Cabs available at the pier for hire as a tour?

Love.II.Cruise

Looks like I found some recommendations here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1336993

If anyone else recommends a "don't miss, have to see with your cabby moment" let me know.

We also thought of asking the cab driver to take us to their favorite lunch spot (and we'd pay for their meal) - is this wise or no?

Why not book ahead with one of the tour guides regularly mentioned here: Dora, Lee Miles, Claudia, or J.J. Taborda (who gave us an excellent tour). I am convinced that Cartegena was my favorite port when we took the Island Princess last year because we had such a good tour guide.

We arranged our tour in advance so that we could go exactly where we wanted to go and to avoid any and all shopping. In fact, the mere presence of J.J. as our personal guide kept the vendors away.

Yes, it was definitely more expensive than a cabbie tour, but we felt it was well worth the money we spent.

Why not book ahead with one of the tour guides regularly mentioned here: Dora, Lee Miles, Claudia, or J.J. Taborda (who gave us an excellent tour). I am convinced that Cartegena was my favorite port when we took the Island Princess last year because we had such a good tour guide.

We arranged our tour in advance so that we could go exactly where we wanted to go and to avoid any and all shopping. In fact, the mere presence of J.J. as our personal guide kept the vendors away.

Yes, it was definitely more expensive than a cabbie tour, but we felt it was well worth the money we spent.

I sent Claudia an email earlier and I'm hoping to hear back from her. The others, I need to do more research on on how to contact them. Was there anything for sure that you could say "don't dare miss?"

I thought the interior of the La Popa Monastery was lovely and the drive up there through the narrow streets of Cartegena was interesting. Having an interest in forts and military history, I particularly enjoyed the San Felipe fort, even the steep walk up to the top. Be sure your guide takes you through one of the underground tunnels.

Both places have amazing views of the city.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just got back, I would say book with one of the guides mentioned. We used Lee Miles, Claudia ended up being our guide and she was amazing. She knew everyone and quickly handled admission to all the museums etc with no hassle.

Archived