Dining on Costa Favolosa

cisco 09

Hi guys

Thinking of booking a Costa Cruise and would appreciate some info.What are the dining options onboard? We're just back from a cruise on the Princess Emerald. We loved their set up. Each day we had breakfast and lunch in the Horizon Court but we went to Michaelangelos or Da Vincis restaurant for dinner. There was no need to book and you can choose a table for 2 or share if you're sociable.

What happens on Costa Cruises? Many thanks

For breakfast and lunch, these can be talen in the MDR and buffet. For dinner the buffet (if open) is sit where there is a free seat / table, in the MDT there is no freestyle dinner (not on any Costa ship). You will be assigned a permanent table for the duration of your cruise, the table number will be in your cabin when you embark.

There is also the speciality restaurant (not free of charge).

Ron

• 1 year later...

Forget Costa if you like good food and service. We just come back from the 10 days cruise. Costa is the worse cruise line we ever been on.

Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean are the best. Holland America is good to, but older crowd.

Food on Costa is simply disgusting, poor choices or I should said – no much to choose from – cheep cafeteria style and dirty plastic dishes - buffet, lots of smoke and pushy, loud crowd from Europe.

Don’t leave tips automatically either, we learn that the staff get only some portion of it, and only if the reviews come 100% excellent.

We tip staff according for the service received – money in the envelope. They where happy.

We just came back from Costa Pacifica, and enjoyed the food very much. It is very Italian - pasta is offered at every lunch and dinner, and it is streets ahead of any MDR pasta offered on any other line we've cruised on (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Azamara and Princess.). The main course was usually some variety of slow-cooked meat, and usually delicious. I found the desserts not to my taste, but the fresh fruit was good, as was the cheese board.

The items on the always-available menu were quite different from what we've seen on the US oriented lines. I tried the grilled turbot one day and loved it.

Our waiters were efficient and friendly, and were very good at keeping the wine and water glasses topped up. (We had the all-inclusive drinks package. What a bargain!).

Breakfast in the buffet was a bit of a zoo, as it seems to be on most lines. It was better in the dining room. They had a partial buffet there with fruit, pastries, cereals, juices, etc., and you could order eggs, smoked haddock, hot cereal or other breakfast things off the menu. Service there was less efficient, but improved as we got to know the waiters in the sections we preferred.

I know it varies from ship to ship, but we found that the soups were always worth trying, the bread was delicious and the ice cream was usually very good, too.

Forget Costa if you like good food and service. We just come back from the 10 days cruise. Costa is the worse cruise line we ever been on.

Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean are the best. Holland America is good to, but older crowd.

Food on Costa is simply disgusting, poor choices or I should said – no much to choose from – cheep cafeteria style and dirty plastic dishes - buffet, lots of smoke and pushy, loud crowd from Europe.

Don’t leave tips automatically either, we learn that the staff get only some portion of it, and only if the reviews come 100% excellent.

We tip staff according for the service received – money in the envelope. They where happy.

that was not my costa experience at all, but welcome to cruise critic.

Hi guys

Thinking of booking a Costa Cruise and would appreciate some info.What are the dining options onboard? We're just back from a cruise on the Princess Emerald. We loved their set up. Each day we had breakfast and lunch in the Horizon Court but we went to Michaelangelos or Da Vincis restaurant for dinner. There was no need to book and you can choose a table for 2 or share if you're sociable.

What happens on Costa Cruises? Many thanks

Dining on Costa Favolosa - Review.

Hello,

I have read that on Costa NeoRomantica there is an anytime (open seat) dining area. Perhaps they are checking this and will bring this to the other ships after a certain time, too.

I am new to Costa but as mentioned here before: from 2013 on there is a difference between Classic staterooms (any stateroom inside, etc.) and Premium staterooms. With the latter you can choose dining time in the MDR, have free room service 24 hours a day, etc.

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/AboutCruising/suite/suite.htm#novita-2013

Archived