2012 Pre-Cruise suggestions please

mattyboy

Please give more info --what do you like to do? What time of year? The first step is to go to the library or a book store and read travel guides. Check out Alaska.org for magnificent drives and day trips from Anchorage. This will give you an idea of what is possible.

Does your three days, include travel days?? Or are they 3 FULL days?

Denali Park, needs two nights at the park, and two transit days. I suggest you look at adding time, if at all possible. It is hardly worth 12 hours in driving, for a short Denali Park visit.

You do NOT need any "tour company" Rent a car and drive yourself. Darn simple. :) One road, can't get lost. My recommended budget lodging at Denali is Denali Park Hotel, clean, large basic rooms.

Great to have your input - I was hoping to you'd see my post.

We arrive on Anchorage Friday afternoon and depart Whittier on Monday evening for our cruise. Unfortunately the most time we could all get away.

Hoping to see as much as possible in that short time and at a loss - seems like so much to do in so little time.

The consensus was definitely Denali, but would welcome any itinerary suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

We arrive on Anchorage Friday afternoon and depart Whittier on Monday evening for our cruise. The consensus was definitely Denali, but would welcome any itinerary suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

If Denali is your priority, it's do-able. Here's one option:

Friday. Arrive late afternoon. Pick up car. (Only Avis has office in Whittier). Drive to Talkeetna, about 3 hrs to O/N

Sat Leave Talkeetna by 8:30am and drive to Denali 3 hrs. Catch a 1pm shuttle bus to Eielson.

Sun If interested see the 10am free dogsled demo, then start the return drive. Go an hr past Anchorage to Girdwood and overnight at the alyeska resort The drive between Anc and Girdwood has some great stops.

http://alaska.org/driving/turnagain-arm-drive.htm

Monday A little more exploring. Be mindful of the tunnel schedule for your drive to Whittier since it's only open once an hr for each direction. http://www.dot.alaska.gov/creg/whittiertunnel/schedule.shtml

Or you could stay in Anchorage Sunday night and catch the 10am train Monday morning.

Other options depend on your interests and travel style. Very easy to plan a trip to suit your needs. Just pick up an Alaska travel book from your library.

Lodging around Denali:

http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Be prepared for sticker shock from Avis at Whittier. Only you can place a value on how much you want to pay for a quick trip into Denali. You may consider picking up one car rental from the airport Round Trip and then another with Avis from Anchorage to Whittier or take the train.

Another option is going south from Anchorage to Seward. This thread addresses that http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1498421

Our itinerary is a little different as we have family to see in Palmer:

May 30 Arr Whittier after cruise --take transfer to Anchorage airport. Car rental w Alamo ($ 180 for 3 days)

Drive thru Anchorage and south along Turnagain Arm to Girdwood. Explore in general and take short walks. Spend night at Alyeska Resort

May 31 Day to explore between Alyeska and Seward. Night at Alyeska.

June 1 Explore Girdwood to Palmer and then onto Matanuska Glacier. Night at Sheep Mountain Lodge.

June 2 Return to Anchorage and 1:30 flight to LAX

I like alaska.org and Bell's Alaska web sites for planning drives.

We arrive on Anchorage Friday afternoon and depart Whittier on Monday evening for our cruise. Unfortunately the most time we could all get away.

Hoping to see as much as possible in that short time and at a loss - seems like so much to do in so little time.

The consensus was definitely Denali, but would welcome any itinerary suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

I don't agree with the Whittier/Anchorage AVIS rental recommendation, for the entire time. If you want a car, for the Whittier transfer, then pick it up for a 24 hour rental, unless, the daily rate is the same and only has the drop fee added. But, many times I have seen higher rates for the car, plus the drop.

I suggest, you sleep on the plane and get yourself to Denali Park your day of arrival, if your "afternoon" reference is before 3pm? Otherwise Talkeetna is a must.

Get a shuttle bus to Eielson the next day, overnight. Sunday, add some am activities of interest, and take your time driving back.

IF you don't need the car, overnight in Anchorage, and take the Alaska RR to Whittier- this then offers you the opportunity to take a Prince William Sound boat tour- which I highly recommend. If you don't want that, then get a car. The night prior you could overnight in Talkeetna, and then spend your time, in Mat Su- Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, glacier trekking Matanuska, Anchorage touring etc etc etc

Then drive yourself direct to the ship.

Key point I suggest, is to not have "idle" time, unless that is your priority?? I am also not suggestion a marathon schedule. :)

I'm not wild about the Avis rental for Anc-Denali-Whittier, but they have such limited time, it seems like the most efficient option especially if they come back to Anchorage late Sunday afternoon and try to return a car and change to another. Sunday hours can be tricky.

Just an option to consider.

Friday - Arrive Anchorage - rent car - drive to Talkeetna - overnight Talkeetna

Saturday - AM - Sled Dog Tour Talkeetna - Drive to Denali - Evening River Rafting - Overnight Denali

Sunday - Denali - Full Day Tantisha Shuttle all the way to Roadhouse Round trip - Overnight Denali

Monday - Drive to Whittier for ship departure early evening.

Friday - Arrive Anchorage - rent car - drive to Talkeetna - overnight Talkeetna

Saturday - AM - Sled Dog Tour Talkeetna - Drive to Denali - Evening River Rafting - Overnight Denali

Sunday - Denali - Full Day Tantisha Shuttle all the way to Roadhouse Round trip - Overnight Denali

Monday - Drive to Whittier for ship departure early evening.

Doable. I don't know what "dog sled" tour you are considering in Talkeetna?? There are several private kennels open, and if in Wasilla by closing time, there is the Sled dog Headquarters Museum that you may be able to stop up on Friday?

Do you mean the Kantishna shuttle run by the park service, or is it a lodge shuttle? Be advised that it is a lot of private property at Kantishna. The day trips that include lunch, have a lot of your time invested in eating. Problem is, you don't have time for the stuff the overnight guests do. Taking the Wonder Lake shuttle bus, has excellent hiking to Reflection Pond and a cheap alternative. Take a look at the Park Map the Kantishna buses bypass this area.

You need to allow 8 hours for the drive Denali/Whittier, with stops. Make note on the way to Denali Park, of ANY construction areas and then allow at least an extra hour per area. I would aim for the 5:30 tunnel, depending on your departure time- if 8 or 9pm

With this itinerary, the One way rental car, upon arrival, was the best advice.

Archived