Formal nights on 10 day Panama Cruise

OPSnorkeler

We will be doing the 10-day partial transit Panama Canal trip on the Island Princess in February. This is our first cruise that will be longer than 7 days. I am wondering how many formal nights there are on the 10-day cruise and for which nights they are scheduled.

We will be doing the 10-day partial transit Panama Canal trip on the Island Princess in February. This is our first cruise that will be longer than 7 days. I am wondering how many formal nights there are on the 10-day cruise and for which nights they are scheduled.

I know there are two formal nights. But I do not know when they are scheduled.

Madelynn

I know there are two formal nights. But I do not know when they are scheduled.

Madelynn

Two formal nights on cruises of 7 to 13 days. They are typically on sea days (or early departure from port days) and I would guess they would be on the first sea day (day 2) and the next to the last sea day (day 8 or 9 depending upon direction itinerary). Formal night is not held on the last night.

You were dang close)! The Formal nights on the just passed cruise were the 3rd night (2nd full day) and the 8th night (7th full day)...

Two formal nights on cruises of 7 to 13 days. They are typically on sea days (or early departure from port days) and I would guess they would be on the first sea day (day 2) and the next to the last sea day (day 8 or 9 depending upon direction itinerary). Formal night is not held on the last night.

Have fun on the Island. We sailed on her the end of January into the canal and back out. We took the train ride over to the west coast and saw the locks over there along with parts of Panama City. It was well worth it. We were also able to see parts of the canal as we crossed the isthmus. We met some fellow pax who had taken the boat trip to the other side and they got stuck behind a freighter. It took all day to get to the west side and they were not exactly ecstatic about it.

By all means plan to be up at 5:00 AM on the morning they start entering the canal gatun locks. There will be three of them as they step the ship up into Gatun lake. It was very educational.

You will enjoy the Island as it is a nice ship.

It is a great trip, though we were on the coral instead of island. We have been on both ships and they are both great. We ordered room service and had breakfast on our balcony to view the early morning entry to the locks and the travel through the first ones until reaching Gatun Lake. One of the things Princess provided was materials to make a sign. It was fun making it, and it did show up on the Princess photos and videos that the photo people take from land, looking up at the Balconies as they pass. We did take the Princess excursion to go the rest of the way through the locks to the Pacific, and thought that it provided a completely different, up close experience. You appreciated the rising and falling of the waters in the locks much more so on a small boat. You also had a bus trip to and from the smaller boat, and our tour guide was very entertaining and informative on history of the canal and Panama in general.

Archived