Rough Seas in the Med on Legend

lbkjj

We were on the Nov. 4 2011 7 day " Yachtsman's Riviera" cruise on the Legend from Rome to Monaco. We had the roughest seas I have experienced on over 30 cruises. From Toulon to Monaco, we encountered consistent 60 knot winds with gusts to 85 knots. The forecast was for 35 knots and the Captain said he never would have left the port if he knew what awaited him. Five cabin windows were broken on various parts of the ship. A fellow passenger shot this video and pictures.

Storm at sea

We missed all five of the scheduled tender ports but still had a great cruise. The staff, food and ambiance all were first rate.

We were on the Nov. 4 2011 7 day " Yachtsman's Riviera" cruise on the Legend from Rome to Monaco. We had the roughest seas I have experienced on over 30 cruises. From Toulon to Monaco, we encountered consistent 60 knot winds with gusts to 85 knots. The forecast was for 35 knots and the Captain said he never would have left the port if he knew what awaited him. Five cabin windows were broken on various parts of the ship. A fellow passenger shot this video and pictures.
Storm at sea

We missed all five of the scheduled tender ports but still had a great cruise. The staff, food and ambiance all were first rate.

Unbelievable and scary! Great video, glad everyone is safe.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh no! We're on our first cruise (ever) on Odyssey in just over a week. Please assure me we'll have blue skies and calm seas. ;)

The only thing you can predict about the Atlantic, is you can't predict it! Remember we're on a 'big sister', not the 'little sister' this video was shot on...

The latest forecast, still too far out for our sailing, for the Med suggests calm seas, with the Atlantic a little choppier, but nothing too serious - or remotely like what the Legend experienced.

There's a reason these type of bookings are marketed as off-season, repositioning, etc. and priced accordingly. Chances increase that the weather and sea conditions may be unfavorable thus creating the experience of:

"Cruising for a Bruising". ;)

Oh My!! I sailed the Legend the week prior to you and was also on Deck 6 (Cabin 313), so your video said a lot to me. My husband actually had your week off of work as well and we were sorely tempted to stay onboard, however this mom needed to get home to the kids.

I'm so sorry that you missed so many of the tendered ports... did the ship dock somewhere else instead or just continue sailing? You attitude is to be commended, and I'm happy you had a wonderful voyage in spite of the constant "sea spray". 5 broken windows... wow!

One more thought... did you meet Ben, the bartender aft in the Club? He had only been on board a few weeks when we boarded and was even more seasick that I was on our leg to Malta. I felt so sorry for him, he had to continue serving while putting on a happy face but I could see he was really suffering. I hope he managed OK!

My wife and I really liked Ben. We enjoyed talking to him when he had time. We took a picture of him on one of our last nights to show our friends. He looks and sounds like a good friend of ours and we wanted to show them how close they looked the same. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcbusinesshub/6457902689/in/photostream

Ben gave us advice on sea sickness and told me a bloody Mary would help. LOL My video clip was fueled on sea sick pills and his bloody Mary. The video was from room 316 so it was very close to yours. The staff amazed me on their professionalize when I knew they were as green as I was.

We missed ports but went to alternative ports that I really enjoyed. I hope to see Ben and the others again some day.

Archived