Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Viking gives the formal info from the Chinese Airlines in the brochure about Carry Ons; however, in practice, the Chinese Airlines are very liberal. We had a carry on bag that was only 8" thick. Those are hard to find and not necessary. 9" and 9-1/2" thick bags are OK. Also there many people carrying 2 and 3 carry on bags. You do need to be careful about the checked baggage. The limit is 44 lbs. Try not to exceed this by more than 1 or 2 pounds and you'll be OK. Carry On bags are not weighed, but checked ones may be.

We were given the impression by our guide that the checked bags were treated as a group, so that the strict weight limits didn't apply. Unless you are going WAAAY over the 44 pound limit (like over 50 pounds), I don't think you have to worry about it. But definitely stick to just one checked bag per person, when you have more than one the airlines impose additional charges.

I am a little less than a year out. I will be booking my flights with miles soon and a few extra days in Beijing before the official tour starts. I have been reading this thread -- tons of good information.

Can someone tell me which Beijing hotels are likely to be used? Are there two or three in particular? I want to try to book at the same hotel Viking will book me into or one nearby.

I am a little less than a year out. I will be booking my flights with miles soon and a few extra days in Beijing before the official tour starts. I have been reading this thread -- tons of good information.

Can someone tell me which Beijing hotels are likely to be used? Are there two or three in particular? I want to try to book at the same hotel Viking will book me into or one nearby.

If you really want to book yourself into the hotel Viking will book you into, you will have to wait. This far out, it's pretty hard to know what hotels in Beijing Viking will use. Also, there are typically several hotels used per trip, so even you guessed based on past years and made a reservation at, say, the Ritz Carlton Financial Street (since Viking does use it a lot), your specific group might be booked in a different Beijing hotel.

And while the hotels used by Viking are first rate, they aren't necessarily convenient to the subway or "downtown" sites. So while they work well for Viking in terms of bringing buses in and getting the groups moved around, they may not work as well for you when you are on your own.

We flew into Beijing several days early and stayed at the Grand Hyatt in the heart of the city for three nights. Not only is the subway right there, but it was a ten minute walk to Tiananmen Square. On the morning of Viking's "arrival" day, we checked out and took a cab over to our assigned "Viking hotel" and checked in there.

If you are set on booking into your specific Viking hotel, I would suggest you call Viking and ask when they will be able to give you that info. IIRC, they were able to tell me half a year out, maybe even longer (but not a year out when we booked).

If you really want to book yourself into the hotel Viking will book you into, you will have to wait. This far out, it's pretty hard to know what hotels in Beijing Viking will use. Also, there are typically several hotels used per trip, so even you guessed based on past years and made a reservation at, say, the Ritz Carlton Financial Street (since Viking does use it a lot), your specific group might be booked in a different Beijing hotel.

And while the hotels used by Viking are first rate, they aren't necessarily convenient to the subway or "downtown" sites. So while they work well for Viking in terms of bringing buses in and getting the groups moved around, they may not work as well for you when you are on your own.

We flew into Beijing several days early and stayed at the Grand Hyatt in the heart of the city for three nights. Not only is the subway right there, but it was a ten minute walk to Tiananmen Square. On the morning of Viking's "arrival" day, we checked out and took a cab over to our assigned "Viking hotel" and checked in there.

If you are set on booking into your specific Viking hotel, I would suggest you call Viking and ask when they will be able to give you that info. IIRC, they were able to tell me half a year out, maybe even longer (but not a year out when we booked).

Thanks

I prefer a hotel close to everything -- although we will have a private guide for the few days we are there without Viking. Other than the Grand Hyatt, which I will definitely look into, does anyone have any other recommendations for a well located Beijing hotel?

Hi Laraine,

We were assigned certain hotels initially and as it got closer to our departure Viking changed all three. We had booked an extra night before the trip and an extra night at the end of the trip at the assigned hotels. When the hotel assignments changed (which they did not let us know about....I called and they let me know) we simply cancelled the reservations and rebooked at the new hotels assigned. We ended up at the Regent in Beijing. It was very well-located with several hotels up and down the street as well as walking distance to shopping, etc. Like you we used mileage for our flights. If you want any suggestions on the specific airlines let me know. We have gone to Asia two years in a row now and had good experiences with Asiana and Singapore Air.

We are now just two weeks away...

Viking has us staying at the Ritz Carlton Financial Street...

From what I understand, it is a good location though not exactly "in the center of everything". My understanding is that taxis are easy to get.

What you might consider is making a reservation or two at hotels Viking is known to use--at a cancelable rate--then keep monitoring hotel rates while waiting to see where Viking books you...then you can always cancel any reservations you won't use...or book a new one if you didn't guess right...

From what I understand, it is a good location though not exactly "in the center of everything". My understanding is that taxis are easy to get.

What you might consider is making a reservation or two at hotels Viking is known to use--at a cancelable rate--then keep monitoring hotel rates while waiting to see where Viking books you...then you can always cancel any reservations you won't use...or book a new one if you didn't guess right...

We think alike. I might do that. But I really prefer to be in a great location so I might be willing to move after 3 days. The Grand Hyatt looks perfect in fact (I did a little research). I will have a private guide for those extra days so I might ask her opinion.

That's where we were three years ago. Nice hotel and wonderful staff. Great breakfasts (make sure you check out all the food before you start filling your plate, there are tons of selections, Asian and western). Not very convenient to the subway. If you go anywhere by taxi, be sure to have your destination written out in Chinese; the hotel should have a business card with its address for you, and the concierge can write out other destinations for you.

I'm sure you must be very excited; have a great trip!

We just returned from our Viking cruise, which ended in Beijing. The last three nights of the cruise were at the Westin Chaoyang, which is in an outer section of Beijing, midway between the center of town and the airport. It was fine while we were with Viking, since the buses took us from the hotel to the various locations. We then moved to the Grand Hyatt, and I'm very glad that we did. Although having to move was not ideal, it was worth it to be in the center of things, particularly because traffic in Beijing has to be factored in, and can add considerably to travel time. If you do stay at the Grand Hyatt, be sure to visit the pool area. It's better than Disneyland. When I walked in I said "Wow" out loud, and then turned to see my husband's face as he first took it in. Another "Wow!"

quote]

My sister and I are also staying at the Ritz Financial street in July, I have been doing some research on the hotel one tip I found useful was to take the escallator to the lower level of the Seasons Mall next door and there you will find a grocery store to purchase beer, wine, pop, extra bottles of water, snacks, etc. One reviewer on tripadvisor said that they were charged $12 US for a can of coke and $54 US for two martinis.

If you do stay at the Grand Hyatt' date=' be sure to visit the pool area. It's better than Disneyland. When I walked in I said "Wow" out loud, and then turned to see my husband's face as he first took it in. Another "Wow!"[/quote']

Yes, nothing like a spectacular grotto pool. Kind of like Las Vegas in Beijing.:)

When we "hit the wall" with exhaustion late in the afternoon of our first full day in China, relaxing in that pool was just perfect.

OT: Great Hotel Pools

Yes, nothing like a spectacular grotto pool. Kind of like Las Vegas in Beijing.:)

If anyone wants to experience the greatest hotel swimming pool I've ever experienced, book an extra stop halfway to China (or halfway home) in Maui...and stay at the Grand Wailea...

http://www.grandwailea.com/pages/vacation-and-getaways/activities/pools.html

We stayed there for a week several years back...and I think I seldom left the pool...Love the "water elevator" that takes you from the lower levels back to the top...and the water slides and rapids...without climbing any stairs or even getting out of the water...Absolutely incredible...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Another quick question -- just want to make sure

My trip date is May 17, 2015, Beijing to Shanghai

I assume that May 17 is the day the land tour in Beijing begins -- so that if I want to spend 3 or 4 days in Beijing ahead of time I need to plan to arrive there on the 13th or 14th. Seems obvious, but before I book flights I want to be sure.

Another quick question -- just want to make sure

My trip date is May 17, 2015, Beijing to Shanghai

I assume that May 17 is the day the land tour in Beijing begins -- so that if I want to spend 3 or 4 days in Beijing ahead of time I need to plan to arrive there on the 13th or 14th. Seems obvious, but before I book flights I want to be sure.

The first date that Viking lists for the trip (in your case, May 17) is the arrival/check in day. Nothing happens with Viking that day, you just check into your Viking hotel (if you aren't already there). So if (as in our case) you arrived in Beijing earlier, that day (May 17 for you) is a day you would have on your own, so factor that in to however many days you'd like to have on your own. (By all means, though, please call Viking to confirm that is still how they are looking at the date.)

We arrived in Beijing on a Thursday afternoon; Viking's arrival day was Sunday. So we had almost half of Thursday and all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday to do whatever we wanted before the Viking tour actually started.

Yes, the 17th is the "arrival" day of the group, although actual touring does not start until the following day. So if you arrive earlier, you could use the 17th for a full day of private touring. Remember that if you're coming from the United States, you lose a day because you cross the International Date Line. So if you depart the U.S. on the 13th you arrive in Beijing on the 14th.

Yes' date=' the 17th is the "arrival" day of the group, although actual touring does not start until the following day. So if you arrive earlier, you could use the 17th for a full day of private touring. Remember that if you're coming from the United States, you lose a day because you cross the International Date Line. So if you depart the U.S. on the 13th you arrive in Beijing on the 14th.[/quote']

the 15th

Thank you both -- exactly what I needed to know

The first date that Viking lists for the trip (in your case, May 17) is the arrival/check in day. Nothing happens with Viking that day, you just check into your Viking hotel (if you aren't already there). So if (as in our case) you arrived in Beijing earlier, that day (May 17 for you) is a day you would have on your own, so factor that in to however many days you'd like to have on your own. (By all means, though, please call Viking to confirm that is still how they are looking at the date.)

We arrived in Beijing on a Thursday afternoon; Viking's arrival day was Sunday. So we had almost half of Thursday and all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday to do whatever we wanted before the Viking tour actually started.

Can you tell me what you covered in those extra days (so as to avoid duplication with the Viking itinerary)? That might help me determine how many days ahead i want to fly in.

Can you tell me what you covered in those extra days (so as to avoid duplication with the Viking itinerary)? That might help me determine how many days ahead i want to fly in.

Happy to; avoiding duplication was our goal too, and with so much to see in and around Beijing, that was easily done. This link will take you to the detailed summary I posted here (on the original Viking China thread) of our pre-Viking time in Beijing. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Beijing is a fascinating city, and well worth arriving several days early for.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29264391&postcount=4680

Happy to; avoiding duplication was our goal too, and with so much to see in and around Beijing, that was easily done. This link will take you to the detailed summary I posted here (on the original Viking China thread) of our pre-Viking time in Beijing. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Beijing is a fascinating city, and well worth arriving several days early for.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29264391&postcount=4680

Wow

I couldn't ask for more

Terrific. Will be very helpful

Now, for us, we're just having Viking handle the air as well...couldn't pass up the $1047 pp RT rate. We're saving our frequent flier miles for another trip.

For our official June 17 tour date, Viking has us leaving LA on the 15th...we get a "free" extra night in Beijing--what they call a "forced overnight"...so, we arrive on the 16th at 5:00 pm. The official check-in is the 16th but the actual tour doesn't really start until the 18th...

So, it looks like we have the evening of the 16th as well as the entire day of the 17th on our own in Beijing...

But, rather than trying to pre-plan every minute of that, we've decided to play it by ear. We'll be coming off 12 and a half hours on a plane (plus an hour getting to the airport and 2-3 hours in the airport, barring delays)...and a 15 hour time difference. We may not be prepared to dive right into aggressive touring. Hopefully, we will be a day and a half later...

OTOH, we may get off the plane rested and be ready to go...

We just don't know...

So, rather than plan that time with any detail, we've decided to plan only on taking it easy...If we have the energy, then well just figure out what we can see that's not on the tour and go see it on our own. But we won't be disappointed if we don't see anything more than is included in the tour...

This will be our first trip with Viking. And we are booked on the (Day 1) August 25th, 2015 Imperial Jewels of China Beijing to Shanghai trip; (we know it is a long way off). . and have some questions we are interesting to knowing.

1) We have a forced layover day that we will get us into Beijing on August 24th. Does Viking offer any optional tours (at a cost) that we can use to tour the temple or heaven/or possibly the summer palace on august 25th? Or do the hotels arrange these options? use a cab? or should we look online for options?

2) We choose to fly independently into the LAX gateway and use viking air to Beijing and return us from Shanghai(we do not register for viking custom air) Based on past experiences, does viking normally choose non-stop connections from/into LAX (using China Air)? Or is there a better gateway to choose (either San Francisco or Seattle) that would ensure we have a non-stop international trip?

3) Any suggestions of meal options we should use on August 25th? Does Viking provide any meal options at a cost? If not, so we just wait and be dependent on which hotel we end up in Beijing?

This will be our first trip with Viking. And we are booked on the (Day 1) August 25th, 2015 Imperial Jewels of China Beijing to Shanghai trip; (we know it is a long way off). . and have some questions we are interesting to knowing.

1) We have a forced layover day that we will get us into Beijing on August 24th. Does Viking offer any optional tours (at a cost) that we can use to tour the temple or heaven/or possibly the summer palace on august 25th? Or do the hotels arrange these options? use a cab? or should we look online for options?

2) We choose to fly independently into the LAX gateway and use viking air to Beijing and return us from Shanghai(we do not register for viking custom air) Based on past experiences, does viking normally choose non-stop connections from/into LAX (using China Air)? Or is there a better gateway to choose (either San Francisco or Seattle) that would ensure we have a non-stop international trip?

3) Any suggestions of meal options we should use on August 25th? Does Viking provide any meal options at a cost? If not, so we just wait and be dependent on which hotel we end up in Beijing?

Ours is still two weeks off, so this is from the experience of someone about to go...

1) No options have been presented to us as of yet...I understand that the options such as the Peking Duck Dinner, the Beijing Opera, etc., are offered at the start of the program...and there are no "options" for pre-tour...so, you are on your own. Some people seem to pre-arrange tours, others just grab a taxi from the hotel...I am guessing, since these are 5-star hotels, tat the concierge can help you arrange something as well. Of the most importance is to find out what is included on the official tour so you don't duplicate.

2) I don't know what the "usual" is, but, with us, they are flying us nonstop LAX to Beijing. The return is Hong Kong (we're doing the extension) to Beijing, Beijing to LAX...all on Air China.

3) it appears that dinner on that first night (and on the forced overnight) are on our own...Viking provides no options those nights...but there should be plenty of choices in or near our hotel...or a short taxi ride away...hotel concierges are always a good resource for recommendations...

Thanks for your updates brian.. what hotel were you assigned?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forums mobile app

Okay...first, it's not "Brian"...it's "Bruin"--as in UCLA Bruins...my alma mater...

The name is STEVE!

For Beijing, we've been booked at the Ritz Carlton Financial Street...

Xi'an: Hilton

Shanghai: Shangri-la Jing'An

Guilin: Shangri-la

Hong Kong: Shangri-la Kowloon

...but those hotel assignments seem to change constantly trip to trip....

Re Systable's questions

I strongly recommend you use a private guide for your forced layover free day. The problem with a group tour arranged through your hotel, such as a Gray Line tour, is that you can't tailor it to your needs. For example, the group tour may include things you want to see, but also duplicate some of the things on the Viking tour. Or jet lag may hit you during the afternoon; if you're on a private tour you can take a break or even just quit for the day.

As far as just taking taxis on your own to places, I think you will miss a lot if you rely on just guide book explanations for the Temple of Heaven. There is also some question about taking taxis from sights of interest back to your hotel. Our guide said that the taxis parked at these places don't use meters and overcharge by a lot. At the very least, ask your hotel for advice about what cabs are OK.

In terms of dinner that first full day in Beijing, my guess is that you will be so tired from jet lag that you will want either room service or a snack, so you shouldn't worry about where you will eat.