Overcharged for Shore Excursion

ally10169

I got in the mail today from my TA a written confirmation from NCL for the 3 shore excursions I booked for DH and I for our upcoming 5/23 cruise on the Dawn. We booked the bus to Epcot for the Port Canaveral stop. This was listed as $40 pp but on the slip we are being charged a total of $140 for it (should be $80). My question, do I need to call and sit on hold forever to fix this or can I just ask that it be adjusted once we are on board?

Allyson icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till our 10th annivesary cruise without the kids!

I received my confirmation faxed today. I was charged the same mistaken amount as you. I did call and was told that there is a problem with the computer system and the confirmations are printing incorrecly, however that the price in the computer system is correct. I was told that they are not charged to yopur account yet and that it will charge correctly. I am planning on paying with credit card so that if it charges incorrectly I can dispute the bill.

Allyson - I was charged that amount for the same sailing. I spoke to a CSR who told me it was the system and they had no way to correct it and that it could be cleared up onboard.

It is still a little unsettling to be overcharged $50. Unless of course they want to throw in two park tickets for that $50!

Dawn 5/23/04

RCCL Enchantment 7/02

Carnival Glory 8/03

I know everyone wants to book things early, but try holding off until you get on board. Take a little time with the shore excusion staff ( do your homework first, know what you want, know the deal / price ), we found they put together extras at no charge, upgraded things, got extra tickets for less than the per-head advertised prices. There are sometimes big rush periods ( yes )on the first day, but there are always lulls, ask them when it's best to come back, they'll remember you ! These folks really know the ins and outs of their ship, what's happening, i.e. what THEY can do onsite ( if I can say it this way ) for you. Most ( 99% of the options do not sell out completely ). They are accomodating 2000+ guests.

The onshore / hometown TA's are not always in the immediate loop, and do not forget, they are paid commissions on what they sell you ( full charge amount, " errors " included !

I also did not book my shore excursions through my TA but directly through NCL so my TA did not receive any commissions on that. Also, one less thing to worry about when you are onboard to already have things you want booked!

Dawn 5/23/04

RCCL Enchantment 7/02

Carnival Glory 8/03

TA's are not paid commission on shore excursions.

I agree that often-times particularly popular tours do sell out. If there is something that I have my heart set on, I try to book in advance.

ally,

if you prefer to take care of it onboard, that is definitely an option.

I will tell you of my recent experience with the phone reps at the "Shore Excursion" phone extension.

I booked an excursion for one of the families in my group. When the e-mail confirmation came, I saw that it had the full price for 4 adults, when one of the passengers qualified for the kids fare. I had forgotten to mention this and apparently the system didn't catch it. (I must note that the lady who did this for me was the most pleasant cruise representative that I have EVER spoken with. She cracked me up!). I called back and spoke to a representative that said I would have to straighten it out onboard. Not the answer I wanted so I called back. I got an extrememly rude person who said that she had taken care of it. When I asked her for a confirmation e-mail, she transferred me to another line that had a full voice-mailbox, then disconnected (I should have known when she didn't give me her name at the beginning of the call like everyone else does). I called back and found that it hadn't been changed. The rep who answered, Mary, made the change and sent me the new e-mail. I feel better knowing that it is all taken care of before hand.

The issue may be different because of the computer glitch (OH how I have become familiar with those with my group over the past 8 months!), but it is true that some agents know more about the system than others. Some can do no more than the straighforward booking. Others know how to make changes. What I would do call Shore Excursions about 3 weeks prior to sailing in hopes that they have worked out the problem icon_rolleyes.gif. I would ask for "Mary" (cause I know she has more expertise) or Gioca (Yoka) because she had SUCH a great attitide and has promise for getting something done. I would try to find someone who could rectify the situation.

Likely they will have a system figured out onboard, as they will be dealing with this issue if the computer has messed up all the advance bookings for this tour, but there could be MANY passengers attempting to rectify this same situation onboard. I wonder if all the cruises previous to yours have had this problem and if anyone has feedback on how it was handled onboard?

Good luck and have a great time!

Thanks zimmerjulie - I am going to try to call back. I also was allowed to book an excursion that apparantly isn't available until the week after my sailing. When I called to cancel - i was told that it was available or the system wouldn't have let me book!

There are a lot of other things I would rather do on the cruise then to stand in line trying to clear up shore excursions!

Dawn 5/23/04

RCCL Enchantment 7/02

Carnival Glory 8/03

Archived