Very extensive 9/11 Spirit Review

mitsugirly

How long does it take to get from the port to Chankanaab?

COZUMEL, MEXICO

We decided to do the Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab (because of our little one) but also knew that we wanted to do some snorkeling and had heard that the snorkeling here was AWESOME.

I’ll start this review with the Chankanaab portion first, because that is what we did first. The Dolphin Encounter price included admission to Chankanaab, so we didn’t have to pay the $21.00 admission price (which after going there, I would more than be willing to pay the admission price). There is a discount coupon online for $2.00 off admission if you are going there and not doing a dolphin, manatee or sea lion swim.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/images/specials/ChankanaabCoupon.pdf

The port at this place is…well LONG and winding in order to get out. You have to walk around and up and down and back and forth and….well you get the picture, just to get out of here. You are passing every darn shop wanting to sell you something along the way. Make note that on the way back, it’s more like a straight shot and up the escalator and you are there. Of course I conclude this is a selling tactic to get you to buy things there because it forces you to go by all of them.

We caught a cab and the driver told us it would be $12 to Chankanaab. Now I know, because I do extensive research prior to going anywhere, that it was supposed to be a $10 ride. However, I did know that RC Allure and a Carnival ship was docked on down (toward the way we would be traveling, and I knew exactly where we would be going because I “walked the streets” in that entire area on google earth to familiarize myself with it before hand LOL) and thought, well maybe it’s because they are docked closer and the $10 taxi fee was cheaper there. WRONG, on the way home, we found out it was a $10 ride back. So, yea, I was scammed $2. No big deal I guess.

We arrived and immediately knew this was going to be good. The entrance and huge “hut” you walk under was beautiful. Waterfalls, beautifully decorated and several shops. We immediately went to the left (after passing the falls on the left that say Chankanaab)ßalso, if you need to use the restrooms when you enter, they are located UNDER the falls in the “cave”. ;o)

To the left was a really neat path that takes you to different sculptures and replicas of Mayan Ruins. It was in a rain forest type setting and absolutely stunning IMO. We ran across several lizards/salamanders along the way and a big Iguana sunbathing on the roof of the “sacrifice hut”.

IMG5649-M.jpg

At the exit of the walk, we came out and found the small beach area, that people have mentioned here on cc before, that has nice calm waters with a gentle slope walking in. It’s the “kiddie” area people say. We decided not to stay there and walk over to the bigger beach area to look around first.

IMG5654-M.jpg

The beach was GORGEOUS! Of course it’s not a beach that you walk right into the water. There is a wall all the way around it and you must walk down steps OR rocks, depending where you enter at, to get into the water.

We headed to the big snorkeling shack to see about renting equipment. It was $10pp for the mask, snorkel tube and fins. They did have snorkel vest, however, you had to pay $5 to rent them and they flat out told us that you could get them for free and the small shack right before them. So, we walked over to the small shack (which only had life vest, the kind you blow up=real snorkeling vest) and they just required your picture ID. Only 1 ID needed for everyone in your group. People have mentioned that they run out of these quickly, however, they seem to have plenty that day and as I mentioned, there were 3 ships there…including ALLURE!

IMG5745-M.jpg

We were ready for some snorkeling and put our things at one of the MANY shade hut/papaya’s they had along the beach. One of the locals told us that the water is calmer more to the right (while facing the beach) than to the left. So, we headed down that way. There were a lot of places along there to enter (maybe 7 or 8???). Immediately there were fish EVERYWHERE….WOW. What a beautiful site! Some places had metal steps to walk into the water (then dropped off at the last step) and others just had huge rocks placed as steps. They are slippery, so be careful. I would walk down far enough to get my fins on then pretty much dive in to keep from walking on the steps. We start toward the right and worked our way toward the left. I could not believe how clear the water was and just how many different types of fish we seen all by the areas along the shore line entrances. You could just swim up and down there and see tons without even going out.

IMG5720-M.jpg

There are several statues that are placed deeper out in the water. My husband swam out there later in the day to take pictures. I stayed back with our little one because at that point, she had snorkeling herself out and just wanted to play in the sand. We started to head out that way at one point, then I saw how deep it was getting and the water was getting colder and turned back because of her. Facing the beach, to the left far out is a person statue standing real tall. To the far right and far out were several other small statues. There were a lot of scuba divers out there, which made my husband very jealous and he wanted to scuba after that. Now, I don’t know how things work in Mexico, but we were told that we could scuba right then and there and the person at the rental hut can “certify us on the spot”. Hmmm, anyone know anything about this? Doesn’t sound too safe to me.

We did run a tab with one of the waiters going up and down the beach taking orders. I thought that was nice that they allowed you to do that. The banana daiquiris were AMAZING! Alcoholic drinks (mixed) were $6.00 and soda was $2.00.

We decided that we wanted to go check out the lagoon there and we decided to turn out snorkeling vest in (for fear of walking away and someone taking them) so we played it safe. We started walking and then discovered the lagoon is RIGHT BEHIND the beach area where we were sitting. Duh! I thought is was a far distance away from the snorkeling area for some reason. I thought I had seen a map of Chankanaab and it looked like it wasn’t close by. Wrong.

IMG5807-M.jpg

The lagoon was amazingly beautiful! We walked all the way around it taking pictures. There were several iguanas (black in color) laying around here and there. I had seen pictures of some orange iguanas and had hoped to find one….no luck. :( We did notice someone along the side with a pool like skimmer taking the leaves and such off the top of the water around the edges. They must hire someone to care for the lagoon to keep it so beautiful.

Then back to the snorkeling we went for a little longer. We had scheduled our dolphin swim for 1pm (but there was a mix up, which I’ll go into in my Dolphin review) so we decided to turn in our equipment and start walking toward the dolphin area. On the way back, I finally ran into several green iguanas (had a little bit of orange on them). I don’t know a lot about iguanas, so maybe they start black, turn green, then orange as they mature and get older??? Or maybe they are just a different species all together?

Whenever we decide to revisit Cozumel…this place will be a priority on our list. We loved it that much! Last year we loved Sapphire Beach at St Thomas on the east Caribbean, now we’ve found our little slice of heaven for the western Caribbean as well. We did not want to ever leave!!!!

A link to all my pictures...TONS of snorkeling pictures...the good ones. ;o)

IMG_5635-600x194.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mitsugirly!

I have to say how incredibly helpful your posts are and continue to be.

We are leaving from NOLA in February and even though it's our 3rd time doing the exact itinerary I still refer to your posts when researching new things. Thanks for all the time and hard work - we ALL appreciate it!

This time we're bringing the kids (18 and 23). So we're doing our past favs - the Belize river and ruins tour, Little Franch Key (thanks for helping us find that gem), Maya Chan (based on your posts) and in Cozumel a dolphin excursion.

I can't seem to book the dolphins except through NCL. I have attempted to email the park directly but no reply. Aside from calling Mexico - I am stumped.

How did you book this?

This is the last port to finalize then we wait. I'm hoping that iConcierge will be on the Dawn by Feb.8th so we can use it to keep in contact. It sounds like it was helpful to you and your kids.

Melissa

Hi Mitsugirly!

I have to say how incredibly helpful your posts are and continue to be.

We are leaving from NOLA in February and even though it's our 3rd time doing the exact itinerary I still refer to your posts when researching new things. Thanks for all the time and hard work - we ALL appreciate it!

This time we're bringing the kids (18 and 23). So we're doing our past favs - the Belize river and ruins tour, Little Franch Key (thanks for helping us find that gem), Maya Chan (based on your posts) and in Cozumel a dolphin excursion.

I can't seem to book the dolphins except through NCL. I have attempted to email the park directly but no reply. Aside from calling Mexico - I am stumped.

How did you book this?

This is the last port to finalize then we wait. I'm hoping that iConcierge will be on the Dawn by Feb.8th so we can use it to keep in contact. It sounds like it was helpful to you and your kids.

Melissa

Thanks so much for your compliments Melissa. I really appreciate it and glad I can help.

What site are you using for booking the dolphins? I went to the site and it's on the front page to the left asking which swim you want to book. I went all the way to the end and it let me do a dummy booking and gave me a price. Are you sure you have the correct website?

chank_zps0a95ea57.jpg

You should also check out Blue Kay for Costa Maya. That place is amazing and I just did a complete review on it with my Sun review. Next time we go back to Costa Maya, we are heading there. Crystal clear blue water, awesome snorkeling, great food and drinks...and no cover charge. The place is also huge too and only 5-10 minutes from the port.

Oh, I almost forgot...let me know if they have the iConcierge on the Dawn when you go. I'll be right behind you on her in May and I'm really hoping they have it as well. It's such an awesome app and I hope they get it incorporated onto all the ships.

Thanks so much for your compliments Melissa. I really appreciate it and glad I can help.

What site are you using for booking the dolphins? I went to the site and it's on the front page to the left asking which swim you want to book. I went all the way to the end and it let me do a dummy booking and gave me a price. Are you sure you have the correct website?

chank_zps0a95ea57.jpg

You should also check out Blue Kay for Costa Maya. That place is amazing and I just did a complete review on it with my Sun review. Next time we go back to Costa Maya, we are heading there. Crystal clear blue water, awesome snorkeling, great food and drinks...and no cover charge. The place is also huge too and only 5-10 minutes from the port.

Ok so NO I did not have the right web site at all!!! I was on some Mexico Parks site. So this site is great - I was able to get 25% off the price and right when I went to book it something odd happened. As I filled out my contact info it asks if I am from a hotel or cruise. I select cruise and all the payment fields disappear and a message pops up saying I can book through the cruiseline. Huh?????

So do i have to lie and say I am staying at a hotel?

I will check out Blue Kay now. Maya Chan sounds nice but in my exchange they did say they were a smaller version of Little French Key whch made me wonder how small exactly?! So it has the beautiful blue water you love so much?! :p

I will definately report back on the Dawn and iConcierge.

Ok so NO I did not have the right web site at all!!! I was on some Mexico Parks site. So this site is great - I was able to get 25% off the price and right when I went to book it something odd happened. As I filled out my contact info it asks if I am from a hotel or cruise. I select cruise and all the payment fields disappear and a message pops up saying I can book through the cruiseline. Huh?????

So do i have to lie and say I am staying at a hotel?

I will check out Blue Kay now. Maya Chan sounds nice but in my exchange they did say they were a smaller version of Little French Key whch made me wonder how small exactly?! So it has the beautiful blue water you love so much?! :p

I will definately report back on the Dawn and iConcierge.

That's weird. Usually the only cruise line that they won't let book directly with them has always been Carnival because Carnival has a contract with them. I haven't heard anyone else have any issues when booking online using NCL as the ship. You might try to call them. We have called them in the past to book (when my oldest daugther went) and people on here have reported they have done that as well with no questions ask.

What do you mean "in my exchange" they say they were a smaller version of LFK? Someone said Maya Chan is a smaller LFK or Blue Kay? Because neither is right. There's nothing that compares to LFK...nothing at all. These 2 places are just beaches. No animals, no island, no lagoon...just no comparision at all. :p

Maya Chan is a lot smaller than Blue Kay. The food and the service is excellent at Maya Chan...can't deny that. They do have some of the beds there and it would depend on which area they assign you to. Usually the families get those areas with the bed, chairs and sometimes hammocks in their little "hut". But the water is not the crystal clear blue water. It is sea grass and that's the draw back with me. There's really not any good snorkeling off the beach either. They have to take you on a snorkeling tour, I believe by canoe, out to the reef.

Blue Kay is a pretty big place and beach. The water is crystal clear blue with not much sea weed. The snorkeling was pretty great for such a place and you can go pretty far out and still be able to stand up. It was awesome. The food was good and so was the service. No, you don't get your own private little palapa, but there's plenty of places along the beach to be at and when we were there, not many people there, so it seemed like we were on a deserted beach most of the time. Now the chairs aren't the greatest. They are wood chairs under the palapa. They need some cushions there. LOL We just used our folded towels and it was fine.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I enjoy your extensive reviews, and have made very informed decisions about port activities based on your experiences.

So, I wanted to get your thoughts about cavetubing in Belize. I have also read the negative reviews on trip advisor- like Poker- and the last few have mentioned almost missing the boat. Aargh! I was fine with hot, long walks, etc., but missing the boat scares me! During your excursion, did you feel rushed, or panicked to return to the boat? It seems your family had a little time to shop, before entering the long line for the tender. But, I wasn't sure.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hi,

I enjoy your extensive reviews, and have made very informed decisions about port activities based on your experiences.

So, I wanted to get your thoughts about cavetubing in Belize. I have also read the negative reviews on trip advisor- like Poker- and the last few have mentioned almost missing the boat. Aargh! I was fine with hot, long walks, etc., but missing the boat scares me! During your excursion, did you feel rushed, or panicked to return to the boat? It seems your family had a little time to shop, before entering the long line for the tender. But, I wasn't sure.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for your comments. I'm glad I have been able to help you out with the reviews.

We have used .bz for cavetubing twice now (and that doesn't happen unless we felt absolutely comfortable with them the first time around). They have a WONDERFUL staff; very informative, friendly, caring, helpful and I can't enough good things about this company from both trips.

I never ever felt rushed and they never made us feel uncomfortable. If someone on the trip ask about the "what if..." questions (got a flat tire, had an issue...or whatever else they came up with) the guides always made them feel at ease and were very reassuring. They do explain if anything was to happen, they always have back up waiting. (Vitalino lives right down the street from the caves as well).

This company will flat out tell you that they completely rely on people from the cruises to come back and tell everyone what a great time they had and they encourage you to post your experiences on TripA. Those people work their butts off.

Yes, we always arrived with plenty of time to shop before getting on the ship and we are always ones to get on the ship before the stated time.

(I'm not sure if you read my second review from cavetubing listed in my signature line??)

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• 4 weeks later...
I know this is an old thread but we're booked on NCL Spirit next year, so I'm reading it......

No problem. As you can see in my signature line, we have sailed several NCL ships after this and I just have to tell you that the Spirit still remains my #1 favorite small ship of the fleet. It's just so different and I love the Asian decor. :)

I have done a lot of "switching" around of my photos where they are hosted, so I'm not sure if the links actually still work.

So...HERE'S a link to my Spirit pictures from that cruise. On that page you will find all the pictures from that trip in different categories...hotel, ship and ports. :)

Yes I noticed your links weren't working, but it's ok. Thank you so much for posting the new link!!!

Do you have any cruises planned this year? I know you're going to school (or may be done by now, I don't know)......how is that going?

Yes I noticed your links weren't working, but it's ok. Thank you so much for posting the new link!!!

Do you have any cruises planned this year? I know you're going to school (or may be done by now, I don't know)......how is that going?

No problem. I'm working (slowly...time permitting) on a website with all the information so hopefully that will help one day (kinda like a blog).

Yes, we have 2 cruises planned so far this year. Our first is in 32 days to "new" ports (Carnival Pride). Woo hoo. Then another 2 months after that to Bermuda (our first time there and on NCL Dawn). I hope to squeeze in another some time around November.

I finished school last May and became a registered nurse in September. But of course I plan to go back to further my education, but who knows when that will happen. I had planned on maybe this summer doing a few classes, but we'll see if time permits. Life (and cruising) is busy. :D

Edited by mitsugirly

• 2 years later...
COZUMEL, MEXICO

DOLPHIN SWIM AT CHANKANAAB

We booked our dolphin encounter (had to do the encounter because of our little one and at her age, that’s all she was allowed to do) months in advance. They require full payment at the time of booking. If you book more than 30 days (I think), then you are offered a discount. Woo hoo. I’m all for saving money.

When we first arrived here, we checked in. They told us to enjoy our day and come back at 1:20 for our 1:30pm swim. So off we went to Chankanaab for activities (as reported above).

When we returned (1:15pm) and went to sign in, they informed us that our excursion had actually started at 1pm and we were late. Um, they told me to be there at 1:20. ??? But it was ok, they just told us to catch up to them standing there on the dock being briefed on what was about to happen.

They provide free lockers; just insert stuff, key is already in them and you lock it and take the key with you.

WARNING…the wooden deck IS VERY VERY HOT! It was burning our feet (those of us that did not wear water shoes…which happen to be me and my daughter). They fitted us for our life vest and then took family by family to have their pictures taken on a chair nearby. I was busy running back and forth to any spot of shade I could stand on. Did I mention just how burning hot the deck was??? Ugh.

Finally they briefed us on the particular dolphin we would be working with. Her name was Foxy. She has had 5 babies since she has been with them, 1 that was in the tank with her at the time. He was not trained yet so we were instructed to try to resist touching him (even though he was trying like crazy to get our attention and swimming right up to us and setting there hoping for a little loving lol).

The trainer had the Foxy do several things on her own, swimming by us so that we could touch her back and then her belly. So neat and rubbery. Hehe Then they went back and forth letting everyone take turns getting to “kiss” her, then she would in turn “kiss” us. Then we would shake hands/flippers, then hold our left hand (to my husband “no, your other left hand” LOL) and she would come up out of the water and touch it with her nose. My daughter squealed with laugher the entire time and couldn’t stop smiling. What a treat. I knew she was going to love this and worth every penny we spent!

dolphin-3-M.jpg

Then Foxy did several tricks, waving to us and she went by, zoomed by us so fast splashing us, then a few jumps high in the air. She “talked” to us by her little blow hole squealing. Smiled at us showing us her teeth. A lot of neat little things.

dolphin-M.jpg

We spent about an hour in there with her and then they informed us that our “tour” was not over yet. Um what? They paraded us around all the tanks of dolphins and over to the manatee tank. Wow, really? They were letting us do the manatee as well? GREAT! I was kicking myself at this point because half way through the dolphin encounter, my battery died. GACK! So, when I found out there was more, I RAN to the lockers to get my other battery. By the time I got back, they were already in the water and I had missed it, but did manage to get some pictures of my husband and daughter in there with them, but just none of her feeding the manatee.

IMG5862-M.jpg

We went back to see the pictures on their computer screen. The people that are at the desk doing the pictures and putting together the disc are not the photographers. The photographers are out there just snapping pictures and then it is brought to the desk for you to view. ALL OF THE PHOTOS the photographer took are on the computer of the entire group. They are not using just one disk for each family or anything.

So, when you go up to the desk, they are looking at all of the pictures and check marking which ones you are in (even if others are in the pictures)...anything that has you in it to offer it to you. They took around 89, I think, of us, some were just us, others were us in a group of people around us...but they offer all. For a group on 3 people (like us) it was $139 for the cd of ALL pictures.

Just thought I'd give a little info on it after our return. I do photography on the side here and there, and I didn't think the quality of the shots were worth $139, so we decided not to purchase them. :)

So, I’ve decided that my husband not only sucks at taking pictures, but also at videos as well. The pictures he got of me on the video did not turn out too well with water spots on it and sun glare. LOL But, we still have the videos and a few pictures I took from the video along with our memories of the dolphin swim. That’s good enough for us.

Definitely had a blast.

Additional pictures: dolphin%204-600x352.jpg

Hi there:) Thank you so much for all the info you have here:) we are thinking to book the Dolphin Encounter also because o4 son is only 5. So how did you get to the area? Did you take a taxi from the crusie port? And is this the same place where NCL take tje groups as well? Price is almost 50%cheaper to book directly with Chankanaab then with NCL. I wonder what is the difference?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Forums mobile app