Contact Lenses without an Rx

AshleyDillo

Not sure if anyone other than a local would know this or not...

Is there anywhere to go in St Thomas where you can purchase contacts without a Rx?

My friend was able to get contacts in Mexico without a prescription about 5 years ago, but we are going on an Eastern itinerary this time and I don't know if the Eastern Caribbean is as pharmacy-friendly as the Western.

We will also be going to St Maarten and Nassau, so those are also options.

What would be the point of buying contacts without Rx? They need to be the proper correction for your individual vision deficiency.

What is the point of buying them in the Caribbean on vacation?

I don't 'get it'. :confused:

What would be the point of buying contacts without Rx? They need to be the proper correction for your individual vision deficiency.

Many people buy corrective eyeglasses with no Rx everyday at Walmarts and Walgreen's across the country - no big deal, at least nothing to get upset about...:D

So....... Op is only looking for 'readers' in his contacts?

I didn't think people wore generic magnifying contacts.

I certainly am aware of drug store reading glasses.

Learned something new today. :)

Contact lens prescriptions are only good for one year. People know their prescription. If you wear glasses most of the time but still want contacts, the optometrist wants to charge you a huge fee just to let you have some contracts. They treat them like they are a controlled substance. Also, some greedy eye doctors have started prescribing exotic contacts that only they sell, so you have to buy them at inflated prices from them instead of buying Acueviews from Wal-Mart. So if you know what your glasses prescription is and you know what size your contacts are, you know exactly what you need.

Contact lenses are medical devices and need to be RX'd by an eye doctor just like medicine. And just like medicine, if not used properly and/or abused, they can cause harm. But, hey, what's a little vision loss?

LOL :p

Sorry anne but I think this topic has been covered, the OP explained the situation

Many people buy corrective eyeglasses with no Rx everyday at Walmarts and Walgreen's across the country - no big deal, at least nothing to get upset about...:D

:p LOL Sorry, I don't think that covered her topic at all. You can buy over the counter readers without an RX but not other types of glasses. And you can't buy contacts without a prescription (including colored) in the US and probably most other countries.

:p LOL Sorry, I don't think that covered her topic at all. You can buy over the counter readers without an RX but not other types of glasses. And you can't buy contacts without a prescription (including colored) in the US and probably most other countries.

Gotta say i know that not to be totally true. I purchased not one but two sets of colored contacts in Seattle just last year. No problem at all.

So maybe somebody would actually like to answer the original question?:confused:

Any contact perscription visit costs $100 or more, is only good for a year and you can only buy the contacts that the doctor wants you to have.

Thus forcing you to pay their prices.

My contact perscription has been the same for the past 10 years.

A single box costs $40. Most people load up on many boxes when they get a new perscription and don't go back for a new one until way after the year is up. How is a poor person suppose to afford $180 for a new perscription and 2 boxes of contacts?

I'm out of contacts and cannot see. I don't have $180 for a new appointment.

I don't have glasses, cause after paying for acontact appointment and contacts who can afford another $100 for a some glasses! So each day I wear dirty old disgusting contacts, which is does more damage to my eyes than buying contacts while on a cruise.

Contacts are plain and simple ...........huge revenue!!!

Optometrists Collusion?? Optometrists Conspiracy??

You can go to a free hospital if you are poor, but you can't get contacts. A doctor will even give you samples of a perscription meds when you make a visit if you don't have any money or he likes you. Doctors perscribe meds for family and friends all the time for that matter without a paid visit. You can get foodstamps and government assistance for anything these days, including housing and cars, but a simple box of contacts is impossible to get without paying $180 for both eyes. Government conspiracy??

I'm not working and didn't pay for the cruise. I'm not going to be able to do anything the entire trip that isn't free as it as with no spending money. Would be nice to be able to see clearly and SAFELY by having a simple box of new contacts. Hell even fresh pair would be nice.

• 2 months later...

Well said! Contact lenses even those without a prescription, require a proper fit. It has has nothing to do with greed and everything to do with ensuring your eyes are fit properly. I'll fitting contact lenses can cause a variety of problems, is that a chance worth taking? Also, a contact lens prescription involves 3 parameters, the RX, the base curve and the lens diameter. Thus the need for a prescription.

How about magnifying reading glasses from CVS or Walgreens? I've seen them for $10 or less.

Over the counter reading glasses do not require a prescription. As long as you know the correct power, don't have astigmatism and need the same power in both eyes, they should be fine. Contact lenses are a whole different animal and remember they go directly on your eye. These laws for Rx's and the like are there to protect us. After all, it's the FDA that regulates this stuff not the eye dr's.

So maybe somebody would actually like to answer the original question?:confused:

Any contact perscription visit costs $100 or more, is only good for a year and you can only buy the contacts that the doctor wants you to have.

A single box costs $40. Most people load up on many boxes when they get a new perscription and don't go back for a new one until way after the year is up. How is a poor person suppose to afford $180 for a new perscription and 2 boxes of contacts?

I don't have glasses, cause after paying for acontact appointment and contacts who can afford another $100 for a some glasses! So each day I wear dirty old disgusting contacts, which is does more damage to my eyes than buying contacts while on a cruise.

You can go to a free hospital if you are poor, but you can't get contacts. A doctor will even give you samples of a perscription meds when you make a visit if you don't have any money or he likes you. Doctors perscribe meds for family and friends all the time for that matter without a paid visit. You can get foodstamps and government assistance for anything these days, including housing and cars, but a simple box of contacts is impossible to get without paying $180 for both eyes. Government conspiracy??

I'm not working and didn't pay for the cruise. I'm not going to be able to do anything the entire trip that isn't free as it as with no spending money. Would be nice to be able to see clearly and SAFELY by having a simple box of new contacts. Hell even fresh pair would be nice.

In reality, the actual profit made from contact lenses is only a few dollars. Since you seem to know so much about eye health, maybe you should write yourself a prescription for them. And if money is an issue, then don't wear dirty contacts, simply wear glasses. After all, the reason some insurances, especially those provided by the govt, don't pay for them is because they are considered a luxury, not a neccesity. Leaving those dirty, bacteria infested contacts in your eyes is only hurting yourself and inevitably leading you to a visit with the 'dreaded, greedy optometrist' you so eloquently bashed.

I have been in your shoes and know the pain of shelling out the prices for contacts.

With that being said, I have had some luck going to wal mart and speaking with the people behind the counter. I set up an appointment, and explained I had a very old pair of lenses in that were causing irritation. The lady offered me a fresh pair to use until my appointment the next week. I found a place offering a contact exam cheaper so i canceled. So in essence I was given a free pair of lenses for nothing. You may have the same type of luck.

I feel your pain, OP. We also paid $40 per box for my son's lenses, but have now found that Sam's carries the exact same prescription for $13! I know this does not help you in your current situation, but when you do have the funds for a new contact fitting, I would for sure go there! Good luck!

Over the counter reading glasses do not require a prescription. As long as you know the correct power, don't have astigmatism and need the same power in both eyes, they should be fine. Contact lenses are a whole different animal and remember they go directly on your eye. These laws for Rx's and the like are there to protect us. After all, it's the FDA that regulates this stuff not the eye dr's.

That's my point.

Instead of dirty, old contacts, magnifying readers will provide the correction she needs. She doesn't have to use contacts if all she needs are readers.

We all see the magnifying glasses offered for sale, OTC, everywhere including home shopping channels on TV.

Most of us are aware they are not intended to correct astigmatism. ;)

Contact lenses sit on your eye and if not properly fit, can cause serious infections. Just like the rest of the body, the cornea changes and fit needs to be rechecked occasionally, which is why the prescriptions are good for only a year. Reading glasses sit on your nose and it they are the wrong power, you might get a slight headache for an hour or so, but no permanent harm. There are many companies that make different contact lenses, some of which are curved differently than others, which is why one lens type can not be substituted for another without the fit checked. Just my 2 cents, but as the note in my dentist office said - "Only take care of the teeth you want to keep", can easily be extrapolated to "Only take care of the eyes you want to see out of".

Archived