Never had ins. before.... but how much on the line? can you help?

SailingGrace

Traveled all over and never had trip insurance. Fully covered w/ health insurance anywhere I am. So unless the insurance document is a source of payment where I don't have to pay upfront and then get reimbursed...medical coverage will be useless. Because I'd end up paying up front and then getting reimbursed anyway from my own med. insurance.

My concern is taking 3 ships, 4 flights, 5 different hotels.... alot of money on the line if something goes wrong somewhere.

Is this just one policy? Or would they consider each mode of transportation a different 'vacation'?

To help give better understanding:

April is flight to New Orleans.

Hotel in French Quarter.

Cruise on Carnival Elation.

Then flight (am stopping at home for 1 day to get items for next leg)

Then flight again to FLL.

Hotel.

Cruise on Crown Princess, transatlantic to Rome.

Hotel for 4 days.

Cruise on Mariner of the Seas round trip back to Rome.

Flight to Paris.

Hotel 5 days.

Flight home.

Will be home 1st week of June.

Or should I not even consider the New Orleans portion as part of the whole?

Traveled all over and never had trip insurance. Fully covered w/ health insurance anywhere I am. So unless the insurance document is a source of payment where I don't have to pay upfront and then get reimbursed...medical coverage will be useless. Because I'd end up paying up front and then getting reimbursed anyway from my own med. insurance.

My concern is taking 3 ships, 4 flights, 5 different hotels.... alot of money on the line if something goes wrong somewhere.

Is this just one policy? Or would they consider each mode of transportation a different 'vacation'?

To help give better understanding:

April is flight to New Orleans.

Hotel in French Quarter.

Cruise on Carnival Elation.

Then flight (am stopping at home for 1 day to get items for next leg)

Then flight again to FLL.

Hotel.

Cruise on Crown Princess, transatlantic to Rome.

Hotel for 4 days.

Cruise on Mariner of the Seas round trip back to Rome.

Flight to Paris.

Hotel 5 days.

Flight home.

Will be home 1st week of June.

Or should I not even consider the New Orleans portion as part of the whole?

Insurers generally consider a trip to be one departure from home through a return to home but several cruises can be combined into one trip. So it looks like you've got two trips. Once you've picked the best plan for your needs you might want to call them to see what they say.

Traveled all over and never had trip insurance. Fully covered w/ health insurance anywhere I am.

Are you 100% sure beyond a reasonable doubt.

Only reason I ask is because that's what I thought also until I researched and asked some questions.

I have United HealthCare. My company has provided the International Rider to our policy. However, when I started research I found a couple of problems which led me to consider travel insurance with medical even on "road trips".

1. I do have international coverage but only at "Out Of Network" coverage. 50% vs. 80%.

2. I do have Emergeny Evacuation but only to the nearest facility. (If I need additional care after stabilization but want to receive that care near my home,,, I have to pay for that transportation.) ((Coma? and wife wants to bring me home? $300K. I don't have that kind of cash laying around.))

3. Some facilities want cash up front or proof of ability to pay before any teatment is provided. United HealthCare will NOT provide this service. Many travel insurance policies will.

4. I die while on vacation. United HealthCare does not cover "Repatriation of Remains". Many travel insurance policies will.

Just my experience and concerns I use to make my final decision. Your mileage may vary.

BTW: Since you are going home for 1 day,, I believe you have 2 seperate policies.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived