Dinner in the Lido on Maasdam

NOVACruisers

We're on the next Maasdam sailing and were just wondering how many nights the Lido is open for dinner. We have an old HAL brochure that says it is only open on certain evenings. A search of the HAL website didn't really say one way or the other. Can any of you wonderful HAL regulars enlighten me? Thanks!

We were on the Maasdam last spring and I believe the Lido was open for dinner every evening. They called it Casual or Alternative Dinner and it was served from 6:30 to 8 PM. We never ate up there so I can't tell you what it was like except from what other people told us. Evidently you went through the buffet line for your appetizer and salad and/or soup and placed an order with a waiter for your main course. Then you went to another area of the buffet for desert. The coffee, tea and water were also provided at the table as was the chance to order wine or a bar drink. The menu for the main course and the appetizers I was told was very similar to what was being served in the main dining room.

Hopefully someone who actually ate there can add their comments.

Have a great next cruise.

I'm sure it must be the same on the Maasdam as the ships I've sailed---the same as described above.

The menu entrees are usually most of what is served in the main dining room, with possibly one choice not available there.

You can check out the menus for both venues early in the day. They will be posted outside the main dining room. The menu for (at least) the Lido will also be posted in the Lido; can't remember if the dining room menu is posted there.

The Lido restaurant is open every night, and offers good food (usually some of the same dishes being served in the dining room).

One of our favorites was the "made to order pizza", which came the closest to tasting like the regular American-style pizza we all know and love. All the other pizzas (kids menu, room service, and on the Lido restaurant bar at lunch) were all "gourmet" style and did not taste good at all if you're just the everyday Domino's/Papa John's fan. For the "made to order pizzas", they were obviously using different ingredients because all the kids (and adults) liked those.

Just a caveat---the Lido restaurant is not open 24 hours as some ships... more often than not, we tended to hit it just as it was closing, so check your times. This was especially troublesome when the kids club closed at 10... lido was closed, room service was limited menu, and the kids were starving.... we finally got smart and started ordering room service at 9:30 so it would be there right when they got out!

The lido manager (at least on our 3/20 cruise) was always very attentive---best restaurant manager I've seen in a long time... he always was checking on his employees, passengers, cleaning of tabletops, etc.

Archived