Overnight in Venice

Aussieguys

We're a gay couple (48 and 41) and have just booked our second Med cruise on the Solstice, departing Sep 2012. We've booked adjoining cabins with two friends (gay guy and gay girl) who we are travelling with. The cruise has an overnight stop in Venice. Any suggestions of how to spend our evening in a gay-friendly environment? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions!

We're a gay couple (48 and 41) and have just booked our second Med cruise on the Solstice, departing Sep 2012. We've booked adjoining cabins with two friends (gay guy and gay girl) who we are travelling with. The cruise has an overnight stop in Venice. Any suggestions of how to spend our evening in a gay-friendly environment? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions!

You are in for the treat of your life just sailing in to Venice ... it just magic and a sighteeing tour on its own.

Venice is such a wonderful place just walk the street and find a romantic restaurant ... thats what we did.

I made a Youtube of our visit to Venice ... have a look at

We were also on the Solstice ... out of Barcelona. It was a great cruise with quite a few FOD onboard ... lots of fun.

Neil

Thanks for your responses Schplinky and Neil. Venice sounds wonderful and we're really looking forward to visiting. Neil, your pics are great and really give a feel for the place.

It seems like romantic dinners are the go. Eating out will surely be a highlight, but it's not really what we had in mind. We are hoping for something a bit more upbeat. Venice doesn't seem to have much of a gay scene and I was wondering what the general vibe in Venice is at night? Does Venice come alive at night or does everyone go home after their romantic dinner?

It seems like romantic dinners are the go. Eating out will surely be a highlight, but it's not really what we had in mind. We are hoping for something a bit more upbeat. Venice doesn't seem to have much of a gay scene and I was wondering what the general vibe in Venice is at night? Does Venice come alive at night or does everyone go home after their romantic dinner?

Hello,

The scene in Venice has very much changed over the last few years.

Yes, many do the 'romantic dinner then home' and I recommend

http://www.latoazzurro.it/eng/index.php for the first bit of that.

It's not that the scene is 'underground', more it's got smaller as being gay is not the issue it once was.

The few remaining gay(ish) places are:

I Due Girasoli Bar

A lesbian-owned bar plays old hits from the 70s to the 90s along with jazz sounds, has a mixed crowd throughout the day.

http://www.centrale-lounge.com/

A stylish place where gay and straight mix on most nights.

http://www.portodemar.com/

The only truly gay bar in town is found in Mestre, where both local gay men and visitors from Italy and elsewhere cruise around the place.

Much is spontaneous and Antonio at http://www.alleguglie.com/index.html

may be able to say what's going on.

Regards,

Cublet

PS: Wereabouts in Brisbane are you from? I used to live on the corner of George & Margaret.

That's really helpful cublet - thanks! We can't wait to explore Venice during the two days but also want to discover the city by night.

We live on the southside of Brisbane. It's a nice city to live in :)

Cublet curtseys (or would if he could remember whether it was left over right or right over left then down).

I cannot remember what I was trying to 'get a little man in' to do for me, but when I gave my address in Brisbane it was as if the river acted like the Berlin wall.

Have fun in Venice - you must buy some Murano glass whilst you are there.

Regards,

Cublet

There really is no gay nightlife in Venice as you may know it in cities of comparable size in Australia or the U.S. While there are gay friendly bars and restaurants, whatever that means, gays and lesbians will be in the minority. If you want to experience any real gay nightlife, you will have to head over to the mainland. My experience with night life in Venice in general is that after the hordes of day tourists leave it becomes fairly quiet. One word of general Venice travel advice is not to spend most of your time in San Marco/Piazza San Marco area, but instead venture at night into the piazzas, bars and restaurants on the other islands across the bridges, such as Dorsoduro or San Polo, where you will find a more authentic Venice experience. Have fun.

Thanks LACruiserGuy. All of these comments have been really useful and I now have a good idea of what to expect.

I'm guessing we'll do just as you suggest, crossing the bridges and discovering. Sounds wonderful and we're really looking forward to it. We wont head off to the mainland as we're not desparate for gay nightlife - but if it was there to be had, we would have liked to have a peek ;-)

And Cublet - the Berlin Wall indeed! I rarely venture to the other side. LOL.

Archived