Alaskan beers

cruisincarly

What's the absolute, not-to-be missed local beer in Alaska? I know Alaska has a lot of great barleywines (I've only had one in my life, wasn't too impressed, but am willing to try again!), but any other great beers in Alaska?

I'm an especially big fan of dark beers, not particularly fond of pilseners, but most other types...as long as its quality, I'll go for it ;-) I need to use my beer money effectively though...so what are the suggestions?

They served Alaskan Amber on RCI's Legend of the Seas when we sailed to Alaska. They now sell Alaskan Amber in my area and it is still one of my favorite beers. Alaskan Amber is made by the Alaskan Brewing Company.

-Steven

Here is a full list of custom and micro breweries in Alaska - http://www.mosquitonet.com/~stihlerunits/ScottsDen/Beer/Breweries/Breweries.html

The range is extensive and I've yet to have one I didn't enjoy except a couple of very poor attempts at copying German weisbeir (Americans just can't make the stuff, apparently). Particular favourites are the seasonally-available customs such as spruce tip beer by Silver Gulch (Fairbanks) and Alaskan (Juneau). Alaskan Amber is by far the biggest seller now due to incredibly successful marketing, not because its the best.

Murray

very poor attempts at copying German weisbeir (Americans just can't make the stuff, apparently).

Murray

If you're ever in Madison, Wisconsin try the Crop Circle Wheat at the Great Dane Brewing Company, if you're into weisses ;-) I guess we just have enough Germans here in Wisconsin to make it semi-authentic ;-)

Archived