Song of Norway, RC's first ship, is for sale

jt1120

My great aunt & I went on the Song of Norway in 1974, it was my first cruise. We paid $550 each for a 7 day Caribbean cruise including air fare from Los Angeles. The first day at sea the sun was out and the seas high, I spent the day by the pool working on my tan ( sun burn) and riding the waves in the pool. Back in the day they didn't close the pool as fast as they do today when the seas are high. It was losts of fun until the sun burn and the sea sickness set in. I spent the next six days ill and unable to eat; I was one of the few to loose serveral pounds while cruising. It took me 20 years before I could bring myself to go on another cruise. Today my husband & I love to cruise; at least 3 times a year now. I'm older and wiser, no more sun burns and sea sickness and the weight loss has become a weight gain.

:)

Royal Caribbean's first ship, the Song of Norway, is for sale. Most recently she was operating as the Ocean Pearl for Happy Cruises, but the company is ceasing operations. She's 41 years old, so she's sailed a few open seas in her day, but who knows how much you could get her for. And let's face it, as cruise fans, wouldn't it be great to own your very own cruise ship?

Anybody sail on the SoN and have stories to tell? I only started cruising in 1998 so my experience with her is zero.

Our first cruise was on SoN in 1979. Having just turned 30 we were one of the youngest couples on board. 32 years later and we still can't get enough of the sea life. Looking forward to the next 30 years.

This is the first thread I have ever started and I am glad to have been able to bring so many great memories to this thread. We started cruising in 1998 (Nordic Empress) and have been hooked ever since, but I always enjoy reading these glimpses of cruises past. Thank you all for sharing and keep them coming!

For me, I really think the cruise industry is missing the boat (bad pun) when it comes to the smaller ships. I know that Azamara is the closest to a smaller ship experience that we have here in the States, but I really do think there is something to be said about the smaller ship experience. It would be great to see a company purchase some of these older ships, fit them with more balconies, and offer affordable cruises for those of us who would love to sail a smaller ship at a price that is competitive to that which we pay on the majors today.

jmf123 thanks for the history lesson. There is usually a reason for everything that is without an obvious explanation and that reason is usually rooted in history. The more history I learn the more the present day makes a little more sense. Always nice to know the origins of RCI traditions.

I remember watching the Space Needle being built. Everyone thought they were plum crazy. Every time we get to Seattle the first sight of that round saucer part says "we're there". Same with seeing an RCI ship.

This is the first thread I have ever started and I am glad to have been able to bring so many great memories to this thread. We started cruising in 1998 (Nordic Empress) and have been hooked ever since, but I always enjoy reading these glimpses of cruises past. Thank you all for sharing and keep them coming!

For me, I really think the cruise industry is missing the boat (bad pun) when it comes to the smaller ships. I know that Azamara is the closest to a smaller ship experience that we have here in the States, but I really do think there is something to be said about the smaller ship experience. It would be great to see a company purchase some of these older ships, fit them with more balconies, and offer affordable cruises for those of us who would love to sail a smaller ship at a price that is competitive to that which we pay on the majors today.

There never will be small ships recreating the classic era of Caribbean cruising, not at the prices you are talking about anyways. Economy of scale has forced all of the major brands to build bigger to make teh ships viable - at the prices you want to pay.

Even these ships in THEIR day, were not at prices that were accessible to the general public. The prices for cruises 40 years ago were similar to the prices today - and remember inflation! Sailing Royal back in the 70s was not that different to sailing Azamara nowadays. If anything, taking inflation into account, Azamara is still probably cheaper.

I am glad to see that, along with romanticized memories, some people are remembering some of the bad things about the old days of cruising.

Can you imagine stepping foot on a ship nowadays and being told you could ONLY eat in the main dining room and that there was main and second seating for all meals, including breakfast!

The Song of Norway was our honeymoon cruise in 1984. We were so poor then, and we splurged on the "vacation of a lifetime." never expecting to be able to go again. The Song of Norway was fantastic. The dining room was so small compared to ships today, but it was more intimate.Jacket and tie every night..Tuxedo on formal nights.. The food was incredible as well. I tried everything..escargot for the first time..caviar for the first time..frog legs...the list could go on and on. My wife was a petite little thing then( still is) with the appetite of a bird. She never finished a meal. The head chef was so disconcerted over this that he and the ships captain came to our table the third or fourth night and asked her what they could make specifically for her that she would actually finish!! It took a while to convince them that she really did LOVE the food, just had such a small stomach she could not finish the portions!! We made up for this. On the sixth night, the menu was so awesome, I could not make any choices. Our waiter told me there was no need to choose. I was befuddled. He then proceeded to bring me one of EVERYTHING on the menu. In true gluttonous cruise ship style, I ate EVERYTHING!! The head chef came out after dinner and shook my hand.

The Viking Crown Lounge took your breath away with the windows going nearly 360 degrees around it, exposing an incredible vista of ocean. "Yellowbird" was the drink of choice one afternoon. The crowd drank a flock of them! Again, it was small and intimate. After two or three days, everyone on the ship knew everyone else.

75 cruises later, we still look back fondly on that first cruise..the first of many "vacations of a lifetime." But the Song of Norway..the first..will always be the BEST as well.

There never will be small ships recreating the classic era of Caribbean cruising, not at the prices you are talking about anyways. Economy of scale has forced all of the major brands to build bigger to make teh ships viable - at the prices you want to pay.

Even these ships in THEIR day, were not at prices that were accessible to the general public. The prices for cruises 40 years ago were similar to the prices today - and remember inflation! Sailing Royal back in the 70s was not that different to sailing Azamara nowadays. If anything, taking inflation into account, Azamara is still probably cheaper.

I am glad to see that, along with romanticized memories, some people are remembering some of the bad things about the old days of cruising.

Can you imagine stepping foot on a ship nowadays and being told you could ONLY eat in the main dining room and that there was main and second seating for all meals, including breakfast!

Remember that well on my first cruise. All meals were in the MDR and you either had main or late seating for all meals and being late was not an option. No room service or lido dining. Small cabins that were 110 square feet. All for $3000.00 a week for two people.

I am lucky enough to have sailed on the Song of Norway 4 times. Yes, the first gave that amazing feeling - All this is done on a moving ship? Wow!

However, the most memorable event happened on a Westbound Transcanal voyage in January, 1995. The details as they were presented to the passengers...

The winds were strong from the east (port side) as the ship was approaching the first (Gatun) set of locks. Control had already passed to a Panama Canal Commission pilot and his team. The ship had been wind-pushed too much out of the channel to where a tug was pushing on the starboard aft without much success. There were no Azipods. The pilot gunned the main engines in hopes of correcting the position. Unfortunately, the starboard propellor hit a submerged object and the damage was too extensive for repair - replacement was the only option. Our Captain was furious and many of the passengers assumed incompetence. The cruise would be shortened and the ship was towed for the rest of the passage thru Panama.

We docked in Balboa for the night. For safety reasons, we were asked to stay on the ship. If we were to leave, we did so at our own risk and there would be little to no help from Royal Caribbean if problems occurred. FYI - those that left encountered nothing but nice people, however, they did say that there were many areas that could be problematic under the "right" circumstances. The following day we were transported to the airport then, via a chartered flight, we flew to the debarkation port of Acapulco. We missed Costa Rica (I have yet to make it there - an item still on my bucket list). Our group stayed at the Fiesta Americana on an all inclusive package for the rest of our scheduled days.

Though disappointed in not finishing the originally planned cruise, we received safe transit to Acapulco, 3 nights at a nice resort and a 35% cash refund from Royal Caribbean. A quote from the press:

SONG OF NORWAY's starboard propeller assembly will be replaced in drydock in Balboa. The ship hit a submerged object in the Panama Canal as it approached the Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side of the canal the morning of January 9. None of the 1,407 passengers and crew aboard were injured. Passengers on the cruise, which left San Juan on January 4 and was scheduled to arrive in Acapulco on January 14, will leave the ship in Balboa on Wednesday, January 11 and fly to Acapulco where they will receive a three-night hotel package at a beachfront property at Royal Caribbean's expense as well as 35 percent cash refunds of their SONG OF NORWAY cruise fare.

A link to the entire press release that includes the compensation to those on the next cruise:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ROYAL+CARIBBEAN+ALTERS+SONG+OF+NORWAY+JANUARY+14+PANAMA+CANAL+CRUISE...-a016019455

We sailed Brilliance in 2002, it was her third cruise. When we docked in Oslo, the Sun Dream docked next to us. The Captain announced that the Sun Dream was originally the Song of Norway and we had the oldest and newest RCI ships docked next to each other. The Viking Crown Lounge had been removed.

1049585452032533819S500x500Q85.jpg

We cruised The Song in 1984. Our favourite ship from the 80's was Nordic Prince that we cruised in 80 and 83 and Sun Viking that we cruised in 84 and 86.

When we were in Venice we saw Sun Viking. It had also had the VCL removed.

My first cruise was in 1998 for our 10th anniversary. While we didnt cruise Song of Norway we did do Song of America. That got us hooked and we have cruised every year since then except one. I remember sitting at dinner and feeling the ship shutter. We did the 7 day from New York to Bermuda. Going back to Bermuda next week on the Explorer but only a 5 day,never have done one that short anymore we do 9 or 10 day cruises.

Michele

The veggies and salad dressings were offered from a selection. Service was much more elegant. A card came around after dinner with after dinner liquors. If you were lucky and at an officer table he picked up the tab.

I remember there being french fries available near the pool.

I remember being very seasick. There were a large set of stairs that we went up and down (today's version of the atrium?) that had seasickness bags on them. It took a day or so to get my sea-legs when I got off the ship.

I was a picky child, and I would not eat the items on the menu. I met "my" chef, Elio, who offered to make me anything I wanted. I wanted spaghetti. Every night. He asked if I liked meat sauce. I said "ok." He made me bolognaise sauce. I didn't like that much meat. So he made me marinara. That was much better. I had Elio sign my autograph book (given to me by RC).

I'm sorry I don't remember how we dressed (except formal night, because I remember the pictures, and I remember going to NYC to get our formal outfits), I don't remember the liquor selections, and I don't even remember much about the ship. But I remember Elio's kindness for a picky, bratty, American kid, who ate nothing but french fries, pizza, and pasta, and had a hard time on a cruise ship until Elio's kindness!

Yes! I can imagine it! And it is some of my fondest memories of the first cruise I ever took. The formality of it all is part of what made cruising, cruising.

Back when the rest of you were sailing on Song Of Norway, I was an NCLer. I used to see those RCCL ships in port and think about how cool it would be to go up into that round area clear up on the top of the ship. When I finally booked my first RCCL ship, I practically sprinted up to the lounge, just to see the view.

I did my first Rccl cruise in 73 with my mom, I still remmber it. I just found a photo of us at the captains table in the little plastic frame. Great memories. The viking crown lounge was the best, except climbing down the stairs after a few drinks.

Oh please attach picture!!

Archived