Rhine and Moselle River Cruise on the River Queen

Lightpackers

This was an excellent cruise, our fourth with Uniworld, a company that we continue to endorse. The staff, the cruise director Claudia, the food and, for the most part, the included excursions were excellent. The one exception, in our estimation, was the trip to Luxembourg. While it was somber, the best part of the excusion, was the visit to the American cemetery. The balance of the day was, however, was dull, with much time spent on the bus.

The guides of all the tours we felt were excellent. They were knowledgeable, good communicators, and provided information with humor.

Our sole negative on this cruise was the fact that many people had traveled in groups and never strayed from their friends. On the contrary, we felt this shut out, on many occasions, an attempt to join people, both on tours and especially in the dining room. There were several occasions where, before conclusion of the evening port talk, members of the groups would rush in advance to the dining room to secure tables for their respective group, woebetide those of us who then tried to then sit down at these "reserved" tables. This became a topic of complaint amongst those passengers who were not part of a particular group. We're not sure what can be done by Uniworld and its staff about this issue, but we did want to express our feelings.

This was an excellent cruise, our fourth with Uniworld, a company that we continue to endorse. The staff, the cruise director Claudia, the food and, for the most part, the included excursions were excellent. The one exception, in our estimation, was the trip to Luxembourg. While it was somber, the best part of the excusion, was the visit to the American cemetery. The balance of the day was, however, was dull, with much time spent on the bus.

The guides of all the tours we felt were excellent. They were knowledgeable, good communicators, and provided information with humor.

Our sole negative on this cruise was the fact that many people had traveled in groups and never strayed from their friends. On the contrary, we felt this shut out, on many occasions, an attempt to join people, both on tours and especially in the dining room. There were several occasions where, before conclusion of the evening port talk, members of the groups would rush in advance to the dining room to secure tables for their respective group, woebetide those of us who then tried to then sit down at these "reserved" tables. This became a topic of complaint amongst those passengers who were not part of a particular group. We're not sure what can be done by Uniworld and its staff about this issue, but we did want to express our feelings.

Thanks for the thoughtful review.

Re: the cliques at dinner time. We had the same experience on a Uniworld cruise that was unlike what we encountered on Viking. In our case, though, it was exacerbated by a planning issue at the beginning of the cruise.

I'm wondering if the layout of the dining room contributes to it. I think that a couple of nights where passengers are encouraged to seek out new dining partners woul help. This might especially aid solo cruisers. Regardless, I also believe a good Maitre D' would notice and step in to help.

Regardless, glad you enjoyed the overall experience.

I'll stay on topic of the original post long enough to say that I'd like to do another river cruise, possibly on the Moselle or a cruise through southern France.

We were a group of 24 traveling on the SS Antoinette. At the first dinner, we were seated at a group of tables along the banquettes at the back of the dining room, which enabled the various members of the group to circulate among the tables as they wished. Some of us wanted to be seated at tables where we could meet some of the other passengers on the cruise. Oddly, it was our tour mates who felt we were out of line by abandoning them and choosing to eat with others. I didn't sign on to be in lock step with one group for my whole vacation.

For myself, I enjoy meeting strangers and making new friends, learning about other countries and cultures and dining together is a great start.

Archived