Celebrity Single Supplements

Roz

I posted this over on the HAL board, which is my "home" board, but thought the solo and single cruisers over here might be interested in this.

I've heard that if you like HAL, you'll like Celebrity. There was a thread over on the X board saying that Celebrity is really sticking it to solo passengers. So, I decided to call my bricks and mortar TA to see what she could come up with.

Yikes! The quotes were 210% - 225%...can you believe that? I asked her what their rationale was. Even though I don't like it, I understand the business decision behind charging the 200% single supplement, but more than that...come on, give me a break.

Celebrity's view is that not only have the lost the other cabin occupant, but their onboard spending, so they want the solo cruiser to compensate them for that.

On my Zaandam cruise last December, I booked HAL excursions in all 3 ports, played more bingo than I care to admit , had a few adult beverages, ate lunch in the Pinnacle, took a bartending class, bought an Internet pkg., and tipped my room steward a little something extra for doing a good job and for not having that extra person in the cabin. My shipboard account was probably average by the end of the cruise. Some people spend more and some less.

Well, needless to say, HAL is keeping me as a single customer. I'd like to try some other lines, but not at those prices.

BTW, RCCL, Celebrity's parent company, doesn't give an inch on its single supplements. The walking club I belong to is scheduled to take an RCCL cruise in May, 2006. I asked the club's TA to get me a single quote in case I can't find a roomie. Even on a group cruise, they won't cut singles any deals.

Roz

Yes, I agree that Celebrity is higher than HAL pretty much across the board... but also am glad you had a great time on HAL>.. they are wonderful for solos as a rule although you will find the occasional person who did not enjoy HAL for whatever reason..Everyone's experience is different. The ships are lovely and IMHO not that different from the Celebrity experience. I would cruise HAL solo in a heartbeat over Celebrity but that that's just MY opinion... they beat them on price much of the time although Celeb has had some last minute specials that if you do pay "double" don't come out too bad.... but you have to be flexible on timing to take advantage..

Thanks for your reply, Host Caroline. I'm still working at a full-time job (and probably will be for a long time to come :( ), so I don't have that last minute flexibility. I really envy those who do. Because I have to plan far ahead due to my work schedule, it works perfectly with HAL since I've found the best singles bargains require advance booking.

Roz

RE: the job.. I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). .. Working full time for at least 10 more years but at least can get vacation with 3-4 weeks notice-- not on a regular basis but.... my bosses support my cruising bec. I come back with such a great "sanity fix".

Archived