Tipping and Taxes

shazam89

I have always cruised at my family's expense, but now that I am planning my own trip, I am clueless as to tipping and such. When I get the price from the ncl website with tax included, that does not include the tipping correct? How does tipping work? I think I heard that they automatically charge a $15/day onto the credit card that you use? I mean I believe that they should be tipped and I will tip, but are we "required" to tip the $15? or how much that it was?

thanks!

the price you see online is the cruise fare total. It is includes the cabin rate plus any port taxes and fees.

The tips/daily service charged is charged to your onboard account once you onboard the ship unless you call up NCL and tell them you want to prepaid

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Your on board account will be charged $12 per day per person for gratuities. This covers your cabin steward and all the waitstaff in the restaurants (specialty restaurants, too) as well as many others behind the scenes.

You can remove the service charge, but only if you are very dissatisfied with the service. It's not recommended.

In other situations gratuities will be added to your bill. If you buy a drink, a gratuity will automatically be added to your bill. This is also the situation for spa services. If you are in a suite you need to give the butler and the concierge a gratuity as they provide service but are not in the tip pool covered by the $12. Some people also give the room service delivery person a tip.

I have always cruised at my family's expense, but now that I am planning my own trip, I am clueless as to tipping and such. When I get the price from the ncl website with tax included, that does not include the tipping correct? How does tipping work? I think I heard that they automatically charge a $15/day onto the credit card that you use? I mean I believe that they should be tipped and I will tip, but are we "required" to tip the $15? or how much that it was?

thanks!

yes, it is added to your daily account but it is $12, not $15 and pretty much in line with the other mass marketed cruise companies. We just did Princess, they add $11.50 per day. yes, you are pretty much required to tip the amount unless your service is really bad. If that is the case you will then want to talk to the head housekeeping or the dining room, wherever and try to solve any concerns and problems you have. If you figure out how many ways those tips are split and what you would pay on land, you will realize $12 isn't a whole lot of money.

Nita

Archived