Drink Deals on POA

rosiebee

Can anyone tell me what drinks deals are available on the POA? I've heard they do a soda deal, but do they do deals on bottled water or wine? Someone posted a wine list on another site and the bottles looked quite pricey. Also wondered if anyone has a recent price for wine by the glass. Trying to work out if it's cheaper to buy wine ashore and pay the corkage charge.

Thanks

Rosie

Hi

I don't like the whole carring my bottle of wine around with me so I did not bring on.

First glass I asked for ended up costing $16 with all the tips but then I found a really good $6 one (don't remember the name but ask for a wine list before you order!)

Second night we figured out the Napa Wine Bar had happy hour every night so we went there before dinner to get my fill of wine! Plus a good guitar player!

I will tell you, we were exhausted every night so only needed a few glasses before dinner and we went to bed by ten!

Loved the POA and Hawaii! Have a great time

Thanks mcmomny. I'll make sure we find our way to the Napa Wine Bar!

Just one thing, you said a glass could cost $16 after all the tips. I know we pay a daily rate for tipping of $12 each that gets added to our onboard account. Also just read in brochure that 15% gets added to the drink tab which I presume goes on to your account too. Do you also have to tip the waiter/bar staff with actual dollars?

First visit to America and we're not too sure about the conventions of the tipping thing. At home it tends to be restaurants, taxis, hairdressers but not usually individual drinks in bars or pubs - well not our local ones.

Thanks, Rosie:)

Yes there is the $12 a day PLUS 15% for all drinks and then a line to add more of a tip, we got in the habit of tipping the waiter a dollor or two and not putting it on the bill.

Talking to them they said the 15% gets spilt with all employees so we felt if we got good service we would give them a few more dollors cash.

My $16 glass was because I just asked for a white wine and he brought me the most expensive one! I learned real quick to check the list and ask for the cheapest which was what I like at home anyways!

Also check out the beer bucket specials, 6 beers for the price of 5. You get them in a carry ice bucket to take out on the deck or to your room.

Also the first night is the Pub Crawl, $30 I think and it was for 6 bars and alot of fun! Great way to meet people and see the ship!

Everyday was drink special and events but we usually weren't back on board yet and missed some of them.

On the Pearl we bought bottles, but I don't think it worked out to be much cheaper plus it was a pain to carry it back and forth and if they held it for me it took too long to get my drink!

We thought we would be able to have some beers with lunch on the islands, but not as easy as we thought. Very few places served beer, the only time we had a drink at lunch was on Maui at a nice sit down place and in Kona at the Knoa brewery, never saw it anywhere else. Matter of fact some towns appeared to be "dry". Interesting.

Thanks again for all the info. Glad my DH didn't read about the lack of beer with lunch on the islands or we might not be looking forward to our Hawaiian cruise. Will have to think how to break it to him.

Rosie:confused:

There is really no problem getting a beer with lunch in most places. Perhaps some of the fast food or plate-lunch places do not serve beer or alcohol...but that is the case anywhere. I know in our area, there are several restaurants that no not server liquor, but you are able to bring your own without having to pay a corkage fee, etc. Just ask if you do not see beer being offered on the menu. Cheers!

Archived