Friends have to cancel...

Marietta

Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions. With everything going on right now they just cancelled rather than deal with trying to change it up. It hurts, but it is "only money", and hopefully things will get better by getting the surgery done now. And yes, they did say they WILL get travel insurance next time. Hopefully this won't come up with us again, but I like to think it has helped a number of people in the future. I love how helpful everyone at CC is!

I can understand their priorities at this time. Hope all goes well with his surgery.

Ok...Here is my suggestion.

Lets say you have the two rooms, which we will call Room 1 and Room 2.

You and your spouse are Passenger A and Passenger B and you are assigned to Room 1.

Your friend and their spouse (that want to cancel) are Passenger C and Passenger D and are assigned to Room 2.

The two people who you want to go in their place are going to be Passenger E and Passenger F.

Here's what you do.

1) Switch Passenger B to Room 2 and Passenger D to Room 1.

2) Cancel Passenger C and replace them with Passenger E.

3) Cancel Passenger D and replace them with Passenger F.

Now you will have Passengers A and F in Room 1 and Passengers B and E in Room 2.

When you get to the ship, Passengers F and B trade room cards...problem solved.

Sounds like a plan!! Good job.

I think your friends "self insured" without thinking about it. If the costs of a cruise are low enough, it makes sense to self insure for cancellation; many have medical that would cover them when they travel. Lots of people self insure inexpensive trips; they figure that they break even on cancellation insurance it they only have cancel one trip out of five. Just a different way of looking at cancellation insurance that may make them feel better.

We have never gotten insurance, but do know what we are getting into. After a dozen cruises and several other big vacations, I guess we are due to pay up. I always tell people traveling with us that it is up to them, I hate to tell people to spend money we won't spend, but would feel awful if this happened after we told them not to bother (it never came up this time). This was their second cruise, the first was just a couple hundred dollar last minute trip to Cozumel and was their first "vacation" in around 20 years. I just feel so bad that they lost out AND what they are going thru medically...

We have never gotten insurance, but do know what we are getting into. After a dozen cruises and several other big vacations, I guess we are due to pay up. I always tell people traveling with us that it is up to them, I hate to tell people to spend money we won't spend, but would feel awful if this happened after we told them not to bother (it never came up this time). This was their second cruise, the first was just a couple hundred dollar last minute trip to Cozumel and was their first "vacation" in around 20 years. I just feel so bad that they lost out AND what they are going thru medically...

Well since they have already set their priorities on what is most important to concentrate on now, I think it's time you let it go as well. That is meant in the kindest way as you seem like you really do have a big heart.

You state "I always tell people traveling with us that it is up to them" and then say "I would feel awful if this happned after we told them not to bother". Even if it did happen in this situation, telling them it is up to them is not telling them not to bother. You should continue to remind people that travel insurance is an option and it is up to them. Just now you have a story to tell them to reinforce maybe why they may want to consider it more seriously.

Archived