Swim With Dolphin Excursions

BeccaBecca1713

Before you decide to do a Swim With Dolphin Excursion, consider what these mammals might possibly be going through, especially since they are in foreign countries with little to no laws or regulations to protect these creatures:

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/swim-with-dolphins-programs.aspx

I'm not belittling anyone's choice to do these things but just ask that you be informed/aware.

We participated in an open ocean dolphin swim with UNEXSO in Freeport. We asked the dolphin trainer if any of them ever took off, since they weren't contained and could leave if they wanted to. He said the teenage boys occasionally got wanderlusty, but were never gone for more than a couple of days at the longest. So I'm guessing they like their life there. :D

Before you decide to do a Swim With Dolphin Excursion, consider what these mammals might possibly be going through, especially since they are in foreign countries with little to no laws or regulations to protect these creatures:

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/swim-with-dolphins-programs.aspx

I'm not belittling anyone's choice to do these things but just ask that you be informed/aware.

I have always loved dolphins and it is for this reason and also how some of the animals are obtained (some by being beaten and kidnapped from their pod) that I will never swim with them. I don't want to contribute to further abuse and mistreatment of these beautiful animals. They belong in the wild and are not for my amusement.

It may be a wonderful experience for you...but think about the lives those poor animals live for your few hours of fun.

My girls were begging to do one of these, but after looking into it some (the documentary "The Cove" haunts me), we can't do anything that supports the business of the capture of these animals - no matter how well they're treated where they end up. Those are only the ones who survive.

Everyone PLEASE do some research before you support any captive dolphin exhibit. A good place to start is the Humane Society, at http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/captive_marine/ . Supporting these exhibits supports the capture and killing of dolphins, its just that simple! If you want to observe dolphins up close, I recommend Hilton Head, where the dolphin pod that lives in Calibogue Sound allows zodiac boats to approach to within a few feet, without any feeding or petting permitted, its a fantastic experience. There may be others, but HHI is the one I'm familiar with.

Yes, do your research. During your search the very last place you need to check is PETA. That organization is so far off the beaten track it isn't even funny. Every killed a fly? If so, you don't belong at PETA. If you really want to save the dolphins then I am assuming you aren't visiting any port that has dolphins in captivity. Right? By Carnival even stopping at a port with dolphins excursions you are in fact supporting it whether you like it or not. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let me say that I absolutely LOVE dolphins. Love them. Being a 40 yr old male I have no problem saying that. There is nothing, and I mean nothing like being in a kayak passed the breakers on Mustang Island Texas and having a pod of dolphins swim by, stop to check you out, and head on their way. There is nothing like seeing a HUGE pod of dolphins when you are offshore fishing. I must say that I HATE dolphins when we are fishing as they do scare everything off for a full square mile :)

Anyway, before you all slam these parks that put on the dolphin shows you might want to do some research. Are you aware that Sea World is one of the leaders in education, rehabilitation and conservation? Can PETA say that? Yes, it sucks that there are dolphins and whales housed in 'swimming pools' but you might want to take into consideration that they no longer bring in wild caught animals anymore. All are born in the park. Sure it doesn't make it right but it isn't like Sea World goes out and pays some bums to capture 'Flipper'. They do however spend millions to educate our younger generation, they do spend millions towards dolphin/whale conservation and so forth. When you put a end to places like Sea World then those of you that made it through 'The Cove' like I have will see American kids laughing and carrying on when Pop is out there bashing dolphins in the head. Now I don't need a Sea World type place to educate my kids and I am sure none of you do either but the vast majority of kids will never, ever have any knowledge of dolphins if it wasn't for a school field trip to Sea World. You take away the only place where they can be educated on dolphins and their conservation they will grow up not giving a damn if Pop makes a living killing them. Understand? Are you getting it?

Yes, it does suck that there has to be places like Sea World but I sleep well knowing they are doing what they do to educate the younger generation. Public schools are spending ZERO time on this subject and I am betting the parents could care less. I look at those housed dolphins and whales and I am thinking that they are taking one for the team. If you all understood how much good they are doing by living a crappy life then you wouldn't be so quick to 'set them free'. IMO it is a necessary evil.

If you travel in to the inner bowels of Mexico you will run across a dolphin park where they do in fact buy wild caught dolphins. Guests to these parks feed the dolphins hot dogs and chips (nobody working at said parks cares) until the dolphins get so fat they eventually die off. The park then buys some more dolphins. These are the parks you should be concerned about. These are the same dolphins you see captured in the doc 'The Cove'. Those dolphins aren't ending up at Sea World or the dolphin parks we visit through Carnival. :rolleyes:

Yes, places like Sea World and dolphin parks can be sad but you have to take the good with the bad. I am comfortable knowing literally millions of kids are getting a education, interaction and knowledge on conservation about dolphins even it some dolphins and whales have to live a crappy life. I tend to look at the big picture and the grand scheme of things.

Be careful what you wish for. You might actually get it.

^^^

Seriously.

Telling people to do research and then posting "research" from PETA. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm not doing a dolphin encounter. Strictly for my own personal financial reasons and nothing else. If I had the funds, I would go.

Sorry, who posted anything by PETA? I posted the Humane Society, which is pretty mainstream. I agree its hard to find "neutral" opinions on this issue, but I have tried, really. I understand the position that some dolphin facilities serve education, but I don't buy it. The same argument was used by zoos regarding captive elephants, and then most came around and closed their exhibits, and once they did the vets and trainers confessed to being glad they were sent to the reserves (I'm talking mainly about the Philadelphia Zoo, I followed that story). Anyhow, its everyone's own decision to make, I just don't like the "see the happy kissy dolphins" line of crap.

For those slamming PETA, that's fine I understand. Some of their tactics can be seen as extreme. I'm not a full-on tree-hugging, tofu-eating plastic shoe-wearing PETA supporter (have no problem with those are though:)). But they've done a few damn good things. Last year here in NC they busted a lab that was experimenting on dogs and cats and treating them horribly. The animal shelter I volunteer at rec'd 5 of the lab cats. They were so frightned. Knew nothing but being in cages, had never seen the light of day or had meaningful human contact. Amazingly, after just a few months these kitties flourished with love and attention and were all adopted to their forever homes. Without PETA, that wouldn't of happened. Just sayin'.......

As someone who has been in the veterinary profession for 13 years, I can assure you that if you want people to hear your point of view and consider it the LAST thing you want to do is support your view with PETA propaganda. Unfortunately, while PETA's intentions are good they damage their message by the tactics they use.

Regarding dolphin swims. I did one last August and had the time of my life. As a veterinary professional, I was concerned about the well being of the animals. These dolphins were in a natural cove that was fenced off. They were able to interact with each other as well as see natural wildlife living in their habititat. They were well fed and appeared very healthy.

As someone who has been in the veterinary profession for 13 years, I can assure you that if you want people to hear your point of view and consider it the LAST thing you want to do is support your view with PETA propaganda. Unfortunately, while PETA's intentions are good they damage their message by the tactics they use.

Regarding dolphin swims. I did one last August and had the time of my life. As a veterinary professional, I was concerned about the well being of the animals. These dolphins were in a natural cove that was fenced off. They were able to interact with each other as well as see natural wildlife living in their habititat. They were well fed and appeared very healthy.

Well said and possibly the end of this. I am getting the same conversation at home! I want to take our Grandson to do a swim and my husband watched the Cove. You can imagine:rolleyes:

We are swimming with them in Cozumel with the Lunch. already paid for...We love animals and Sea Life but at the end of the day its something we have always wanted to do...Its a once in a lifetime excursion...

I swam with the dolphins 2x in Cozumel. It was by far the best excursion I have ever been on. I still get goose bumps thinking about it. My brother in law was first put off by the price tag, but I told him to try it and tell me it was not the one of the best experiences ever. When I asked him afterwards, he was speechless. All he could do was shake his head and say WOW.

Thank You I actually posted a thread and have gotten some great responses about our Excursion so thank you for responding :) Yes that is what im hearing..we are excited...lets put it this way, im 43 now and up until I was a young adult I cried watching Flipper Im not kidding by the way... lol and I still love that movie....on another note to the other posters, Please dont preach as it becomes a personal Issue...and the fact that if you eat meat or chicken or Fish then I wont say anymore..I can post some gruesome stuff about that too but I wont...

I tend to take the middle ground on this, not because my opinion is in the middle, but because I accept both extremes.

Dolphins are harvested in often cruel and ignorant ways and forced into service of humans. The manner in which they are rounded up is outrageous, and this is well documented with undercover video that you can easily track down on YouTube.

But once they are in captivity (or even semi-captivity) they need to have adequate quality of care in order to survive and thrive -- they're too valuable to abuse. Dolphins are extremely expensive. And the more well-known an outfit is, the riskier it is for that outfit to engage in chronic abuse of their animals, because it would be a huge financial disaster if evidence ever got out. The fact is, many animals live longer and even happier lives in captivity, especially considering the likelihood that any given animal will be killed early in its life in the natural world. Nature can be unabashedly violent, and the overwhelming majority of young organisms never reach adulthood.

My personal decision is that I don't like the idea of keeping intelligent creatures in captivity, and I wouldn't enjoy a swimming with dolphins program. But I'm suspicious of the notion that this makes a worthy cause before we humans have managed to alleviate greater horrors such as the abuse of children, poverty, bigotry, and so on.

While swimming with dolphins wouldn't be my cup of tea, the fact that PETA is against it would lead me to seriously consider it.

Is it true that when PETA discovered these dolphin encounters and did a 'documentary' they were so appalled they asked for money three times?

PETA isn't perfect, but I agree with the OP that they have done quite a bit of good in shutting down some horrific operations.

I went on a dolphin excursion (the encounter) at Blue Lagoon with some misgivings. I haven't seen the Cove but I have read about the way in which some of the dolphins in a pod are captured & the rest slaughtered - I can hardly wrap my mind around that & it sickens me. When we heard the lecture before the interaction with the dolphins, we were told that most of their dolphins were born at the facility. And I was impressed with how concerned for their safety the trainers were, and it did seem the animals were well treated. They were not penned in, they could swim off & we were told the dolphin's participation was voluntary. At one point our encounter dolphin did take off, must not have wanted to hug the next person in line. The trainer told the woman "that is what it's like to be rejected by a dolphin" :p but eventually he did return & interacted with the whole group.

I read up on the history of the company (from their website, so yes it could be & probably is biased or card stacked) but one of their trainers did leave to work with the humane society & then returned to work at this facility again after a time. So I am hoping that this is one of the better ones, and that they honestly do only use positive reinforcement (as they claim) to train.

Wait, you're going on a cruise and you're worried about DOLPHINS? lol.

What about the actual non-salaried cruise employees? :D It really is true about most animal "activists", they care more about animal wellbeing (and can find anything to complain about, even against legitimate institutions) than they do about people.

I would guess the dolphins at MOST (note, I said most) dolphin cove/park/exhibit places, live better than most cruise ship employees.

Yes, do your research. During your search the very last place you need to check is PETA. That organization is so far off the beaten track it isn't even funny. Every killed a fly? If so, you don't belong at PETA. If you really want to save the dolphins then I am assuming you aren't visiting any port that has dolphins in captivity. Right? By Carnival even stopping at a port with dolphins excursions you are in fact supporting it whether you like it or not. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let me say that I absolutely LOVE dolphins. Love them. Being a 40 yr old male I have no problem saying that. There is nothing, and I mean nothing like being in a kayak passed the breakers on Mustang Island Texas and having a pod of dolphins swim by, stop to check you out, and head on their way. There is nothing like seeing a HUGE pod of dolphins when you are offshore fishing. I must say that I HATE dolphins when we are fishing as they do scare everything off for a full square mile :)

Anyway, before you all slam these parks that put on the dolphin shows you might want to do some research. Are you aware that Sea World is one of the leaders in education, rehabilitation and conservation? Can PETA say that? Yes, it sucks that there are dolphins and whales housed in 'swimming pools' but you might want to take into consideration that they no longer bring in wild caught animals anymore. All are born in the park. Sure it doesn't make it right but it isn't like Sea World goes out and pays some bums to capture 'Flipper'. They do however spend millions to educate our younger generation, they do spend millions towards dolphin/whale conservation and so forth. When you put a end to places like Sea World then those of you that made it through 'The Cove' like I have will see American kids laughing and carrying on when Pop is out there bashing dolphins in the head. Now I don't need a Sea World type place to educate my kids and I am sure none of you do either but the vast majority of kids will never, ever have any knowledge of dolphins if it wasn't for a school field trip to Sea World. You take away the only place where they can be educated on dolphins and their conservation they will grow up not giving a damn if Pop makes a living killing them. Understand? Are you getting it?

Yes, it does suck that there has to be places like Sea World but I sleep well knowing they are doing what they do to educate the younger generation. Public schools are spending ZERO time on this subject and I am betting the parents could care less. I look at those housed dolphins and whales and I am thinking that they are taking one for the team. If you all understood how much good they are doing by living a crappy life then you wouldn't be so quick to 'set them free'. IMO it is a necessary evil.

If you travel in to the inner bowels of Mexico you will run across a dolphin park where they do in fact buy wild caught dolphins. Guests to these parks feed the dolphins hot dogs and chips (nobody working at said parks cares) until the dolphins get so fat they eventually die off. The park then buys some more dolphins. These are the parks you should be concerned about. These are the same dolphins you see captured in the doc 'The Cove'. Those dolphins aren't ending up at Sea World or the dolphin parks we visit through Carnival. :rolleyes:

Yes, places like Sea World and dolphin parks can be sad but you have to take the good with the bad. I am comfortable knowing literally millions of kids are getting a education, interaction and knowledge on conservation about dolphins even it some dolphins and whales have to live a crappy life. I tend to look at the big picture and the grand scheme of things.

Be careful what you wish for. You might actually get it.

I agree with this post 1,000,000%. What some people don't get is that things as mundane as petting zoos humanize animals and that leads to more respect and better treatment of animals.

The "dolphin exhibit" works along the same principles. Hell, the "worst" dolphin exhibit I've ever been to was at National Aquarium in Baltimore. Basically the dolphin swam a couple of laps and we got a lecture. But that was the point, if there's no dolphin, there's no lecture. lol. No one would show up to "dolphin lecture".

Wait, you're going on a cruise and you're worried about DOLPHINS? lol.

What about the actual non-salaried cruise employees? :D It really is true about most animal "activists", they care more about animal wellbeing (and can find anything to complain about, even against legitimate institutions) than they do about people.

I would guess the dolphins at MOST (note, I said most) dolphin cove/park/exhibit places, live better than most cruise ship employees.

Ah, but your comparison is slightly flawed. The crew CHOOSE to accept employment on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to say it again, my post was not to belittle or scorn folks who choose these excursions. Just don't be naive about how these mammals are obtained and think these animals are living in the lap of luxury.

I'm a meat-eater. PETA probably has me on their watch list, LOL! But I know and understand about some of the horrible conditions that occur in the industry. Lawd help me, I watched Food Inc. Wow, what an eye opener! But yes, I still eat meat. But at least I don't pretend to be naive about it. I made an informed decision to continue my diet as it always had been. Just as folks should make informed decisions when choosing these excursions. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

get real, the dolphins at these excursions are as happy as your dog who has to play in your fenced in back yard with lots of attention from humans and other dogs to play with. Difference? I dont think so.. They were born in captivity.. same thing.

They were born in captivity.. same thing.

There is a cruel business in providing dolphins for these encounters that includes unnecessary slaughter. While the captive dolphins may be well cared for, I don't want to support the success and multiplication of these enterprises which would create more motivation for these awful dolphin captures. My girls would love a dolphin excursion, but for me it's not ok to put their amusement over the suffering of these animals.

There is a cruel business in providing dolphins for these encounters that includes unnecessary slaughter. While the captive dolphins may be well cared for' date=' I don't want to support the success and multiplication of these enterprises which would create more motivation for these awful dolphin captures. My girls would love a dolphin excursion, but for me it's not ok to put their amusement over the suffering of these animals.[/quote']

The Japanese aren't going to stop slaughtering marine mammals just because you don't go to a dolphin exhibit. Hell, that means they'll probably just slaughter more.

Archived