Best Excursion for Couple (not snorkelling)

weneedavacationasap

My husband and I are going to be in St Thomas for the 1st time in Nov. Any recommendations on what to do? We aren't into snorkelling/ scuba but everything else goes... history tours, beaches, kayaking, party boats. Since it's our 1st time here we really want to make the most of our stop. Thanks in advance :)

I will give you the same recommendation I just gave others because it is our favorite itinerary, whether we're on 'ilan for the day or for the week.

You can include a nice beach, a fun lunch, and some historical stuff or shopping. Maybe head to Charlotte Amalie to shop or see the 99 steps listed below, then head for the beach, then return to Paradise Point and relax there before returning to the ship. Or head for Sapphire Beach then taxi back to Red Hook (3 minutes from Sapphire) and enjoy the Big Bambooz or Island Time overlooking the Red Hook marina. Both are fun spots, we like Island Time for the comfort food (pizza, meatball parm sub, and nachos & cheese with the works). But Paradise is a great spot because of the magnificent view of the harbor. You can be pretty flexible and taxi fares aren't too bad. Definitely worth the cab fare to enjoy a day ob STT!

Best beach options are Magens, Coki, & Sapphire, we prefer Sapphire Beach for the beautiful water and beach, great views of St John and Tortola, great dive center with a variety of chair, umbrella, and floatie rentals, and there are food and drink options. There is a small Banana Cabana grill serving pretty good burgers and mahi sandwiches and cold Heineken and Carib for $5 ea. And you'll see runners o the beach for pizza and food from the restaurrant behind the marina in Sapphire VIllage. There is also a nice sandy beach for swimming as well as a seagrass area where turtles and rays are often spotted. Coki and Magens are also good choices but we love Sapphire because it isn't as crowded on cruise ship days. We stayed there when almost 20,000 cruisers hit the island and Sapphire was not bad at all. Coki and Magens were very crowded. We do like Coki on quiet days because it's a much smaller bay and great for snorkeling.

History -

99 (103) Steps and Blackbeard's Tower on Government Hill along with the 1829 Hotel and more, close to shopping too when you walk back down. The old alleys off Main St are also very neat to explore while enjoying a cocktail.

Lunch/views -

End your day taking the taxi to Paradise Point for lunch or a snack and perhaps a Bailey's Bushwacker, and enjoy the magnificient view and the surroundings. Great staff and a fun spot for everyone to relax after shopping or exploring, Take the tram back down and see the Havensight shops on the short walk back to the ship.

Or stop in Red Hook instead, your choice. Just that Paradise Point has a great view of the harbor.

If you prefer to stay in CA try the margaritas and burger at the Green House at the other end of Main St, or the best burger and a Backstreet Bushwacker at Coconuts at 10th and Backstreet. But do try to make Paradise Point. We would have recommended Mountaintop but since it was rebuilt it's a souvenir store with a great view of Magens bay. You can get the same souvenirs in CA and beautiful views at Sapphire Beach and PP.

If you're more interested in being on the water there are several excellent day sail excursions available too, let me know!;)

If it's your first time, you should take one of the "2-hour", that actually last all day, island tours from Papa Bear of Air Force One, Henry of EEE Tours, Bruce Flamon (forgot the name of his tour company), or Sunny Liston. They've all been highly recommended on cruisecritic, and it includes a stop in town for shopping/sightseeing, a narrated tour of the scenic outlooks, and some beach time.

If you don't want to snorkel, you should go to Magens, because it's got bathrooms and a restaurant bar that are regularly maintained. There's also a hiking trail if you really want some exercise, though hiking that trail won't give you much beach time!

If you're more interested in being on the water there are several excellent day sail excursions available too, let me know!;)

Thanks for sharing your great experiences and suggestions for land activities. I'd be very interested in hearing your ideas for day sails and snorkeling experiences.

Archived