Beaches for Eastern Caribbean

I know this has been talked about a lot on this board but I still don't have a good feel for what's best. The basic question is what's the best beach for either St. Martin/Marteen and/or St. Thomas for the following situation. It will likely be 4 females ages 47/42/21/12. They are not very adventuresome so easy is important but also safe and clean. In addition, they likely will not stay all day. As a point of reference, there are no other formal excursions planned for those ports at this time. What I'd like to do is get a best option for each port that way if the group decides on an excursion at one, I'll be prepared to help them with the other.

Sapphire beach on St. Thomas is not quite as pretty as Magen's Bay, but much less crowded. Taxi is easy to either beach. We prefer Dawn Beach on St. Martin. Also an easy taxi ride. These beaches offer lounges for rent and places to purchase food and drink. Many prefer Orient Beach on St. Martin, but as with Magen's Bay, it can get crowded, especially if there are several ships in port. Also, be advised that you will see some nudity at Orient beach, even when you stay away from the nude area. They like to stroll the beach!

Another consideration at St. Thomas is Coki. A pretty nice beach with snorkeling literally right off the beach in waist deep water!! Snorkel equipment is right there at the beach for rent at reasonable prices. Also, no admission charge as there is at Magen's Bay. We really enjoyed Coki.

We were at Magen's Bay the middle of March. The water was beautiful. Nice beach but it does get very crowded.(Crowded does make for some fun people watching though!) Best time to get there is first thing in the morning. We got there about 9:30 and left at about 1:00. It was getting pretty crowded when we left. There is a 3.00 admission fee. They have lounge chairs,float mats and lockers for rent. it is definitely a fun beach - all age types.It is always easy to get a taxi there and back. Charge is 6.00 per person each way. Next year I think we'll try Trunk Bay at St. John's. Someone on our ship went there and said it was not as crowded. Also, I've heard it is much better if you like to snorkel. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.:)

Orient Beach...hands down, although I agree it can get a bit crowed if many ships are in port.

The DW wants to open her own massage hut their and retire. I'll tell ya, its tough being married to an RN who is also a massage therapist. Will the darn massages ever stop?

We just returned from our Eastern trip. Our two favorite spots were Orient Beach on St. Martin and Trunk Bay, which you get to by taking the ferry from St. Thomas to St. Johns. I will tell you, I almost didn't go to Trunk Bay because you get off the ship, take a cab across the island, get on a ferry, and then take another cab to Trunk Bay. It sounded like a lot of running around just for a beach. DO NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY! It took my breath away. I thought Orient Beach was the prettiest place I had ever seen, but Trunk Bay....well, there are no words.

Archived