High Hawaii airfare

Do any of the more experienced cruisers have suggestions?... I would have expected the airfares to drop a bit by now for my July trip. However, I'm still seeing $600+ pp from the West Coast. Is the drop still to come or do you think the airlines have adjusted capacity to the point that they can maintain the higher price? Sure would rather use the money for shore excursions! :-) TIA.

frankB

Pride of Aloha 7/18/04

Maasdam 6/60

A freind in the field said she did not expect air fares to go any lower. Not until gas prices come down. Hope this helps.

-Cruise

smile12.gif

Quote of the week

"We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same"

--Anne Frank

Nordic Prince 02/89 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Princess 03/90icon_biggrin.gif

Nordic Prince 02/91 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Splendour 12/98 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Celebrity 12/02 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

NCL Dawn 03/04 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

NCL Dawn 02/05 icon_cool.gif

Can not come soon enough!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;2;10;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I checked ITAsoftware, which looks at all the fares and couldn't find anything significantly cheaper. I also checked through September when they go down $50.00... sorry...looks like Hawaii has firmed up.

The airfares will never go down very much. The same Jones Act that makes it so difficult and so expensive to have a cruise ship in Hawaii also governs airplanes. It effectively shuts out foreign competition. This allows five major US Airlines to control all flights between the US Mainland and Hawaii. Since they have control, they set their own (very high) prices.

So much for the idea of American Free Trade.

The same concept applies to the outrageously high cost of living in Hawaii. Nearly everything in Hawaii (even Pineapples) is imported. The Jones Act requires nearly all those items to be transported on very expensive American ships. No competition = price fixing and high prices.

So...I'm thinking the same the other direction too?? I've been looking at Expedia and got a great rate for airline and hotel the week before the cruise and am wondering if I should go ahead and book it (and pay for it) now or wait a little longer. My cruise isn't until November, but I would hate to wait and pay a bunch more.

What do you all think?

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

I don't know where you're located in Northern Cal, but we're flying to HNL in October and booked UAL from Chico r/t to HNL for $606. This saves us going to Sacto or SFO a day ahead and staying in a hotel plus parking. Chico still has free parking!! We fly from Chico to SFO then HNL. Perfect scheduling for our cruise, etc.

Happy Sails

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gdries:

You always can try Priceline.com......

Aloha Hawaii

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;13;1800;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that was directed towards my question, the problem with Priceline as far as I have been able to tell is that I can't book the hotel different dates than the air. And when I looked at just air, the prices on there were about the same as my Expedia air and hotel for one week prior to the cruise.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Frank,

Since you are in N. CA., I was just in Albertsons and they are having a promotion with ATA (I think) for airfare 239 each way to Hawaii. I don't know what you have to do to qualify to buy it, but you might take a look.

Patty

ALOHA! Pride of America 7/18

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;18;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Thanks for all the great info. Well, the cruise will be worth it, right? :-)

Jim; comments about the Jones act clear something up for me. In looking for lower fares I checked the KAL and JAL sites, and, of course, they didn't show that route. I guess I picked the wrong time to travel to Hawaii.... high airline operating costs, and Southwest doesn't fly there yet. ;-)

frankB

Pride of Aloha 7/18/04

Maasdam 6/60

Frank,

I just went to check cheap tickets myself and I was not able to get the 350 rate to show up on the dates I checked. It was closer to 560 for the few days before the 7/18 cruise. sorry if I got your hopes up!

Patty

ALOHA! Pride of America 7/18

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;18;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Just checked on airfare from FLA to Hawaii....Continental is running a sale and dropped their prices by 15%. Think it runs through 4/23 (don't quote me on that date)...booking my airline tickets today!!! Yippppeeeee

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;29;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Sailin' on the Wind 5/29/04

Emi,

If you book the hotel and air seperately on Priceline, you will be able to reserve the hotel for different dates than the airfare. Just do not go into the "vacation" section. They will make you have the dates match up. Also, Priceline has two options as far as airfare goes. The first option is the one that you already looked at. They show you the Flight, airline, and price. The second option can be better if you have a little bit of flexablity. You pick the dates the you will fly and the destination. You enter in the price you are willing to pay and your credit card #. If they find an airline willing to accept that price, they will automatically charge your credit card and that is when they will tell you which airline and what time you will be flying. One very good source of tips you may want to try is Biddingfortravel.com It will give you an Idea of what $$$ amount you should bid. I find it especially helpful in determining a price to bid on a hotel room.

Gee. I just booked airfare today. I thought I was buying a used car! icon_rolleyes.gif

But it was cheaper than flying to Aruba! (but not by much...)

Explorer of the Seas 7/02

West Caribbean

Norwegian Wind Thanksgiving Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;24;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Booked Continental Airlines from Tampa to Honolulu $532/person....up until this "sale" (running until 4/23 I think) any of the airlines were running about $690+. The only kicker is that the only place I found this pricing was directly on Continental's website. Expedia and Travelocity wanted $60/person more for the same flights....makes you wonder sometimes doesn't it?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;29;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Sailin' on the Wind 5/29/04

Cheap Tickets can be the best (hit or miss) since they started in Hawaii. I have found much better fares by calling (800-377-1000) than on their web site...Their inventory changes from day to day and lucky timing can play a huge part.

Good luck!

David

Archived