Fort Lauderdale Liberty of the Seas help

hackwid

Can anyone with experience answer this for me. The last time we sailed was a nightmare and I do not know what to do.

If you rent a wheelchair for someone who has difficulty with long distance walking from either specialneedsatsea or carevacations - they put the chair in your room and you must leave it in the room to get off the ship. She does not own a wheelchair as she normally just uses a cane.

Therefore, if you need the wheelchair to get on/off the ship your only option is to wait to be wheeled on. So last time we were on the ship it took almost 2 1/2 hours to get a wheelchair to get us off board. Which caused us to almost miss our plane.

Does anyone know how do I rent a wheelchair and not have it delivered to my room so I can use it to get on/off the ship? Can you get it at the port as opposed to the room?

We are not doing a hotel the night before.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Any ideas?

perhaps you could buy an inexpensive travel chair for the transfers from your car or airport to and from the ship, and also if you like, rent a larger chair from a company that is delivered to your stateroom and left in your stateroom at the conclusion of the cruise. witha travel chair you will have to do some pushing yourself for the seated person but the cruise staff will assist you boarding and disembarking with your travel chair.

You can certainly find a medical-equipment supplier in your area that will rent you a manual chair for the duration of your travel time, probably for less than the cruise ship vendor charges. You just have to pick it up and return it to their location. My Mom lives in Jupiter, FL, and she has one near her that we have used to get temporary equipment for my DH during visits there. I can get you that name if that would help.

However, once you check the costs for renting a manual wheelchair for a week, you may find it is just as inexpensive to buy a used manual chair from Craigslist or EBay. That way, she'll have the chair from start to end, and if she ever wants to use a chair again, for a trip, or to go to an event that requires too much walking, she has it.

Can anyone with experience answer this for me. The last time we sailed was a nightmare and I do not know what to do.

If you rent a wheelchair for someone who has difficulty with long distance walking from either specialneedsatsea or carevacations - they put the chair in your room and you must leave it in the room to get off the ship. She does not own a wheelchair as she normally just uses a cane.

Therefore, if you need the wheelchair to get on/off the ship your only option is to wait to be wheeled on. So last time we were on the ship it took almost 2 1/2 hours to get a wheelchair to get us off board. Which caused us to almost miss our plane.

Does anyone know how do I rent a wheelchair and not have it delivered to my room so I can use it to get on/off the ship? Can you get it at the port as opposed to the room?

We are not doing a hotel the night before.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Any ideas?

Options

1. I know for a fact that Carevations does not have a Kiosk at the Pier in FT lauderdale but Special needs at Sea might have a Kiosk depending on the cruise line. Therefore I would contact special needs at sea to see if arrangements can be made to pickup/dropoff at the pier.
  2. Rent locally before you leave home and take it on the plane with you. This option will be significantly cheaper. The plus of this option is you won't have to sit around the airport waiting for wheelchair assistance. You can gate check it and it will be waiting on the jet way as you're exiting the plane. This option costs significantly less than renting through special needs at seas and or carevacations,.

Archived