What happened to Grandfather(ing)?

Wekiva Jim

I think it is not really about the tipping, or smoking, or even the fuel of the past, it is the way Carnival has a way of kicking it at you in a take it or leave it attitude. No respect for its customers that have had vacations booked for 6, 8, or more months. Just Oh yea, we are going to charge you additional, because we can! I know tips are optional, but it is an implied semi mandatory fee.

Tips are optional, though I will admit some newbies may not be aware of their rights vis-a-vis removing/adjusting.

Last fall it was the up charge in some dining rooms for better steaks.

This is a gross distortion of the facts and apparently moot with the new menus.

a few years ago it was the red fruit punch, because of the carpet, and/or smuggling alcohol use

Complaints about what is or not available for a beverage has no bearing on this discussion IMO

What will be next, fuel, luggage fees/restrictions, pay if you want on or off the ship faster?

Fuel is a possibility at anytime.

Fuel is a possibility at anytime.

I think it is not really about the tipping, or smoking, or even the fuel of the past, it is the way Carnival has a way of kicking it at you in a take it or leave it attitude. No respect for its customers that have had vacations booked for 6, 8, or more months. Just Oh yea, we are going to charge you additional, because we can! I know tips are optional, but it is an implied semi mandatory fee.

Tips are optional, though I will admit some newbies may not be aware of their rights vis-a-vis removing/adjusting.

Last fall it was the up charge in some dining rooms for better steaks.

This is a gross distortion of the facts and apparently moot with the new menus. Why, Carnival tried to charge for "Better" steaks, people did not like it, and if what you are implying is correct with the new menu, they stopped it, (because it was not getting used?)

a few years ago it was the red fruit punch, because of the carpet, and/or smuggling alcohol use

Complaints about what is or not available for a beverage has no bearing on this discussion IMO NO it doesn't, but it was a topic of Carnival changing things

What will be next, fuel, luggage fees/restrictions, pay if you want on or off the ship faster?

No the thread was a comment on what could they do next? and I was pointing out what has changed in the past. All of which caused an uproar on CC, at one point or another, or are my guess what could happen (luggage fees/restrictions, and Pay if you want on or off the ship faster)

Sorry if this did not meet your requirements for a response to an open board thread.

Thank you Waldo. Nice to see somebody someone actually understood the thread's title and read the original post. I merely wrote about the latest changes and wondered out loud what else I might get hit with.

And as far as tipping, I'm getting bored with the folks (here and on other threads) who keep saying it's only $1.50! It's not! It will cost folks over 10 bucks a week each. To cancel a cruise after final due date WILL cost more than the increase, so you have to bite the bullet on this one too.

While I would agree that this is a nominal (and fair) increase, the way it was presented to those of us past the final payment date left alot to be desired. "Grandfathering" is the term used when you allow current users to be exempt from new rules, and I hope Carnival learns about it soon.

Actually it is $3.00 a day more based on double occupancy. If passengers don’t like it. Don’t pay it. I don’t think it is a big deal. You will still pay 15% tips on all drinks purchased on the ship. You can’t get out of that one.

Exactly, it is optional even those grandfathered can adjust it or drop it if they chose.

I am really getting sick of reading about all the people who are too tight or too poor to cough up an extra $1.50 per day on tips. If you can't afford to to pay the tips you should'nt be crusing. A cruise is still the best bargin around for the money. Be thankful and blessed.

I am really getting sick of reading about all the people who are too tight or too poor to cough up an extra $1.50 per day on tips. If you can't afford to to pay the tips you should'nt be cruising. A cruise is still the best bargain around for the money. Be thankful and blessed.

Why do people keep talking out of both sides of their A**/mouth.

First it is only $1.50 and if you are to tight/poor you should not cruise.

Then you are shopping for a bargain vacation.

Which is it, are you thrifty or wasteful?

I just don't like the justification that is being used that the workers deserve a raise, for all they do. If they deserve a raise the Carnival should pay them more.

If they are going to improve service more from the excellent (?) service they provide now, then they deserve an increased tip.

But don't make/suggest that we pay them more, to get better service.

Just because I don't like the way it was presented, or exaggerated on CC, does not make me cheap. It makes me cautious.

I still wonder how much of the money Carnival keeps as their "transaction" charge for handling the tips. (this is my opinion, not fact) I would not be surprised if the crew did not get 100% of the tip money collected from guests.

Sorry for the venting,

Don't really care, but matter of principle, I have still not heard from either Carnival or the Ta used for my upcoming December Magic cruise. My on-line documents still say it is $10 a day per person. As usual I cannot get the TA to return my calls or e-mails.

Actually it is $3.00 a day more based on double occupancy. If passengers don’t like it. Don’t pay it. I don’t think it is a big deal. You will still pay 15% tips on all drinks purchased on the ship. You can’t get out of that one.

i don't agree with that one either.

when carnival switched to an optional s&s card, they clearly said they would be adding a 15% gratuity to your drink pruchases, but you could adjust any time. you were supposed to cross off the tip, enter the amount desired, and total.

you were also supposed to match to your s&s statement.

eventually it was switched to no cash, obviously.

the last time i did this was in 2007, and it still worked.

you should not be bound to the amount you wish to tip for poor service.

The big problem is the use or OPT-OUT, for the already booked instead of the OPT-IN. Yea you can wait to get on the ship and opt out or adjust. So what if all the workers feel you removed something they are now entitled to. So what if you have to wait on line and feel awkward at the front desk. Great way to start your vacation. Fair would be to be able to Opt in if you chose too. When they are spending your money you should be the one to chose to opt in!

The big problem is the use or OPT-OUT, for the already booked instead of the OPT-IN. Yea you can wait to get on the ship and opt out or adjust. So what if all the workers feel you removed something they are now entitled to. So what if you have to wait on line and feel awkward at the front desk. Great way to start your vacation. Fair would be to be able to Opt in if you chose too. When they are spending your money you should be the one to chose to opt in!

The reason for auto-tips in the first place was too many people weren't "opting in". :rolleyes:

Archived