medicare & medical limits on trip insurance

nothriver

I know this issue is simply a matter of personal preference but I'm interested in your opinions.

My mother has recently retired and is now covered by Medicare. So for the first time, she is traveling without worldwide health insurance coverage. We have booked a Norway cruise embarking in Amsterdam disembarking in Copenhagen.

For those in similar situations, how much medical should I be seaking on trip insurance? In the past, I've used TravelEx Select, with only $50,000. I see some companies offer up to a $1M. Is that just an excessive amount of coverage, am I crazy to even consider .5M or 1M medical? I work in the insurance industry so yes I can imagine the worst possible case scenerio...

It seems logical to purchase the TravelEx Select for myself and my kids - kids are free under this plan so it offers solid coverage and a very reasonalble price for us, and purchase trip insurance for my mother with another carrier with higher medical limits. I realize this would duplicate the paperwork hassle in the event of a claim. I am I missing any other potential pitfalls?

We happen to use Travelex.

You could consider Travel Max rather than Select which increased the coverage up to $100,000.00. Also see if any of the other plans allow you to purchase additional medical coverage.

Remember that on top of this the plans also provide medical evacuation coverage and for Travel Max it provides up to $1M in coverage.

Keith

Archived