourists. Always a good sign! Reasonable price, great food, nice ambience. Get Jayne to recommend which of the (good local) wines you should drink with what you order. See their site http://vallettarestaurant.com/location. Also check on Trip Advisor.

Enjoy.

Lipari was one of our favorite stops on the Spirit last year. Did not do an organized tour, just wandered about. A really lovely walking town.:D

I've heard high praises of Lipari more than once on this board. I'm very eager to see this port and we have left the day unplanned so we can take it all in.

Has to be Ambrosia, middle of town, corner Archbishop Street and Merchants Street. We discovered by chance on a one day visit on Odyssey last October. Owner/chef Chris Ferrugia is a delight and a great cook. English wife Jayne a lovely welcoming hostess. Go for local dishes such as rabbit with prunes and garlic, or whatever seafood Chris has got in that day from the market.

Both times we have been it's been exclusively local business men and women eating there - not tourists. Always a good sign! Reasonable price, great food, nice ambience. Get Jayne to recommend which of the (good local) wines you should drink with what you order. See their site http://vallettarestaurant.com/location. Also check on Trip Advisor.

Enjoy.

Than you!! Ambrosia sounds delightful! I write a food blog, hence the dining aspect of our trip is important to me. Your description here has me intrigued and I will definitely check it out.

So excited!!!:D

We signed up for the 2 island discovery and 4x4 tour on Malta (Italian idyll cruise, departing 8/30, on the Legend. But it seems like the town of Valetta is lovely. I'm thinking of skipping the excursion and just walking the town. Any advice?

We were on the Legend this summer and echo raves about the trip. For the "what its worth department" while in Malta we did a tour that included the "Malta Experience", a 3 d movie that was well worth the time and gave us a much better idea about the interesting history of Malta than we got from our guide. Have a great trip! Maxine

Valleta is indeed a delightful capital. You can walk all around the ramparts, the great defensive system of the Knights of St. John, which give you a sense of the once strategic importance of the city. But a stroll along the main street, Triq ir Republika, which runs the length of the old town, with a few diversions down some of the side streets, is probably more relaxing. There are several pleasant and shaded streetside cafe/bars along the way and many unpretentious, but pretty good, local restaurants to be found off the main street. At the far end is the Co-Cathedral of St John, again a pleasantly cool place to while away some time during the hotter part of the day, with a marvelous Caravaggio, The Beheading of St. John, tucked away inside. There are many interesting buildings and galleries for the culture-vultures, and I would recommend the Archaeological Museum on Triq ir Republika. There are some astonishing and beautiful Neolithic (C.5-4000BC) artefacts some of which I dug up with students from Cambridge, Bristol and Malta back in the mid 1990s.

If one has the time and the opportunity, a visit to Mdina, a medieval citadel in the middle of the island, is very strongly recommended.

Archived