TS Rina - what are possible alternitave ports for Dream 10/29?

Me76

My family is going on the Dream in 4 days, and it looks as though Rina may become a Hurricane in our path. Will the Dream possibly just divert to her Eastern Itinerary, or there any possible chance we may visit ports that are not normally on there Itinerary, such as Jamaica or Grand Cayman?

Just trying to somewhat plan the unpredictable :eek:

I'm in the same boat. I'm ready to board the Carnival Imagination today. I am assuming that we will not get to Cozumel on Wed. Since they have to go to a foreign port, I'm guessing Nassau. a private island would be better.

For you, I doubt that it would be Cayman, since that appears to be where the storm is headed.

I don't mind alternative ports - it's just that doesn't give me time to research options of excursions!

Same boat here as well. We are supposed to be in Coz on Saturday and according to TWC, it will hit the Yucatan on Saturday. And that's our only port. We've always cruised this time of year and have never had a TS to contend with so late in the season. :(

Me too. Coz our only port on Sat. Little 4 day out of New Orleans. At first I thought progresso, but they look like they will be in the outer bands of the TS. I guess a cruise to nowhere. bummer. I have some first time cruiser with us. Who would think a TS at this time of the year.

Me too. Coz our only port on Sat. Little 4 day out of New Orleans. At first I thought progresso, but they look like they will be in the outer bands of the TS. I guess a cruise to nowhere. bummer. I have some first time cruiser with us. Who would think a TS at this time of the year.

Hurricane Season ends the last day of November and this time of year Tropical Weather is more common in the Western Caribbean, not the Eastern....that said let's hope no damage comes with this Weather for those traveling now and those (me!!) traveling next month..

Based on eariler cruises running into the same problem, it's highly likely that Carnival will divert its ships away from potential hurricanes/tropical storms. For the Dream, that would mean a return to the Eastern Caribbean, versus the Western.

However, if TS Rina hits Coz on Saturday, when the Dream is still in Port Canaveral, and continues to move westerly across the Yucatan, as some models project, and there isn't any significant storm damage to ports of call,then it's most likely the Dream will sail it's Western itinerary, next week.

However, please pay clsoe attention to weather and to any notices from Carnival regarding itinerary changes. They will inform you as soon as changes are known. This especially applies for cruisers on ships scheduled to dock in Cozumel on Friday or Saturday of this week.

Based on past experience, Carnival more often just turns a missed port into a sea day rather than divert to another port if the weather comes up during the cruise.

When the weather has already occurred and they know in advance that a port is not doable they are SOMETIMES able to arrange for a different port.

Last year on the Conquest we didn't make MoBay due to docking problems and GC closed their tender operations. So we had 6 sea days and ported as scheduled at Cozumel.

Without trying to sound negative (because I'm really not) ... Hurricane season runs through the end of Nov. anyone cruising during that time is at risk of a "cruise port changes" myself included, I leave Nov 19th. Anyone living in Florida (MS, AL Ect) just a few short years ago knows the season lasted into December, it was so bad they ran out of Hurricane names and started using numbers... As long as your able to get on the ship it's a good thing they will find a place to go :). I personally wouldn't ever book any excursions off the ship (or not through Carnival) during hurricane season just in case just you don't make it to that port (easier to get a refund :p)

We are sailing 11/5, hoping no tropical storms or hurricanes affect us then. BUT I booked Carnival-sponsored excursions which said that if we don't make it to port we will be refunded. I also put down very small deposiits on private excursinos on other islands we are supposed to stop at and all of them said that they would refund our deposit if the ship doesn't make it to port, so I'm not worried.

As long as there is sunshine and calm seas, I'll be happy. Take me no where, I don't care!

We've always cruised this time of year and have never had a TS to contend with so late in the season. :(

All due respect, I wouldn't say we are late in the season. October can be pretty active. As you can see from the NOAA link below, the month of October is the third highest for storms.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/E17.html

Based on eariler cruises running into the same problem, it's highly likely that Carnival will divert its ships away from potential hurricanes/tropical storms. For the Dream, that would mean a return to the Eastern Caribbean, versus the Western.

However, if TS Rina hits Coz on Saturday, when the Dream is still in Port Canaveral, and continues to move westerly across the Yucatan, as some models project, and there isn't any significant storm damage to ports of call,then it's most likely the Dream will sail it's Western itinerary, next week.

However, please pay clsoe attention to weather and to any notices from Carnival regarding itinerary changes. They will inform you as soon as changes are known. This especially applies for cruisers on ships scheduled to dock in Cozumel on Friday or Saturday of this week.

Thank you for your answers.

I booked all of our excursions with either Carnival, or operations that work with the Cruise ships, except Cozumel. :( There I booked the Dolphin Discovery 3-in-1 swim (Dolphins, Sea Lions, Manatees), which, a. we are not supposed to book if we are on Carnival, and b. must give 4 days notice for 90% refund, or you get a certificate for the same swim, good for 1 year. Most likely, I will not be back within 1 year, so I figured I would be safe and cancel that excursion, get the refund, and rebook at least the dolphin part with Carnival. Now, I won't have to worry about any other ports, if we go, we go, if not, more drinking and gambling money for me and DH (too bad he doesn't do either ;)) and more slushee money for the kids!

Archived