Entertainers

eratog2

Does anybody know the procedure for being employed as an entertainer on Cunard? Not for me I hasten to add, but I have been asked by a friend in the entertainment business here in Cyprus. Is it done through an agency, or direct to Cunard? Hope someone can help me with this, as he really is very good and I think the right genre for Cunard (swing/big band).

Does anybody know the procedure for being employed as an entertainer on Cunard? Not for me I hasten to add, but I have been asked by a friend in the entertainment business here in Cyprus. Is it done through an agency, or direct to Cunard? Hope someone can help me with this, as he really is very good and I think the right genre for Cunard (swing/big band).

The Cunard careers site seems to mostly list vacancies for waiters and chefs etc.

I did a google search and these sites came up.

http://www.proship.com/

http://www.cruisejobfinder.com/JobDescriptions/activity_entertainment_jobs.php

I don't know how successful (or legitimate) these websites are. It may be best to wait until your onboard and then ask one of the entertainers themselves. They'd would know for sure which is the best way.

Thanks for that - I'll pass the information on. I will definitely ask when I'm on board too. There are no agents in Cyprus, as we are so small all the entertainers do their own promotion and bookings, but I will put it to him about getting a UK agent. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for that - I'll pass the information on. I will definitely ask when I'm on board too. There are no agents in Cyprus, as we are so small all the entertainers do their own promotion and bookings, but I will put it to him about getting a UK agent. Thanks for your help.

No worries Jean. I'm onboard before you, so if I do end up chatting with any of the entertainers I will certainly make enquiries for you.

Unless of course someone comes up the answer before then :)

Yes, I saw that too :) I liked Vibz - but then again, I was in the Caribbean. It was the DJ who totally spoiled the evenings when he came on - we were all up dancing to the band, DJ comes on and plays Abba Fernando - erm, no, we all sat down then . . . . . . . :confused:

Yes, I saw that too :) I liked Vibz - but then again, I was in the Caribbean. It was the DJ who totally spoiled the evenings when he came on - we were all up dancing to the band, DJ comes on and plays Abba Fernando - erm, no, we all sat down then . . . . . . . :confused:

It was the opposite for us. The DJ was our only respite from Vibz.

I like Abba but I agree that Fernando is too slow.

I see they have a vacancy for a DJ position. Maybe the feedback does get listened to. Hopefully there will soon be a vacancy for an onboard band.

Once current contracts expire, and the re-flagging takes place, I suspect you'll have your wish.

It was the opposite for us. The DJ was our only respite from Vibz.

I like Abba but I agree that Fernando is too slow.

I have been traveling on QM2 since 2004, and I could swear he plays that same song every time. The selection of DJ music hasn't changed since then it seems.

He does take many requests, but there does not appear to be much to choose from.

He didn't seem to know any modern music - somebody I was sat with responded to his usual "requests please" plea by shouting for Jai Ho by the Pussicat dolls - he played Don't cha and Jenny from the block. Took us ages to realise he thought it was J Lo(pez) and Pussicat dolls - honestly! Still, we had a laugh :D

He didn't seem to know any modern music - somebody I was sat with responded to his usual "requests please" plea by shouting for Jai Ho by the Pussicat dolls - he played Don't cha and Jenny from the block. Took us ages to realise he thought it was J Lo(pez) and Pussicat dolls - honestly! Still, we had a laugh :D

What I found strange, and others have experienced the same thing, is that he would follow up a requested song (usually something quite popular which had a lot of people on the dance floor) with some rubbish song which resulted in 99% of the dance floor looking at the DJ with a 'what the' look on their faces.

This would be followed by almost everyone leaving the dance floor. This happened so many times. The point of being a DJ is to fill the dance floor with people having a good time. This guy seemed to think his mission was to empty the dance floor. It's a good thing he never became a doctor.

Still, as bad as he was, he was a million times better than Vibz.

Despite the lack of good DJ music, however, G32 does seem to be very crowded quite often. Then again, it's the only nightclub 'in town'.

I did always wonder why the DJ chose the music he did. Possible theory: the fewer people dancing, the more people sitting. The more people sitting, the more people buying more drinks!

Actually, makes sense when you think about it. They won't make money if everyone's dancing all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
I see they have a vacancy for a DJ position. Maybe the feedback does get listened to. Hopefully there will soon be a vacancy for an onboard band.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/About-Cunard/Employment/Shipboard-Recruitment/Entertainment/Entertainment-/Disc-Jockey-/

Date posted: 08 Sep 2011

Disc Jockey

Job Description

Principal Functions

General Function

To host the Night Club onboard a Cunard ship.

To assist with Entertainment Staff duties as deemed necessary by the Entertainement Directo

Requirements

Necessary Skills

• Experience hosting and operating in a nightclub

• An outgoing personality and good knowledge of the English language.

• Good microphone technique

• Radio or television broadcasting experience an asset

• Good knowledge of standard Night Club and sound & light equipment

• A wide knowledge of all styles of popular music.

• The ability to please an audience by responding to requests and moods.

Specific Duties

• Presents nightly entertainment in the ship’s disco, mixing the selections, introducing songs and hosting the room to create a lively atmosphere.

• Maintains his own collection of CD's suitable for a wide range of guest tastes including a wide range of 50’s – 70’s rock and roll, Motown, Disco and current popular selections.

• Maintains all nightclub equipment with the assistance of the Stage Manager and ensures that all problems are reported to the correct depart6ment.

that vacancies been open a while

& its an awful job description!

Perhaps it's the realisation that they have to share the nightclub with a Caribbean band that makes the job unattractive. It would be hard to find a professional DJ that thought that was a good idea.

Perhaps it's the realisation that they have to share the nightclub with a Caribbean band that makes the job unattractive. It would be hard to find a professional DJ that thought that was a good idea.

"Maintains his own collection of CD's suitable for a wide range of guest tastes including a wide range of 50’s – 70’s rock and roll, Motown, Disco and current popular selections."

we had a brilliant pianist on in the RCT called David Howarth, & he bashed out quite a bit of Lady Gaga

when even your big performers are using brand new material, & they stick the dj with old stuff, is it any wonder they always come across badly?

yet there must be loads of young dj's in the UK & US that would do a spell on board the transatlantics.

Archived