Contact Lenses without an Rx

AshleyDillo

I think some people are assuming their opinion is right for everyone in every situation. That is not so. Each person has to do what's right for them, and while taking efforts to circumvent a law carries risks, certainly not everyone who picks up contacts without a prescription goes blind.

I do not use readers, and my prescription has stayed the same for the last 10 years in both contacts and glasses. My insurance only pays for one exam a year (as contacts are a luxury for the insurance company, but something I consider a requirement for everyday use - well because I like to see, and glasses are not the best tool for my life objectives.) So I balance that out with one year glasses, next year contacts, next year glasses, and so on. If I were not in the financial position I am, I would certainly start considering alternatives. I would weigh my risks over the benefits and make an informed decision that best fits me. Your opinion that it's bad for me wouldn't make a difference, much like telling a smoker their smoking will kill them doesn't impact them. So let's not have this debate.

There are people asking questions because they do want to understand why one would seek an out of the country supplier for contacts without a prescription. Allow them the answer without the lecture.

Personally, when I hit a certain age, something change - maybe allergies, maybe hormone combination, but I have yet to find contacts I can wear for more than 6 hours. I have worn contacts since I was 14 (my parents made me save my own money to purchase the exam and contacts, mostly to assure I took care of them, and really wanted them.). Now if I wear the same brand I'd been wearing for years my eyes develop conjunctivitis like symptoms, and only removing the contacts for days will help my eyes recover. I've had 2nd and 3rd opinions from optometrists, opthamologists, and allergists. No one can find the answer for me & I have never purchased contacts without a prescription. Now the eye doctor has me on daily disposables to use only on necessary/special occasions, and then only for 4 to 6 hours. In the meantime, I have also been trying different brands, to see if we can narrow down the materials so I can find one that I'm not "allergic" to - if that's even the problem. Because these brands are not commonly prescribed by my doctor and have to be ordered for my prescription, I have spent hundreds of dollars on lenses to try to see if they will work. If this could be solved by simply taking the existing info I have on my prescription - again that has not changed in many years - out of the country to purchase them at a reduced rate, and multiple brands all at once, it would be so tempting, and well worth the risk for me.

I can't see when I go to the beach, at any theme park, the pool, you know - anything you would normally do on a cruise. I'm not going to go into more of the conveniences of contacts vs. glasses debate, but please understand some people's prescription does not allow them to function if they take off their glasses, making some of these activities impossible without contacts - i.e. necessity.

Sorry this is so long, and thank you if you made it this far. I hope my answer would help you understand why someone who needs prescription contacts to seek out the non-prescription equivalent. It really gets my goat when people push their own morals and agenda on others that have the ability to make their own informed decision.

Not sure if anyone other than a local would know this or not...

Is there anywhere to go in St Thomas where you can purchase contacts without a Rx?

My friend was able to get contacts in Mexico without a prescription about 5 years ago, but we are going on an Eastern itinerary this time and I don't know if the Eastern Caribbean is as pharmacy-friendly as the Western.

We will also be going to St Maarten and Nassau, so those are also options.

I you will need a RX to buy on US Territory..i buy mine on internet and pay a lot cheaper...you can try http://www.lensdiscounters.com/ i been buying from them for years and i can understand you..im a contact lens wearer for more than 25years..and i have never had a problem!! but you cannot buy it withour Rx on USA territory...good Luck!!

Archived