Cruising without baby?

Mrs.C05

As others have said, keep your options open. One factor to consider is the baby's temperment. If they are easy going, then traveling with them is easier, but if they are higher maintenance or colicky, then you might choose differently.

We went on our first cruise when our eldest was 6 mos old and didn't double check that the flight was going to be 5 hours long with him on my lap. Good thing he is easy going. Oh what you learn! Our second cruise was after our second DS came along and he was 15 mos. old. He learned to to walk on that cruise because he didn't like the way the carpet felt when he crawled. Oh what they learn! We've been on five cruises so far and they keep asking when we are going again; although they have been saying they want to check out the Legoland in Florida.

You have to do what is best for your family and you probably won't know what that is until your "family" arrives. I'm sure there will be lots of travel in your future though; especially since it is so much fun to see the world through their eyes.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a first time mom of a 11 month old and I can say that before I had him I thought that I could have left him, but now that he is here I can tell you that there is no way I could leave him.

Ditto. We ended up bringing Grandma on the cruise to babysit when my DD was 15 months old. Is that an option for you? We're planning another cruise a year from now when she'll be 27 months old and will be bringing her. A year after that I will consider leaving her with the grandparents, but I'm still not sure I can do that at 3.

I had to travel for work when my DD was 6 months old and rather than leave her behind for 4 days, I paid for a plane ticket for my mom to come take care of her. There is no way I'd leave her overnight, not even now at 16 months, not even for one night. I never thought I'd be this way.

• 10 months later...

I can't believe I never came back to this! I guess I was busy with my baby. :D Yes life has certainly changed, he is my world!! He's the happiest baby ever and I love him to pieces. We have left him overnight a few times here and there but I am always itching to get back to him as soon as possible. This one will be very hard. I am leaving him with a family friend, she's like a 2nd mom to me. I am very nervous but I know this time away will be good for DH and I.

Wish me luck!

No, it's not bad to leave your baby with someone you trust to love them like you do (Grandparents will love and care for your child better than you ever will....guaranteed!)

so don't worry and don't feel guilty about leaving them. It's not a bad thing.

Um, yeah, I don't think so!

Sometimes I am amazed that some of us made it to adulthood. :rolleyes: No one can take care of my children better than me. Just ask my kids. ;)

So I pulled up MS Explorer the other night and on my home page was a headline -- "Parents return from European vacation to find their baby lost" and the story was that the parents left the baby with grandma who became "overwhelmed" and left the baby with another relative who got called into work, so she left the baby with a friend. Parents come home and no one knew where the baby was (grandma said left it with relative, relative cannot be found). So crusinmama06 's comment really hit home!:D

So I pulled up MS Explorer the other night and on my home page was a headline -- "Parents return from European vacation to find their baby lost" and the story was that the parents left the baby with grandma who became "overwhelmed" and left the baby with another relative who got called into work, so she left the baby with a friend. Parents come home and no one knew where the baby was (grandma said left it with relative, relative cannot be found). So crusinmama06 's comment really hit home!:D

Um, yeah, so that's exactly why I wouldn't leave him with my own mother. 'Nuf said.

Hope you enjoy your cruise without baby and future cruises with baby! It's a different experience than just the 2 of you, but so great in different ways! We've really enjoyed our cruises with him and have one in just 2 weeks. Can't wait! Enjoy your cruise!!

Couldn't agree more! No replacement for parents! Everyone is different but I wouldn't really enjoy myself while wondering about my child even if left with loving and capable grandparents. We also didn't want to stop cruising after baby and haven't. We really enjoyed our cruises with him. Are they different than before? Sure, but still very fun. I'd say it makes more sense to wait and see how you feel after baby is born and then make your decision. Whatever it is, happy cruising!

I am really pushing to add him to our March cruise. I think this coming up cruise (in a few days) will tell me how I'll do. I do fine with a night away here and there, but for 4 days? Sounds like torture! But everyone I talk to says I need this as a wife and mother. Sigh. I'll let you guys how I do, and how Ethan does also.

I am really pushing to add him to our March cruise. I think this coming up cruise (in a few days) will tell me how I'll do. I do fine with a night away here and there, but for 4 days? Sounds like torture! But everyone I talk to says I need this as a wife and mother. Sigh. I'll let you guys how I do, and how Ethan does also.

Yes, please come back and let us know how YOU do. There is no doubt that he will be fine ;) the question is how YOU do without him. :)

It's funny reading this from 2011 because I had just returned from my cruise without my girls and I came home and booked a cruise with my girls (and husband). So we went back to Bermuda - then only a few short months later I woke up one day and booked a MOMMY and GIRLS ONLY cruise right back to Bermuda. So I must have REALLY missed my girls lol

I hope you have a great cruise!

Yes, please come back and let us know how YOU do. There is no doubt that he will be fine ;) the question is how YOU do without him. :)

It's funny reading this from 2011 because I had just returned from my cruise without my girls and I came home and booked a cruise with my girls (and husband). So we went back to Bermuda - then only a few short months later I woke up one day and booked a MOMMY and GIRLS ONLY cruise right back to Bermuda. So I must have REALLY missed my girls lol

I hope you have a great cruise!

Yes I will come back and tell you how I did.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

We started cruising with my son when he was 11 months old though we have seen others cruise with younger babies. I think I would not personally do it just because of the risk of a potential health issue and no pediatrician available. Also, some infants can be fussy and cry a lot at night so I would not want to inconvenience others.

We have cruised many times both with and without my son - usually we do one Europe cruise every summer and for that one we leave him with my parents. But for Caribbean/Bermuda cruises we have always cruised with him and had a great time at different ages.

Since you are booking so much in advance I'd definitely get travel insurance with cancel for any reason clause and carefully read the T&Cs on it. Some policies are not really "for any reason". If you have never had kids, the first few months can be very emotional for a mother and you may not want to leave your kid alone. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying anything can happen.

We started cruising with my son when he was 11 months old though we have seen others cruise with younger babies. I think I would not personally do it just because of the risk of a potential health issue and no pediatrician available. Also, some infants can be fussy and cry a lot at night so I would not want to inconvenience others.

We have cruised many times both with and without my son - usually we do one Europe cruise every summer and for that one we leave him with my parents. But for Caribbean/Bermuda cruises we have always cruised with him and had a great time at different ages.

Since you are booking so much in advance I'd definitely get travel insurance with cancel for any reason clause and carefully read the T&Cs on it. Some policies are not really "for any reason". If you have never had kids, the first few months can be very emotional for a mother and you may not want to leave your kid alone. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying anything can happen.

I'm already looking at bringing him on our future cruise. He'll be 1 year and 1 week old.

I really disagree! I'm sorry but parents take care of their children better than anyone, even grandparents.

OP, you just won't know what you're comfortable with this far in advance. What if you're breastfeeding? What will you do then? I would wait to book.

I agree. We're grandparents and we love our granddaughter immensely. We have taken care of her and enjoyed it very much. If something happened to our daughter (God forbid!) we would do everything we could for our granddaughter. However, there is no way--just no way--that we could love her or take better care of her than her mother. There's no way that anyone could have loved or taken care of our daughter better than we did.

I agree with your second comment as well, but not only regarding breast feeding. It's impossible to know now how well the baby would take to either travel or staying with anyone other than parents at that age.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer regarding taking children or leaving them with others who love them. It's a personal choice and different for every family. Many, like us, did some of both with most trips for the whole family and some just for mom and dad. As long as parents understand the extra work involved in traveling with children of any age, there's no reason not to do it. Our daughter traveled from the time she was a baby and her own daughter is a travel pro at age 4. Start 'em young if you can!

beachchick

My husband and I just returned from a mini vacation (including a 3-day cruise) without our 14-month old. It was my first time being say for her for more than a night, and it was a much needed "recharge" time for us. Our daughter stayed with grandma, and they had a great time. We missed her, but we're glad to have some time alone as well.

We are taking her on our November cruise though, and we're excited to share these experiences with her!

I can only share my experience.

Two weeks ago DH and I took a 3 day cruise without DD (she's 20 months). It was our first time away together without DD since I was pregnant. We did not do much, but the relaxation time together was much needed and appreciated. That being said, often we'd find ourselves planning for our first cruise with DD next year--what we plan to do in Nassau with her, what the toys for the toddlers look like, what she'll like, etc.

DD stayed with my parents and had a ball. She usually spends 1 night a week at their house when I'm out of town for work so she's used to sleeping over there. I had to start leaving her for a couple nights a week for work when she was 3 months old. Although we are used to that arrangement, I did find myself a bit more anxious over both DH and I leaving for 3 days.

We wouldn't hesitate to do it again, but are really looking forward to sailing with DD in May.

I am back and I survived, lol! Ethan didn't even notice I was gone. I am looking at adding him to our March cruise though. I have him all day long, everyday, so I am used to taking him everywhere with me. I called each morning to check-in on him.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Just read through this and also have to disagree. Theres no way in HECK that anybody, including grandparents, would take better care of my kids than me. I'm their mom! Noone will ever take care of, or love them, like i do :)

Glad you had a good time OP! I hope you can take ds on your next one if thats what you choose. I took my daughter on a cruise at 10 months in 2010 and then again last week we went when DD was almost 3 and DS was 18 months. I loved cruising with them and seeing how excited they got about things :)

Archived