Sensation or Holiday?

sarah2280

Hi, we are planning a family cruise and first considered the Sensation out of New Orleans. However, Mobile is a closer drive for several people on our trip, so now we are weighing our options. I know that the Holiday is an older ship, but I was wondering if there is anyone who has been on both ships and could compare them--food, activities, and overall condition of the ship. Would it be worth it to drive a couple extra hours for the Sensation? There will be a mix of experienced and first-time cruisers.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

:)

Sarah, as Brenda said, everybody has a different opinion. I have been on the Holiday four times, and the Sensation only once.

I much prefer the Holiday. She's older, but kept in very good shape...very clean, great staff. It's very easy to learn your way around the Holiday, wasn't so on the Sensation for me; for instance, the dining room I was assigned to was a half-deck below another deck, and difficult to locate. And it's hard to enter the lower level of the main show lounge because you have to pass through the gift shop to get there.:p I know this is minor, but I really disliked the garish neon purple everywhere on the Sensation. I just never seemed to be able to orient myself on the Sensation.

Both ships had wonderful food, great entertainment (especially the two production shows). I enjoyed both ships, just prefer the Holiday.:)

I'm located halfway between Mobile and N.O., so travel time doesn't matter to me, and I will go definitely cruise on the Holiday again.

I have not been on both, so I really can't give you an educated "opinion"... I have been on the Sensation twice and LOVE her!!! Was on the Miracle in February and it just didn't live up to the Sensation! She has a great layout, plenty to do, yet still an "intimate" feel. I enjoyed cruising out of NOLA as well... Although I have not been on the Holiday, you really can't go wrong with the Sensation! Good luck on your decision!

I have been on the Costa Victoria, Majesty of the Seas (RC), Carnival Spirit,

Carnival Sensation & Carnival Extacy (going on the Victory on 8/14/05) can't wait.

The Sensation has beeen hands down the best cruise that I have

ever been on. I mean it was just unbeleivable the best time I would

recommend it to anyone.

Hope This helps.

I've been on the Holiday and the Sensation's sister ship, the Imaginiation. I didn't really like the Holiday - especially after I saw how much more was offered on a bigger boat.

I will say the staff was great on the Holiday.

Rhonda

I can't say which is better. Will be on the Sensation this June. By the way, is anyone else going June 27th? Anyhow.................. BrendaB and I were both on the Holiday at the same time. It was a rockin' and a rollin'. I will say that. I enjoyed the Holiday but hadn't cruised for 20+ years when I sailed on her so things would have had to have been REALLY bad for me not to have had a good time.

been on both....Not sure which would be the best...or the worse of the 2. The Sensation is bigger...you can actually go all the way around...the Holday you cannot get from front to the back of the ship without going thru alot to get there. I would say the Sensation..or look for something else.

:) Thanks for all the input everyone. I think we are leaning towards the Sensation (or at least that's my vote). I read that the Holiday doesn't have an atrium (I guess that's why it's more difficult to get around?). Although from several reviews I've read, it seems like it's less of a hassle to cruise out of Mobile than New Orleans because of parking and check in. We'll see...

Since you mentioned it - N.O. port is in a very congested area...and right now parking is a big problem, and seems to be getting worse if the reports I get are correct...that Fulton St. Garage is no longer accepting Carnival passengers!:eek:

Anyhoo, I do know that Mobile's port is very, very easy to get in and out of. I've been there myself, and also my son said it was a breeze compared to the N.O. port.

Decisions, Decisions!:D I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever ship you choose.

they both do have an atrium...however, the sensation you can walk all the way around... the holiday you cannot. n.o. port was not that bad. they are doing some construction around it. the people we talked to did not have any problems. i would suggest staying 1 night at a hotel away from pier, seeing if you can leave your car there (may be cheaper anyway) and get a transfere to the port. they drop you off right at the gate.

Since you mentioned it - N.O. port is in a very congested area...and right now parking is a big problem, and seems to be getting worse if the reports I get are correct...that Fulton St. Garage is no longer accepting Carnival passengers!:eek:

That's incorrect. I was there two weeks ago and asked the police where they are directing passengers to park for the Sensation since I will be on her in 3 weeks!!!! Anyway, he said the Fulton St. Garage. They have been parking Grandeur and NCL passengers at the whale lot. I sailed on the Grandeur in December and didn't have a hard time at all. I've never used the garage because I'd don't want to wait for a shuttle to take me to a garage then come back and pick up everyone and luggage. It's not that far to lug your luggage down a couple blocks to the whale lot and be on your way.

That's incorrect. I was there two weeks ago and asked the police where they are directing passengers to park for the Sensation since I will be on her in 3 weeks!!!! Anyway, he said the Fulton St. Garage. They have been parking Grandeur and NCL passengers at the whale lot. I sailed on the Grandeur in December and didn't have a hard time at all. I've never used the garage because I'd don't want to wait for a shuttle to take me to a garage then come back and pick up everyone and luggage. It's not that far to lug your luggage down a couple blocks to the whale lot and be on your way.

Sand, I said "IF the reports I'm getting are correct....." I don't know for sure, but I've read several posts this past few days that say FS Garage is now for NCL passengers only; I didn't make it up.:D

The main reason I like FS Garage is because it's covered parking and is patrolled....and I've also heard that some vandalism has occurred at both the Whale Lot and also Manchu Pichu.:confused:

they both do have an atrium...however' date=' the sensation you can walk all the way around... the holiday you cannot. n.o. port was not that bad. they are doing some construction around it. the people we talked to did not have any problems. i would suggest staying 1 night at a hotel away from pier, seeing if you can leave your car there (may be cheaper anyway) and get a transfere to the port. they drop you off right at the gate.[/quote']

When did the Holiday gain an atrium? The three Holiday class ships were built with no atrium. You entered the ship on the "main" deck and there was the Pursers desk and shore excursion desk in this area. The Sensation has six story atrium.

I'm glad to hear that. I don't know how these false reports get around - but I do know that just the other day, somebody on this particular forum said they were turned away from FSG because they were going on Carnival instead of NCL.

You're smart to have called to see for yourself! Thx for the info.:)

Thanks for the heads-up, as we're leaving from NO in less than two weeks on Sensation. Where did you read that Fulton St has closed its doors to Carnival?

This could greatly affect our hotel/parking situation, so thank you in advance for any more information!

ON EDIT: After reading the many responses, I'm not as concerned as I was, although I do think more information is needed about Fulton St and Carnival. Honestly, parking at a hotel and cabbing it to the pier is sounding more and more appealing to me... has anyone else done this?

Another option is to park at Machu Piccu. They will take you to your hotel and pick you back up to take you to the pier. When you return, they will pick you up and take you back to your car.

We are on a 5 day cruise and will be parking an extra day and the cost will be $80.00. Not a bad price since our hotel offers parking for $24.00 per day.

http://www.machupicchutours.com

Sarah you need to compare prices. We did the Holiday in December and parking and embarkation was a breeze. We chose to roll our luggage off and the terminal and parking deck are connected. We have gone out of N.O. three times on Celebration, Inspiration and Conquest. I was a little apprehensive of going on such an old ship. I was quite pleased with the Holiday. Great shape, crew was friendly and lines aren't very long. Cost to cruise out of Mobile is ususlly less than out of N.O. I can't wait til they get a bigger better ship in Mobile, but for now I have no complaints. By the way we are sailing the Sensation in May so I can give you more specifics when I get back. Have fun planning!

Archived