Last minute Antarctica questions

mringenoldus

Maybe current or past Silver Explorer cruisers could help me......

The Charter flight from Buenas Aires to Ushuaia will be on LAN. Does it leave from the domestic or international airport? Is there anyplace to find this information (our final documents arrive on Monday)

What is the weight limit for luggage on LAN? Are 2 bags per passenger allowed?

Are there self-service washers/dryers onboard?

Has anyone ever received a last minute upgrade or upsell offer on this ship?

Thank you!

Maureen

We were on last December. Flight left from the domestic airport...as for luggage, it will all be in your documents. I remember we took one checked bag each and a small duffle for the plane, since this is what the docs stated. No one weighed or seemed to care how much luggage we had. When we checked in, there was a women who had 6 large suitcases. Nothing was said. It was amusing, she had a different parka everyday which coordinated with her various Chanel boots.....I looked forward to the the next outfit...a bit over the top...felt very under dressed in my red Silversea parka and mud boots.

Hi Beth,

Do you happen to be on the 12/22 sailing?

My husband may have to bring two bags because he bought his boots ahead of time (not sure why - and to make it worse they are camo colored!) My son only plans to bring one bag, but rented his boots from SilverSea.

Maureen

Re upgrade, etc. Most of these cruises sail as sold out....only if someone misses their air connections would something be available. This happened last year and they did move a few people around....unfortunately, we found out too late to put our name in....don't know how they selected.

• 3 weeks later...

Maureen, I love your "get even." Enjoy London with your son and grandson.

I am getting concerned about the 11 lb weight restriction of the carry on on the chartered flight. Can anyone who has taken this flight give me an idea of what kind of luggage you used? I am thinking about using one of those light weight fold up bags. Also can I bring a purse and will it be weighed? I've purchased a Scottsvest and will see how much I can stuff in it.

Hi Beth!

I got even more even this week....Virgin Atlantic put their upper class seats on sale so I move our reservation to them. Lie flat beds....ahhhh :)

Garrit thinks he is going to have to check his carry on backpack as a piece of luggage for the charter. I have sent him with those Purex laundry sheets because he plans to wash clothes during the trip to get everything packed. I think the darn boots are going to be the problem.

Does anyone know the best way to get from the airport to Recoleta? I could also email the hotel and ask.

Maureen

Maureen, I love your "get even." Enjoy London with your son and grandson.

I am getting concerned about the 11 lb weight restriction of the carry on on the chartered flight. Can anyone who has taken this flight give me an idea of what kind of luggage you used? I am thinking about using one of those light weight fold up bags. Also can I bring a purse and will it be weighed? I've purchased a Scottsvest and will see how much I can stuff in it.

If it's anything like 2009, don't sweat it. We kept one of our full-sized carryon bags (a 21" roll-on) in the room until the morning of disembarkation, and then couldn't check it because we'd missed the luggage pickup from the pier. We ended up having to carry it on the charter flight because there was no one to check it with at the airport in Ushuaia. It probably weighed over 30# and no one even blinked.

The charter was a full-sized plane, like an Airbus 319 or 320. Plenty of overhead bin space and the flight was not full. It was a 3-3 configuration with 2 people for every 3 seats. Space was not a problem at all.

To answer an earlier question about the airport - it seems to vary. Our charter left from the International airport, but when we flew back we landed at the Domestic airport. I don't think you find out until your final documents arrive, and it's probably subject to change even then. When SS gives you the final information in BA, I suspect you'll know for sure!

Our charter left from the International airport, but when we flew back we landed at the Domestic airport. I don't think you find out until your final documents arrive, and it's probably subject to change even then. When SS gives you the final information in BA, I suspect you'll know for sure!

JP & Chris, Thanks so much for the info on the luggage. I feel somewhat better about it now.

Our final documents arrived this week and state that our flight to Ushuaia leaves from AEP (Newbery). Many of us traveling on this cruise have booked my own hotel in BA, I certainly hope SS doesn't change our flight to EZE? How would we find out?

Does anyone know the best way to get from the airport to Recoleta? I could also email the hotel and ask. Maureen

Maureen, Your getting even is getting even better!!!

As far as the best way to get to Recoleta, I'd think the taxi driver would know. Now I'm wondering about the taxis in BA? I do remember reading that it's best to have the hotel to call for one. How safe are the taxis from EZE? Anyone have comments or suggestions?

I wouldn't think they would change the outbound charter airport from Newberry. It would be a night mare to be sure everyone was contacted.

I'm going to contact the Howard Johnson Recoleta for transfer advice. They will be a bit tired so I want to make it as easy as possible. (They don't have those lovely flat beds :))

This is the last weekend of waiting prior to Garrit and Tristan's Antarctica sailing! While it will be sad that they will be so far away at Christmas (for me - not so much for them :)) this is going to be the trip of a lifetime!

I believe that Caryl and her daughter are already in Buenos Aires having a little fun before boarding.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me plan this trip for them....All I can say is that they better send plenty of pictures!

Maureen

Thank you, Beth!

My son called from Germany this morning. He is the duty officer tomorrow which means he has to be available until he leaves on Tuesday. He has a buddy driving him to the train (Frankfort airport parking is outrageous)

Garrit is going to work on Tuesday morning at the university and then heading to the airport.

If it wasn't that they are so happy - I'd be feeling more sorry for myself staying home without them at Christmas.

I hope you have a great holiday!!

Can't help with answers as we will see you there on Thursday. Leaving Indiana tomorrow night to fly to Buenos Aries via Miami, overnight at Park Hotel then on the Ushusia on the LAN charter flight. I better start packing. See you there. Laura from Indiana.

Hello,

Ivy and I are here already. We had a nice 3 days in Iguazzu Falls, but now are back in Buenos Aires. Ivy did come down with something this evening and has a low grade fever. I hope it does not turn into anything.

I hope your guys have a great trip. We look forward to meeting them.

Caryl

Poor Ivy! Please tell her I hope she feels better very soon. Thank goodness she has a couple days to rest in the hotel room.

Did you notice that Laura (Honor) has joined the other thread I started? She is leaving from Indiana tomorrow evening. Hopefully, the big storm heading through Texas and Oklahoma won't cause her any travel delays.

Sending healthy wishes your way!

Maureen

Archived