dunns river

gizmo13

It all depends on the physical ability of the individual. I've seen adults having great difficulty in attempting the climb.

The last time I was there, you could hook up (for a small donation) with a local "guide" who would lead a group up the falls. If your twins are the athletic type and not couch potatoes, I'd say give it a try. If it gets too difficult for them, you can always turn around and head back out.

It is a very beautiful place to visit. There is a nice trail along the falls for onlookers to enjoy just watching. That's what I did when my two teens at the time made the climb. I was content to just watch and take pictures of their adventure.

I found this

. There are other videos available to view which will give you a very good idea of what you are in for.

i have twin 5 year olds.. do you think they can climb the falls or should i not even waste my money. i know someone whos 4 year old did it??

Are your kids tough? Some are some aren't (do they cry easily? are they going to make your day miserable?) . I would think they would be just as happy playing on a beach with some buckets and a shovel. So, it is more about what you want to do. I have seen kids as young as 5 doing the falls so if you want to do it you probably can.

when we went back in 2004 i slipped and hurt my foot and ankle there were very few kids and the ones that were going were scared and several turned back or got out and went on the pathway....there were some difficult places that i even saw men struggling with, i seem to remember alot of injuries that day---i guess it depends, but i wouldnt take my children unless they were older.

Probably not, honestly. I know you wanted to hear "absolutely" but it wasn't a particularly easy climb and i was running marathons at the time we did it. Not that it was hard, but the rocks are very slippery and the water is a bit chilly...kids would likely either 1) fall and get hurt or 2) complain that they were too cold/wet/hungry/etc. I'd probably save it for a few years when they're 8 or so!

But that said, if they are super athletic and can handle all of the things above, and the tour allows them, you could give it a go. Just make sure you know what you're getting into.

It has been a while since I was there, but I seem to remember that one could enter (or exit) the falls from most anywhere along the way. Can anyone confirm this?

If that's the case, then you do not have to start at the bottom. You could take your twins and have them enter at the "easier" spots along the way and then exit where it becomes difficult and skip that section.

This is an alternative to skipping a visit, and your twins can say they climbed Dunn's River Falls. And you would also get to experience the beauty of the place. Make sure you take a camera.

Side note: You can rent water shoes there if you don't have your own. Not sure how small they come in. Hopefully someone can provide more details.

The water was very muddy when we did the Dunns River climb so you had to guess at every step you took. I was not impressed at the falls then and have not been back. Pretend it is Niagara Falls and just look or go separately while your spouse hangs onto the kids. Have your kids watch Jaws before you cruise then tell them there are sharks in the water.

Our last trip to Jamaica 2 years ago just about did us in visiting that place. The island people trying to talk you into their tour or taxi ride is just about too much. As we were walking down the sidewalk 2 men starting arguing as to which had the rights over US. Mind you we didn't even want any ones service. After a short time 2 police women sent them on their way. If we go back I believe we will take an NCL tour and forgo the walking on your own. It is a hassle.

Archived