Single occupancy cabins

w4e

Hello all. I used to receive an e-mail every two weeks offering last minute deals on sailing solo, i.e. NOT paying the usual 150-175% of the double occupancy fare. These were single occupancy cabins, not shared cabins. I switched ISPs, lost all those old messages and haven't been able to find these folks online. Does anyone know who I mean? Many Google searches for "Single occupancy cabins" and variations on that have produced no results.

Hello all. I used to receive an e-mail every two weeks offering last minute deals on sailing solo, i.e. NOT paying the usual 150-175% of the double occupancy fare. These were single occupancy cabins, not shared cabins. I switched ISPs, lost all those old messages and haven't been able to find these folks online. Does anyone know who I mean? Many Google searches for "Single occupancy cabins" and variations on that have produced no results.

If you do a google search for "singles cruises" you might come up with better results -- in fact I know you will. Unfortunately we can't name travel agencies on CC but the google search will give you a start. Also if you go to Princess, NCL and HAL message boards you can sometimes find them there. Sign up for anything that have related to cruises in terms of emails. And keep checking.. I know NCL has reduced solo rates on some sailings and Princess has a new "partnership" that will offer some.

Host Caroline,

Since you mentioned NCL, I have a question that you or may not be able to answer. I've stayed away from them due to their freestyle cruising concept.

A single friend did a cruise on NCL and said that dinnertime was tortuous. One of the things she likes about cruising (and so do I) is dinner every night with her tablemates. On NCL, she would go up to the maitre de and tell him she wanted to eat with other people, and then she would stand there while he "hustled" passengers to see if they would "accept" her at their table. Worse than rejection at a high school dance! :o

By the last 2 nights, she'd finally met some other people to dine with, but said she would never cruise NCL again as a single because of freestyle. Any comments or observations you would like to add to this? Has anyone on this board sailed NCL solo and would like to share your experience?

Roz

Hi Roz,

A few years ago I took a cruise out of NY to Canada on NCL's Sea for 7 nights. This ship is one of their oldest and not really set up for freestyle. I decided, after the first dinner in the dining room on the first night, that I would use the buffet each evening instead of the dining room. IMHO these freestyle/personal choice systems are not a good idea for solo cruisers.

Roz, I'm really glad that your posted info about your friend's experience. I enjoyed my cruise because I loved the itinerary, the price was good, and the ship was fine for a port intensive cruise. I'd probably consider NCL if I was part of a group cruise or with a few friends but I would not do this line solo again.

Faith

Faith,

Interesting that you share my friend's opinion that NCL's freestyle concept isn't single friendly. I'm guessing that solo cruisers make up such a small segment of the cruise market that NCL, or any other line that has a similar dining concept, isn't going to change it to to meet the needs of a few.

Thanks for your post.

Roz

I went solo on the NCL Dream from Boston to Quebec and back in 2003 and loved it. I love the freestyle dining - you can eat where you want when you want. If the line into the dining room is long, you wait a few minutes or to to another dining room. I look for a good server and when I find one I really like, I ask for him or her at every sitting - and they put me at one of their tables and I was able to meet lots of really nice people as you never sit with the same people twice as a rule. Went on the Wind to Alaska with a friend, and had the same experience, and to South America on the Crown with another couple. I have never had a bad experience with dining on freestyle other than a couple not-so-hot waiters, but by trying to stick with one waiter you like, you can ask for him with the maitre 'd and you are always well taken care of - your waiter knows you and looks forward to serving a friend. I am going alone again in April, 2006 on the Wind and am really looking forward to it. And I am not a young, pretty thing, just an old, overweight grandma.

I was alone on the Legend of the Seas in Australia in 2002 and had a bad waiter and a table full of weird people and when I complained about the dining staff, I was scolded by the dining room maitre 'd, so I much prefer freestyle dining. You aren't stuck with people you don't care to dine with.

Archived