HAL ending Bermuda Cruises after 2012

Willsot

wow--good to know. i actually found this thread by googling HAL bermuda (why i didn't just search on here is beyond me!) because i'm considering a sailing this coming summer. guess i should do it, as it's the only time i'll be able to!

i visited bermuda for the first time in october and loved it. i didn't mind being at the dockyard, but having an extra day (ish) is appealing, as is being docked in hamilton. so i guess it's HAL for my husband and i this summer! (or maybe i'll go without him in may! or maybe BOTH!)

Elbodans, I have done NCL Majesty, Dawn, and Gem to Bermuda and HAL's Veendam to Bermuda. Having read your experiences in Bermuda from the Dockyard you would definitely love the experience docking in Hamilton. The sailing into the harbor and the Front Street location was quite an experience. I suggest going for it! I took hubby last June on Veendam and we both loved it. You are an adventurer and the Veendam is a totally different ship and experience all together. Of course, many things are the same when it comes to cruising, but it is always good to try different lines.

coka

Elbodans, I have done NCL Majesty, Dawn, and Gem to Bermuda and HAL's Veendam to Bermuda. Having read your experiences in Bermuda from the Dockyard you would definitely love the experience docking in Hamilton. The sailing into the harbor and the Front Street location was quite an experience. I suggest going for it! I took hubby last June on Veendam and we both loved it. You are an adventurer and the Veendam is a totally different ship and experience all together. Of course, many things are the same when it comes to cruising, but it is always good to try different lines.

coka

i'm an adventurer, am i? well gee--thanks! that's possibly the best compliment i've ever received!

i'm thinking my husband and i will be doing the veendam in june. we just have to wait to book until we get through the winter. he's a teacher, so the end of the school year is changeable depending upon how much snow we get. ugh...snow...

oh and for the record, i did really like being on the Gem (obviously) so i'd sail with NCL again. but for some reason, HAL appeals to me (though i'm now reading some not so great things about the veendam on here--but i guess i'll just have to wait until june and judge for myself!)

I am disappointed that HAL could not figure out a way to sail into both St. George's and Hamilton. Maybe using one of the other S class ships that had not been altered. I am also disappointed that HAL will again be severing this connection between the line and this lovely island, which goes back generations. Here is an image showing three different Veendams in Bermuda. First we have the Veendam(ii) of 1922, shown in St. George in the early 1930's. Second we have the Veendam(iii) of 1958 shown anchored in the Great Sound in 1981. Finally we have Veendam(iv) shown departing in Hamilton Harbour. Three lovely HAL liners, one great island.

6467812427_86e61fd54e_b.jpg

Archived