Safe to hire a taxi?

naples09

Having spent 2 weeks on the island annually since 2001 I also have to disagree with bhawkcruiser. St Maarten is a safe island full of wonderful friendly people. There will be plenty of taxis available to hire at the port, or if you prefer to go into Phillipsburg first there are also usually lots of taxis available in the center of town right in front of where the water taxi docks. Of course if you prefer prearranging a tour with one of the recommended guides is always an option. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your visit to what we consider our home away from home!:)

Our first cruise is in November and we stop at St Martin and St Thomas. Is it safe to hire a cab to show us the sites of the islands or should we book a tour?

Thank you!

Why wouldn't it be safe? Are you worried that the taxi driver is going to rob you - or worse?

DON

I disagree, as well.

We've been visiting St. Maarten for many years, both land and cruise visits, and I have NEVER heard of a problem with a tourist in an official taxi.

In a 'rogue' or 'gypsy' taxi, of course, all bets are off.

I would love to know bhawkcruiser's experience on St. Maarten that leads to this post.

I'd also like to know which other islands are in the comparison.

gary

Our first cruise is in November and we stop at St Martin and St Thomas. Is it safe to hire a cab to show us the sites of the islands or should we book a tour?

Thank you!

Even though I believe that using a taxi on the island is completely safe, I would suggest that perhaps you reconsider.

Most taxi service is organized for basic point-to-point service, like from the Cruise Facility to Orient Beach and return.

You might consider the services of one of the tour operators mentioned here regularly, Bernard, or Joyce Prince.

Either of them could provide an island tour, in addition to the transportation alone. If you search here you could probably find others.

Bernard offers personal tours, but specializes in group tours.

Joyce specializes in personal tours, but offers small group tours when the situation arises.

gary

Even though I believe that using a taxi on the island is completely safe, I would suggest that perhaps you reconsider.

Most taxi service is organized for basic point-to-point service, like from the Cruise Facility to Orient Beach and return.

You might consider the services of one of the tour operators mentioned here regularly, Bernard, or Joyce Prince.

Either of them could provide an island tour, in addition to the transportation alone. If you search here you could probably find others.

Bernard offers personal tours, but specializes in group tours.

Joyce specializes in personal tours, but offers small group tours when the situation arises.

gary

Thanks Gary. I tried Joyce and she's busy that day. Waiting to hear back from a few of the other recommended tours.

Archived