WARNING: Dangerous Excursion in Cabo San Lucs (official Port Adventure by DCL)

revel

Doll, obviously, I wasn't there, so I'll have to wait for revel's response to your comment. But here is what I got from the original post...

This man seemed to remain calm and civil in the face of an increasingly hostile and aggressive tone from the tour guide. Everybody follows his orders. No one responds in kind to his hostility. The OP continually thanks him for his "concern" and even mentions that,

"I breath deep, wife keeps her mouth closed, and we grin and bear the verbal abuse -- all of us do -- knowing we're close to being done with it".

Note that he was not alone in his concern about the guide's actions and tone (several others chose not to accompany the guide back to the ship).

Finally, there is no amount of smiling or lowering of tone that will work in response to a complete stranger putting his hands on me. That moves into the realm of a personal safety issue, and there is something to be said for having an awareness about your situation and circumstances in those cases.

Maybe I'm missing something in your response--I really want to understand--how would you have handled this situation?

Thank you for this thread, and I'm glad that everything turned out well. Good job protecting your family!

We're traveling with our family for the first time, and we're trying to figure out what to do in PV and Cabo with our baby. She'll be 1 when we cruise. We're also considering doing an excursion through CCL for the safety. If you could please post the name of the hotel that you went to, I'm going to contact CCL to see if they use the same one and AVOID IT!

Off-hand I don't recall the name of the hotel (would have to go through the pictures) but I just clicked the excursion link in my original post and all of the photos are of the hotel we were at. I'm also not certain I would place blame on the hotel (at all in fact), as they were quite helpful. It was the tour employee/guide that was threatening and I believe had very bad intentions. Everyone else working at the hotel was pleasant enough and none had the same vibe as the guide that was threatening to all of us.

Doll, obviously, I wasn't there, so I'll have to wait for revel's response to your comment. But here is what I got from the original post...

This man seemed to remain calm and civil in the face of an increasingly hostile and aggressive tone from the tour guide. Everybody follows his orders. No one responds in kind to his hostility. The OP continually thanks him for his "concern" and even mentions that,

"I breath deep, wife keeps her mouth closed, and we grin and bear the verbal abuse -- all of us do -- knowing we're close to being done with it".

Note that he was not alone in his concern about the guide's actions and tone (several others chose not to accompany the guide back to the ship).

Finally, there is no amount of smiling or lowering of tone that will work in response to a complete stranger putting his hands on me. That moves into the realm of a personal safety issue, and there is something to be said for having an awareness about your situation and circumstances in those cases.

Maybe I'm missing something in your response--I really want to understand--how would you have handled this situation?

Thank you for posting this. You are absolutely correct. The entire group tried their best to make light of the situation and smile, nod, obey commands (which itself is quite incredible), and generally accept this guy's terrible attitude from the start. Where things turned however, is when his incredibly awful demeanor transformed into threatening posturing and finally physical contact and very real concern for our safety.

Thinking back months after-the-fact, and re-reading my original post tonight, I can assure everyone that our experience was every bit as dangerous as I had originally described. I have no doubt we avoided something bad that day. I sincerely hope the guide is gone, for everyone's safety.

Doll, you don't have to believe us, but do consider yourself fair warned.

• 1 month later...

As an FYI and suggestion to anyone who ever has similar concerns.....

It doesn't matter how long the lines are at the excursion desk, at a minimum, you pick up the phone from your stateroom and you call them, and if they are busy, you make an appointment to go talk with them. This is the kind of thing that the ship needs to know about more or less immediately.

Last but not least, if you're involved in a situation where you sense danger, you do everything you can to get your butt back to the ship safely....immediately.

I'm not suggesting the OP is exaggerating the truth or overstating the sense of danger....

I am suggesting that if you're in a foreign land and you think the tour you're on is a sham or fraught with peril, get back to the ship and report it immediately.

Just thought I would share that Disney Cruise Line has now cancelled this excursion. We had it booked for April and got a call last week that it had been cancelled. We had it booked for the same reasons as the op, we have very young children. I was really dissapointed that it had been cancelled but now I know why and thank goodness!

Archived