Tracy Arm or Kenai Fjords

capital6

Is it worth doing both a Tracy Arm boat tour (Adventure Bound or Allen Marine) and a Kenai Fjords tour (Major Marine, Saltwater Lodge or KFT)? If you could only do one, which would it be? This is for a family of 4 (kids 8 & 10).

While both are excellent trips which involve a visit to a glacier, the Kenai Fjords is better in my opinion due to the excellent wildlife sightings that often occur in the national park and at the Chiswell Islands.

Still, you really can't go wrong with either one.

I did both, 8 hour Major Marine tour in Kenai and 10? hour Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound. Both are great trips, but the best excursion in Alaska for me was the Tracy Arm tour. We had fab weather that day though. We saw orcas very close to our boat in Kenai (absolutely great!), but still, Tracy Arm over Kenai for me...

I have done both these tours many times. They are different and I don't hesistate to go on both. BUT, I favor a different Tracy Arm company.

With the kids, I would think wildlife would be their preference over more "scenic" sailing? With that, Kenai Fjords is the clear winner.

You can also perhaps benefit from purchased coupon savings. Tracy Arm doesn't offer any.

Thank you for the replies. I agree that Kenai Fjords sounds more interesting for the kids. I really like the idea of Saltwater Lodge's smaller boat but there doesn't seem to be much recent feedback on them. Do you have any experience with this company or other Kenai Fjords tours?

For me, hands down, the better tour would be the Tracy Arm Fjord tour. We did the tour with Adventure Bound in 2008 and it was our favorite excursion. I would not hesitate to go with them again.

However as mentioned, the Kenai Fjords tour will have more wildlife, which might appeal to children more. We went to Tracy Arm in June 2008 and did see quite a bit of wildlife. However when we did a ship's transit through Tracy Arm this past August, there was not much to see in the wildlife category, but the transit was still beautiful.

Both tours are long. I imagine some children would be bored on both tours. The Kenai Fjords tour definitely has the higher risk for rough seas. Many on our tour were seasick. It can be a long day if someone gets seasick.

Final opinion: Although I much prefered the Tracy Arm tour, I would likely take children on the Kenai Fjords tour over the Tracy Arm. I would also take some Alaska books out of the library for the children to prepare them for what they are to see. This will help them to get the most out of the experience. Lastly, I would discuss motion sickness remedies with my doctor for you and your children. It is not pleasant to be seasick and it could ruin an otherwise great experience!!!

Archived